Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

26 Jan 2018 17:27

Nirvana wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Netserk wrote:Confirmed he'll ride Ronde! I hope we'll see him in great shape in Liège, but also the races before that.

"I would like to do that, only there is the problem that the Tour of the Basque Country starts a few days later." (actually it starts the next day on 2nd of April) "There is a logistical problem for the time being to find a plane after the finish that will take me there in time. "

Sean Kelly in 1984, 1986, 1987 and 1988 in eight days rode Ronde, Pais Vasco and Roubaix.

Yeah but a) that was a different era and b) Nibali is not Kelly
Brullnux
Veteran

26 Jan 2018 20:03

Brullnux wrote:
Nirvana wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:
Netserk wrote:Confirmed he'll ride Ronde! I hope we'll see him in great shape in Liège, but also the races before that.

"I would like to do that, only there is the problem that the Tour of the Basque Country starts a few days later." (actually it starts the next day on 2nd of April) "There is a logistical problem for the time being to find a plane after the finish that will take me there in time. "

Sean Kelly in 1984, 1986, 1987 and 1988 in eight days rode Ronde, Pais Vasco and Roubaix.

Yeah Kelly never won a GT much less all 3 of them!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

26 Jan 2018 21:46

Kelly won the 1988 Vuelta, and should have won it in 87 too.
dastott

26 Jan 2018 21:55

He never even rode the Giro until late in his career. In an era when it was set up for flatlanders like Moser and Saronni to win it, it’s a shame Kelly was committed to Spanish sponsors like Kas and so had to ride the Vuelta.

And let’s not sell Kelly short. In 84, he was 2nd at MSR and the Ronde, then won Pais Vasco, with 3 stages, Roubaix, and Liege.

And he still has 1 more Lombardia than Nibali. And 7 more monuments overall.
Leinster

27 Jan 2018 03:56

Brullnux wrote:
Nirvana wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:

We are in an era where should be even easier to find a plane, it's a nonsense complain about travel problems nowadays if already thirty years ago was possible to ride in Flanders on sunday and then fly to Pais Vasco to ride the day after (and even fly back to north France at the end of the race to ride Roubaix).
Nirvana

28 Jan 2018 14:25

My point was more to do with recovery and fatigue rather than logistics. Nibali's comment about planes I'm pretty sure was a way of saying that he's spectical of doing a very tough monument, and then follow it up with a hard week-long stage race. The plane was sort of a light-hearted was to say this, because I'm sure the prince has a private jet if needs be.
Brullnux
Veteran

28 Jan 2018 14:50

Actually was him that asked to the team management to ride the Ronde.
If he thinks it's undoable for him why asked to ride?

Anyway also Pais Vasco is a strange choice, muritos and pretty short stages are the worst for him and if i recall correctly also when he targeted Liege and Tour like in 2012 he didn't go to Pais Vasco.
Nirvana

28 Jan 2018 15:35

Slongo says it's pretty much a done deal to ride the Ronde. Hopefully some exciting spring racing ahead.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

28 Jan 2018 18:00

Nirvana wrote:Actually was him that asked to the team management to ride the Ronde.
If he thinks it's undoable for him why asked to ride?

Anyway also Pais Vasco is a strange choice, muritos and pretty short stages are the worst for him and if i recall correctly also when he targeted Liege and Tour like in 2012 he didn't go to Pais Vasco.

The Tour this year has a finish on the Mur de Bretagne, correct? And I think another murito-type finish as well? Perhaps having more racing on this type of finish will be good preparation for the Tour? Given the 2017 Vuelta, it definitely is something that can be a problem for Nibali, so working under race conditions to address it makes sense to me, but I am hardly expert on this sort of thing.
Summoned

Re:

28 Jan 2018 18:11

dastott wrote:Kelly won the 1988 Vuelta, and should have won it in 87 too.

Wow, my Bad. I forgot that!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

28 Jan 2018 18:13

Rollthedice wrote:Slongo says it's pretty much a done deal to ride the Ronde. Hopefully some exciting spring racing ahead.

Hopefully he can top 10. That would be a great result and set him up for the pave stage in Le Tour.
Alberto Contador=Legend!

User avatar Carols
Veteran

28 Jan 2018 18:14

Nirvana wrote:
Brullnux wrote:
Nirvana wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:

We are in an era where should be even easier to find a plane, it's a nonsense complain about travel problems nowadays if already thirty years ago was possible to ride in Flanders on sunday and then fly to Pais Vasco to ride the day after (and even fly back to north France at the end of the race to ride Roubaix).

There was a rest day inbetween the races back then

Of course, Nibali is not Kelly and it's unfair to expect him to be
User avatar GuyIncognito

28 Jan 2018 18:24

Nobody is asking Nibali to ride Roubaix
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

28 Jan 2018 18:38

GuyIncognito wrote:There was a rest day inbetween the races back then

No, was the same as today with Ronde on sunday and Pais Vasco starting the following day on monday.
Nirvana

Re:

28 Jan 2018 18:54

Nirvana wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:There was a rest day inbetween the races back then

No, was the same as today with Ronde on sunday and Pais Vasco starting the following day on monday.

I'm talking about Roubaix. Pais Vasco had the two last stages both on Friday. But now split stages are forbidden so they extended the race to Saturday, leaving no room for Roubaix. I was responding to the Kelly comparison.
User avatar GuyIncognito

28 Jan 2018 19:48

The comparison with Kelly is nonsense. Nibali is a very succesful GT rider who has won and podiumed one day races throughout his ongoing career and this includes one monument won two times. Kelly was a very successful one day and shorter stage races rider who also has won one GT. A more suitable comparison would be with Felice Gimondi. Vincenzo needs to win in Innsbruck bag another GT and a couple of monuments and they are even. It's doable.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

28 Jan 2018 19:57

Rollthedice wrote:The comparison with Kelly is nonsense. Nibali is a very succesful GT rider who has won and podiumed one day races throughout his ongoing career and this includes one monument won two times. Kelly was a very successful one day and shorter stage races rider who also has won one GT. A more suitable comparison would be with Felice Gimondi. Vincenzo needs to win in Innsbruck bag another GT and a couple of monuments and they are even. It's doable.

Doable, but a very very hard task. He will be a favorite in Innsbruck imo, but there's some other riders with an equal chance. GT's are harder to come by for him...even when it isn't the Tour. Froome's current situation could help things...I do feel he definitely has another monument in him.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

28 Jan 2018 19:59

Yes and Kelly could be compared to valverde
topcat

30 Jan 2018 12:12

looking more likely now that Nibs will get a back-dated vuelta 2017
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

30 Jan 2018 15:05

TourOfSardinia wrote:looking more likely now that Nibs will get a back-dated vuelta 2017

It will mean nothing to him. I’m sure he’d have liked to win it on the road.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing