Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Jul 2018 17:22

The shark is drowning
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

09 Jul 2018 17:46

Everything is fine...it seems like he is really focussed and ready to do everything to win this year. He set a really hard pace when he took the lead but waiting for Haussler or Pelizotti wouldn`t have helped him during the final kms. Both were cooked. Same for Pozzo who was barely hanging on in the final.
Mur de Bretagne will be interesting...normally Nibali loses 10-30s in uphill sprints. If he is able to stay with the best on a murito finish his form is really good. Otherwise the voodoo master needs to perform some rituals to make it rain next sunday.
skippo12

Re:

09 Jul 2018 17:46

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:The shark is drowning

11 sec to Froome and 1 minute over Quintana after some 36 km TTT abomination, I'd say he swims rather relaxed. Unless you think Dumoulin or Thomas have what it takes to go all the way to Paris.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 17:49

Is that you thijs zonneveld?
Lo squalo di messina

Re:

09 Jul 2018 17:53

Shark is drowning? LOL :lol: absolutely hilarious, he is just 11 seconds down on Froome and we are yet to see how Tom Dumoulin's legs back up from the Giro in week three mountains. The Shark is also the guy who won the 2016 Giro from nowhere you can never count him out. I think you are counting your chickens way too early.
Cookster15

Re:

09 Jul 2018 17:56

It’s far too premature to say that. Nibali is strong on Murito’s as well as the cobbles. If he doesn’t gain time on at least one of those stages (most notably roubaix) then he has essentially no chance. But as of yet he still has a great shot.
Durden93

Re: Re:

09 Jul 2018 17:58

Cookster15 wrote:

The Shark is also the guy who won the 2016 Giro from nowhere you can never count him out. I think you are counting your chickens way too early.

Please do not mention Giro 2016: that's an open wound for the OP. He's still mad that Nibs "stole" it from Kruijswijk.
User avatar dfromdub

09 Jul 2018 18:09

Carols wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:The shark was not quite happy at the end speaking in the heat of the moment. They didn't went strong enough but it could've been worse as in the end only four left had to try to salvage what was left to be saved. They lost earlier than expected Haussler and Koren and then Delphino and Sonny were dropped on the hill.

Anyway, it is what it is, he looks good, next stage.

I hope he wasn't to tough on them, they are in service for a Long tour yet! He killed them off going to hard......

Lol, you cannot go slowly over that last hill. If they did, they would be in for a much bigger loss.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 18:24

Durden93 wrote:

It’s far too premature to say that. Nibali is strong on Murito’s as well as the cobbles. If he doesn’t gain time on at least one of those stages (most notably roubaix) then he has essentially no chance. But as of yet he still has a great shot.

Cobbles, yeah, no doubt. Though I’m contesting that he is strong on muritos. Because he lost quite a bit of time to Froome, Chaves and Contador on muritos last Vuelta? (Murito = short and steep, right?)
User avatar Simurgh

09 Jul 2018 18:29

Simurgh wrote:
Durden93 wrote:

Cobbles, yeah, no doubt. Though I’m contesting that he is strong on muritos. Because he lost quite a bit of time to Froome, Chaves and Contador on muritos last Vuelta? (Murito = short and steep, right?)

Definitely muritos not a speciality but when on form he can defend well. On any classics kind of stage, mur de Bretagne is no Huy, he can invent something if there are the right conditions, stage five also could be interesting in this first part. Dry cobbles, don't know how much he can gain. But in the end I think this Tour will be won in the mountains.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:05

that's why he has a dolphin on the team to help him out
;)
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 19:24

Cookster15 wrote:

Shark is drowning? LOL :lol: absolutely hilarious, he is just 11 seconds down on Froome and we are yet to see how Tom Dumoulin's legs back up from the Giro in week three mountains. The Shark is also the guy who won the 2016 Giro from nowhere you can never count him out. I think you are counting your chickens way too early.

He won the Giro because Kruijswijk fell, yeah. Not really because of a monstrous comeback (chaves was only 1 min in front). Not as good as Froome's comeback obviously :razz:

Fun to see such passionate fans here. I'm just saying, he didn't look happy today
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 19:31

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:

He won the Giro because Kruijswijk fell, yeah. Not really because of a monstrous comeback (chaves was only 1 min in front). Not as good as Froome's comeback obviously :razz:

Fun to see such passionate fans here. I'm just saying, he didn't look happy today

Yeah, Haussler was hurt after crashing hard yesterday and Sonny wasn't at his best after fighting for the win yesterday, at least for me his recovery is a bit of a question mark, so the team lost more time than they should have otherwise, but in the end they still managed to somehow limit their losses. Still, only 11 seconds behind Froome after the TTT is a big plus and a few teams will probably try to do something on the Roubaix cobbles.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 19:35

And the ones most in front are most likely to fall away. I mean I just can't see Thomas staying faultless for 3 weeks.
Van Garderen.. well no.
Dumoulin will have heavy legs in week 3 as well.

So most of his opponents are pretty close or behind him
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:39

I'm not a fan of either of them. But to be honest if sb drowns that would be Dumo.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

09 Jul 2018 19:39

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:

To be more precise, 1:43 to Chaves, 1:20 to Valverde and Jungels was closer to him than he was to Krashweak but it's all done and dusted. Sure he wasn't happy today but he still swims.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 19:41

The shark is swimming alright, in one of these infinite pools - and instead of a mirror, there is a picture of the Thomas Geraint riding ahead :lol:
hazaran

09 Jul 2018 19:42

TourOfSardinia wrote:

that's why he has a dolphin on the team to help him out
;)

That was a bit fishy.

I'll show myself out. And I know neither sharks nor dolphins are actually fish!
The fish is on another team.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 19:43

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:And the ones most in front are most likely to fall away. I mean I just can't see Thomas staying faultless for 3 weeks.
Van Garderen.. well no.
Dumoulin will have heavy legs in week 3 as well.

So most of his opponents are pretty close or behind him

Dumoulin might surprise a few, me thinks.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

09 Jul 2018 20:04

Cobbles are a big chance to gain time on the pure climbers (Quintana, Landa, Porte, Zakarin, Bardet...). His biggest adantage this year are the downhill finishes. I think he will gain more time on these stages than he potentially loses on mountain finishes. Among the biggest contenders only Bardet, Fuglsang and Dumoulin (maybe Valverde, Froome) are on a similar level downhill. I expect Porte and Zakarin to lose minutes on those stages.
skippo12

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing