Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

09 Sep 2017 18:12

That picture makes me sad.

Honestly I think the year has been tough and frustrating for Nibali. He's a man of pride, but despite not giving a **** about 2nd or 3rd he hasn't really had the legs to attack, or he hasn't really gotten a chance to make it a mano á mano battle.

I hope he's got a few big years left. Cycling needs him now more than ever, and I'm not too happy about him doing the Tour next year. On the other hand, the Tour does suit him better than the Vuelta.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

09 Sep 2017 18:16

The program should be Liegi, Tour, Worlds.
Yes we just lost Contador, hopefully he does have some more years!
User avatar Climbing

Re:

09 Sep 2017 18:18

Red Rick wrote:That picture makes me sad.

Honestly I think the year has been tough and frustrating for Nibali. He's a man of pride, but despite not giving a **** about 2nd or 3rd he hasn't really had the legs to attack, or he hasn't really gotten a chance to make it a mano á mano battle.

I hope he's got a few big years left. Cycling needs him now more than ever, and I'm not too happy about him doing the Tour next year. On the other hand, the Tour does suit him better than the Vuelta.

If he gets Visconti, Ion, Gorka and Delfino as domestiques (and maybe Cink), then I'm ok with him riding the Tour (that would probably mean that Pozzovivo would be the team leader at the Giro and that's always great news), but his big goal for 2018 is the WC RR, he already said that he wants to win it badly.
Of course I'd love to see the old Nibali who was animating one day races durning the spring once again, but that's not realistic.
User avatar Mayomaniac

09 Sep 2017 18:18

The problem is, Nibali wants to attack but with a team like Sky there is nowhere to go. And his own team is not strong enough to set up an ambush, basically all he has is Pellizotti

If Bahrein strengthen their team significantly for the climbs and can send up man in the attack before Nibali links up with them, he could do some old school classic ****. But He's not getting any younger and soon Sky will not be the only one with a mountain train that churns out 400w all the time
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2017 18:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Last year he outclassed by effin Kruijswijk. No comparison to this year. He's much better

I don't know... This year he's more consistent, that's sure, but better... He won Il Giro and would get Olympic medal without that crash, maybe even Gold. And Kruijswijk was a beast last year. Chaves was 2nd and 3rd in two GT's and won Lombardia, this year's Chavito has nothing to do with last year's one. And Valverde is always Valverde.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:16

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:The problem is, Nibali wants to attack but with a team like Sky there is nowhere to go. And his own team is not strong enough to set up an ambush, basically all he has is Pellizotti

If Bahrein strengthen their team significantly for the climbs and can send up man in the attack before Nibali links up with them, he could do some old school classic ****. But He's not getting any younger and soon Sky will not be the only one with a mountain train that churns out 400w all the time

Yeah. I hope Bahrain will have Pozzo as Giro lead, then Pozzo and Ion as Doms for Nibs in the Tour. Ion leading Vuelta. They should sign one more high class mountain dom for next year and maybe Pellizzotti has one more year in his legs, he rather impressed me in this Vuelta. That would be at least somewhat credible team to hunt Froome, BigTom and Nairo.

Edit: + of course less than 50km of TT and cobbles :D
bambino

09 Sep 2017 19:20

Bahrain was actually immaculate today. First creating the split on the descent and then setting the pace on Cordal. Maybe Nibali and Delfino were trying to attack together with Pantano and Contador before Nibbles crashed. But even then, the DS was very smart having Delfino set a stable pace for a long time on Angliru, thus protecting Nibali from attacks. Nobody called their bluff until 2 km to go and then it was too late to really hurt him.

As for next year, I think they should sign Ciccone. He could be their top rider once Nibali calls it quit.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:42

SafeBet wrote:Bahrain was actually immaculate today. First creating the split on the descent and then setting the pace on Cordal. Maybe Nibali and Delfino were trying to attack together with Pantano and Contador before Nibbles crashed. But even then, the DS was very smart having Delfino set a stable pace for a long time on Angliru, thus protecting Nibali from attacks. Nobody called their bluff until 2 km to go and then it was too late to really hurt him.

As for next year, I think they should sign Ciccone. He could be their top rider once Nibali calls it quit.

Has Nieve signed with anyone yet? He would fit to the envelope, also in terms of age :D
bambino

09 Sep 2017 19:42

It’s a shame for the sliding in the curve – says Vincenzo Nibali – it was raining and the road was dirty and slippery. Until then we did a great race but then I had to defend myself on last climb. I’m glad I was able to defend my second place”.
“My teammates have done a wonderful job – adds the Italian champion – but I must thank Franco Pellizotti in particular. Without him and with the strong pain on my left side I do not know if I would arrive with the best at the finish line at the top of Angliru. ”
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:46

bambino wrote:
Has Nieve signed with anyone yet? He would fit to the envelope, also in terms of age :D

Signed with Orica.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:52

SafeBet wrote:
bambino wrote:

Signed with Orica.

Oh indeed. Forgot it.
bambino

Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:58

Climbing wrote:The program should be Liegi, Tour, Worlds.
Yes we just lost Contador, hopefully he does have some more years!

If I was Slongo I would design a program similar to Dumoulin's - first peak in the Ardennes/Giro and then second for the Canadian races/Worlds/Autumn classics with fewer racing days overall but racing at a higher level.
killswitch

09 Sep 2017 20:50

He did really really well to keep his 2nd place in the end after the crash, credit where it's due
User avatar PremierAndrew

09 Sep 2017 20:51

It's interesting that, after finding out all the details, the story of Vincenzo's 2017 Angliru stage changed. It has to be said though that either way it was impossible today to gain significant time on Froome. We thought he didn't have the legs but in the end he was heroically defending his runner-up spot, with the fantastic help of Delfino after the crash that could have ended worse than just loosing the podium.

User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 00:20

Honestly didn't think he had crashed, now I retract my previous statement. He can definitely win more GTs. Hopefully the Tour will give ample opportunity next year. Please, we need someone to rattle Sky.
User avatar jsem94

Re:

10 Sep 2017 02:47

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:The problem is, Nibali wants to attack but with a team like Sky there is nowhere to go. And his own team is not strong enough to set up an ambush, basically all he has is Pellizotti

Watch out, Sunweb is getting closer!
DanielSong39

Re:

10 Sep 2017 03:08

Red Rick wrote:That picture makes me sad.

I think the Tour is the race for him. I think the Tour could be an interesting race next year and I hope the route is better than this year. With Dumoulin, Quintana, Nibali missing the Giro, Aru in better shape and other riders remaining upright. The Tour is harder for Froome now. On a more traditional Tour course I think Froome may have struggled more this year in the mountains. The TT has always been his get out of jail card and he relies on it even more now. The cards favored him in the Tour this year and he will be favorite next year but I don't think he's a certainty for a fifth win. Seems like he will be losing a few good domestiques as well.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 09:50

Think with Nibali it will depend on the routes for the three GT's - As it turned out, the GC field at the 2017 TDF was probably weaker than both the Vuelta and the Giro - I suspect the 2018 TDF will have the strongest three field of the three GC's, so it then becomes a decision for Bahrain Merida to determine where Nibali will obtain his best result - I am unsure it will be the TDF.
yaco

Re:

10 Sep 2017 10:08

yaco wrote:Think with Nibali it will depend on the routes for the three GT's - As it turned out, the GC field at the 2017 TDF was probably weaker than both the Vuelta and the Giro - I suspect the 2018 TDF will have the strongest three field of the three GC's, so it then becomes a decision for Bahrain Merida to determine where Nibali will obtain his best result - I am unsure it will be the TDF.

It will most likely be TdF since a season with Liege, Tour and Worlds absolutely makes the most sense for him this season. Cant do that with a Giro - Vuelta double
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

10 Sep 2017 13:55

I don't want nibali to race le tour. He is too good for that crappy race. We already have the movistar train to destroy sky. We just need a good quintana. Landa, valverde, quintana, betancur, bennatti, soler, sutherland and fernandez
portugal11

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing