Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

12 Sep 2017 13:43

Rollthedice wrote:
Lo squalo di messina wrote:So any news about the ribs scan? If he s ok he has a good chance to win lombardia

Two "cracked ribs" as per google translate. No Worlds then for Italy. One week rest then preparation for Lombardia with Coppa Sabatini, Tre Valli Varesine and maybe Giro dell’Emilia. To be noted that he didn't force when he fell on the descent, it was bad luck, unavoidable on the slippery tarmac.

:(. Gutsy ride on the Angliru and good job of maintaining his 2nd place.

Hopefully he'll be in decent shape for Lombardia!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2017 20:11

Frankschleck wrote:nah don't agree, i take back that antonio is better than juraj, but none of them are world tour level at all.

changed my mind again tho :lol: Antonio is better heheheheh, Good vuelta
Frankschleck

22 Sep 2017 20:30

http://m.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=105252
Nibs acquited from defamation charges by di luca. Di luca gonna have to pay up :lol:
Lo squalo di messina

26 Sep 2017 21:37

He seems to have recovered from his injuries and did by far the most work in the break. I am really hopeful for Il Lombardia...the form is good and he knows the route.
Would be huge for him to get a second monument win. 2017 shouldn`t be the first year since 2012 were he fails to win either a Grand Tour or Monument.
skippo12

30 Sep 2017 15:04

Nibali recovered well from his cracked ribs
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

30 Sep 2017 15:06

Nibali is looking really good and is now probably the main favorite for Il Lombardia. Moreover after todays performance on a short climb I think he could probably even win if he waits for San Fermo della Battaglia.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

30 Sep 2017 15:19

Gigs_98 wrote:Nibali is looking really good and is now probably the main favorite for Il Lombardia. Moreover after todays performance on a short climb I think he could probably even win if he waits for San Fermo della Battaglia.

He is looking in monster shape and the opponents are pretty much the top 10 and some others from today, so absolutely the main favorite (already was to be honest).
You never know what happens in one day races, but I hope for another monument!
User avatar Climbing

30 Sep 2017 15:42

Climbing wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Nibali is looking really good and is now probably the main favorite for Il Lombardia. Moreover after todays performance on a short climb I think he could probably even win if he waits for San Fermo della Battaglia.

He is looking in monster shape and the opponents are pretty much the top 10 and some others from today, so absolutely the main favorite (already was to be honest).

In this shape nobody who was here today has a shot. I can only see Barguil and Dumoulin being trouble.

Oh, and the Landa.
User avatar Red Rick

30 Sep 2017 15:55

Red Rick wrote:
Climbing wrote:

In this shape nobody who was here today has a shot. I can only see Barguil and Dumoulin being trouble.

Oh, and the Landa.

Sky in general. They have Rosa, Landa, Kwiatkowski and Moscon. If they play it smart they can make the race completely uncontrollable which makes it hard for the favorite to win.

Edit: Does anyone know if he plans to ride Milano Torino or tre valli varesine as well?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

30 Sep 2017 16:03

Tre Valli
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

30 Sep 2017 16:41

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Climbing wrote:

Oh, and the Landa.

Sky in general. They have Rosa, Landa, Kwiatkowski and Moscon. If they play it smart they can make the race completely uncontrollable which makes it hard for the favorite to win.

Edit: Does anyone know if he plans to ride Milano Torino or tre valli varesine as well?

Kwiat was nowhere at the Worlds.
User avatar Red Rick

30 Sep 2017 19:18

Dan Martin.
barmaher

Re:

30 Sep 2017 19:50

barmaher wrote:Dan Martin.

It will be a packed Lombardia. Alaphillippe is also dangerous and Sunweb will bring a very strong team but what's important is that Vincenzo is in top shape, his team looks ready and he definitely has a good chance to win his second monument.

By the way, as per jens_attacks twitter, he climbed the last ascent to San Luca 10 seconds faster than Chaves last year at an estimated 7.5 W/kg for 5'42" without forcing with the exception of the final jump to second.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

30 Sep 2017 20:13

Dan Martin, Tom Dumoulin , Kwaito, Allaphillipe ....and dont forget Uran ....

Nibali looks very strong though and has a strong team.....so its his to lose
HelloDolly

30 Sep 2017 20:51

Nibali will be the favorite for the upcoming GDL, but other teams, notably Sky can also get a rider up the road, rest while others do the job like Bahrain Merida did today. Loaded field, all the favorites listed above plus one ;) .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

01 Oct 2017 03:40

Kwiat was nowhere at the Worlds.

11th in a bunch sprint behind a lot of guys who can sprint pretty well. Dan Martin finished dead last in the lead group, and is still recovering from his back injury, but nobody's shouting anyone down for suggesting him as a contender.

Kwiatkowski can win if he gets in the right break at the right time. I think the course is probably a little too tough for him, but he showed in some hard stages at the Tour that he can hang on in the climbs until pretty late in the day.
Leinster

Re:

01 Oct 2017 08:12

HelloDolly wrote:Dan Martin, Tom Dumoulin , Kwaito, Allaphillipe ....and dont forget Uran ....

Nibali looks very strong though and has a strong team.....so its his to lose

How's Martin's form? I haven't followed or seen his results. Kwiat seemed bad at the worlds. I think the course might be too hard for Ala, especially if Muro di Sormano is ridden fast. Uran is a big favorite for his trademarked 2nd place, but I wouldn't mind see him winning it.
User avatar Red Rick

01 Oct 2017 14:13

Two thoughts on Nibali:
1) this type of performance could win Worlds 2018. If Nibali peaks for it, look out.
2) I would tip Nibali for the favourite in Lombardia. This type of performance would be great on the Surmano.
Durden93

Re:

01 Oct 2017 14:37

Durden93 wrote:Two thoughts on Nibali:
1) this type of performance could win Worlds 2018. If Nibali peaks for it, look out.

My 2c: Nibali is not going to win WC2018, simply because he's too slow in a sprint. The only reason why he lost last year in Rio is exactly because he needed to force downhill with Henao and Majka. If you look at WC, when does it happen that the favourite manages to go away alone? In the past 40 years I can only think of Hinault in Sallanches and Criquielion in Barcelona. If you want you can add Gilbert in Valkenburg.
My point wants to be that if somebody who is very slow in the sprint wins the WC, usually is some outsider that is left to go (e.g. Olano in Duitama, even Simoni in Lisbon :lol: ). Even Bettini in Athens 2004 had to sprint with Paulinho to arrive, meaning that is very hard to manage to arrive solo once you are a pre-race favorite.
User avatar franic

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2017 14:45

franic wrote:
Durden93 wrote:Two thoughts on Nibali:

My 2c: Nibali is not going to win WC2018, simply because he's too slow in a sprint. The only reason why he lost last year in Rio is exactly because he needed to force downhill with Henao and Majka. If you look at WC, when does it happen that the favourite manages to go away alone? In the past 40 years I can only think of Hinault in Sallanches and Criquielion in Barcelona. If you want you can add Gilbert in Valkenburg.
My point wants to be that if somebody who is very slow in the sprint wins the WC, usually is some outsider that is left to go (e.g. Olano in Duitama, even Simoni in Lisbon :lol: ). Even Bettini in Athens 2004 had to sprint with Paulinho to arrive, meaning that is very hard to manage to arrive solo once you are a pre-race favorite.

Because when the final uphill km is 15% it's impossible to get away.
User avatar Red Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing