Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Sep 2017 19:49

Strangely enough, this has been his best year since 2014. But eventually he won Lombardy 2015 and the Giro in 2016. This year, no big race.

Maybe it really would've been better if he had focused on becoming a classics contender after his great 2015 fall.

This placements doesn't change much for a rider of his caliber in the end. But one victory in a cobbled classics and if it had been only Omloop would've made him the most complete rider since long time ago, obviously!
User avatar staubsauger

10 Sep 2017 20:35

Yeah too bad, an excellent year, but no big win.
Both 2015 and 2016 were going quite badly, but then BANG he got two huge wins!
Well, it's cycling, sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not.
User avatar Climbing

10 Sep 2017 20:38

There is still Lombardia...
Riposa in pace Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

10 Sep 2017 20:40

I guess having to show his best with the new team gave him extra motivation as well.
User avatar Climbing

Re:

10 Sep 2017 21:08

staubsauger wrote:Strangely enough, this has been his best year since 2014. But eventually he won Lombardy 2015 and the Giro in 2016. This year, no big race.

Maybe it really would've been better if he had focused on becoming a classics contender after his great 2015 fall.

This placements doesn't change much for a rider of his caliber in the end. But one victory in a cobbled classics and if it had been only Omloop would've made him the most complete rider since long time ago, obviously!

First and foremost he is a GT rider, you can't flip a switch and compete with Sagan, GVA and Quickstep. Last year he did focus on a very big one day race, Olympic RR and he was very close to win it but that's cycling. Next year he'll focus on the worlds and hopefully will be fit enough to contest LBL. Bahrain is very much his project, he did two GTs in a much more serene environment and in the process helped also the team with his two podiums and two stage wins. There's not very much you can do against Froome and lately if the route suits him, Dumoulin, but if you don't try you'll never know if you can beat them.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

10 Sep 2017 21:14

portugal11 wrote:I don't want nibali to race le tour. He is too good for that crappy race. We already have the movistar train to destroy sky. We just need a good quintana. Landa, valverde, quintana, betancur, bennatti, soler, sutherland and fernandez

he's not good enough for Vuelta and the giro this year and I doubt he will win another grand tour, don't blame the race for Nibali being poor and past it
rick james

10 Sep 2017 21:26

His little girl is so cute! She really stole the show on the podium :)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

10 Sep 2017 21:39

To be honest I don't think he will ever win a gt again. Winning the tour next year will be incredibly difficult and even if he returns to the giro one year later I fear he'll be too old by then. I therefore really really hope he'll improve his classics palmares. If he wins another monument and the wc that would make him something extremely unique for todays era. I especially hope he'll ride paris roubaix one day because I think if he specifically trains for that race and has luck with rain he has a decent shot at winning there.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

10 Sep 2017 21:46

staubsauger wrote:Strangely enough, this has been his best year since 2014. But eventually he won Lombardy 2015 and the Giro in 2016. This year, no big race.

Why would he want to win a cobbled classic?
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

Re: Re:

11 Sep 2017 03:34

rick james wrote:
portugal11 wrote:I don't want nibali to race le tour. He is too good for that crappy race. We already have the movistar train to destroy sky. We just need a good quintana. Landa, valverde, quintana, betancur, bennatti, soler, sutherland and fernandez

he's not good enough for Vuelta and the giro this year and I doubt he will win another grand tour, don't blame the race for Nibali being poor and past it

Strangely this post kind of says that no-one else is good enough for Vuelta than Froome. Maybe he should compete alone then. Would probably suit us all well having him in separate competition.

In the serious note, I think RJ could be banned more often, at least the quality hasn't increased.
bambino

11 Sep 2017 06:12

I would like to see him winning Liege Bastogne Liege next year! But first a great Lombardije!
User avatar Oliver

11 Sep 2017 08:17

Hope he will focus on the hilly classics and WC RR next year, combined with the GT which suits the schedule best.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

11 Sep 2017 08:36

He could do the Ardennes + Giro. Rest and then Vuelta to prepare WC + Lombardia
Mozart92

11 Sep 2017 08:52

He's gonna race the Tour next year.
Last edited by huge on 11 Sep 2017 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
huge

Re:

11 Sep 2017 08:53

Mozart92 wrote:He could do the Ardennes + Giro. Rest and then Vuelta to prepare WC + Lombardia

Since Di Luca the LBL/Giro combination has not worked out great.
User avatar Bardamu

11 Sep 2017 09:25

In today interview with Gazzetta pretty much confirmed that he will do the Vuelta to prepare for WC.
That points out towards LBL, Tour, Vuelta (undercooked?) and WC (+maybe GdL).

But isn’t this 3 peaks for a season? Can it possibly work out? Not an expert.
Probably not serious about LBL in 2018.
User avatar Climbing

12 Sep 2017 10:59

So any news about the ribs scan? If he s ok he has a good chance to win lombardia
Lo squalo di messina

12 Sep 2017 12:58

Lo squalo di messina wrote:So any news about the ribs scan? If he s ok he has a good chance to win lombardia

Two "cracked ribs" as per google translate. No Worlds then for Italy. One week rest then preparation for Lombardia with Coppa Sabatini, Tre Valli Varesine and maybe Giro dell’Emilia. To be noted that he didn't force when he fell on the descent, it was bad luck, unavoidable on the slippery tarmac.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 13:08

Very respectable performance on the Angliru then
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

12 Sep 2017 13:41

Rollthedice wrote:
Lo squalo di messina wrote:So any news about the ribs scan? If he s ok he has a good chance to win lombardia

Two "cracked ribs" as per google translate. No Worlds then for Italy. One week rest then preparation for Lombardia with Coppa Sabatini, Tre Valli Varesine and maybe Giro dell’Emilia. To be noted that he didn't force when he fell on the descent, it was bad luck, unavoidable on the slippery tarmac.

Thx and good to see he is still motivated for the rest of the season. I assumed he took too many risks on the descent of the cordal but apparently not. Thank god for pelle tho and give the man a raise pls he more then earned it.
I think that if nibs can keep his motivation going he stil got another 2 good years left in him.
Lo squalo di messina

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing