Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

12 Jul 2018 16:41

Valv.Piti wrote:Bardet and Dumoulin, IMO, are non-contenders anyways. Bardet will never be good enough to drops the best and sucks at other areas while Dumoulin won't do well in the mountains.

Nibali is coming.

I'm not really gonna count out Dumoulin before the mountains before he's done any doubles.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 16:45

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Bardet and Dumoulin, IMO, are non-contenders anyways. Bardet will never be good enough to drops the best and sucks at other areas while Dumoulin won't do well in the mountains.

Nibali is coming.

I'm not really gonna count out Dumoulin before the mountains before he's done any doubles.

Of course not, but he aint winning. These mountains are tough, its not your regular Tour Alps and Im pretty sure he won't stand a chance- Lets see.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

12 Jul 2018 17:04

Nibali still looking good but his team isn´t. I expected Pelizotti to be a no show for the first two weeks and really hope that he will peak in the 3rd week but I expected more from the rest of the team.
Watching the final kms of each stage I always search for Nibali and see him fighting for position with either Gorka or Ion at his side. Today Gorka did a good job but Nibali still had to work hard to get on Van Avermaets back wheel.
Compared to the trains of other teams that`s simply not enough and I fear that this could be a problem on Sunday.
Last edited by skippo12 on 12 Jul 2018 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
skippo12

12 Jul 2018 17:14

skippo12 wrote:Nibali still looking good but his team isn´t. I expected Pelizotti to be a no show for the first to weeks and really hope that he will peak in the 3rd week but I expected more from the rest of the team.
Watching the final kms of each stage I always search for Nibali and see him fighting for position with either Gorka or Ion at his side. Today Gorka did a good job but Nibali still had to work hard to get on Van Avermaets back wheel.
Compared to the trains of other teams that`s simply not enough and I fear that this could be a problem on Sunday.

Agreed. We shouldn't forget that Nibali was only able to do what he did on the cobbles in 2014 because he had Westra and Fuglsang who could drag the group away from the other contenders after the split was made. I think that if Nibali wants to gain big chunks of time he has to profit from other teams. For example Thomas is very likely to be one of the best riders on the cobbles as well (problematically he might have to wait for Froome or at least won't be allowed to pull) Valverde might be good but has similar issues to Thomas. I think Dumoulin might do well on the cobbles but ofc there aren't any precedents for that, so it's just guessing.
The perfect scenario for Nibali would probably be if there is a small front group which contains him and a few riders of a different team. For example if Thomas, Moscon, Rowe and Froome are in the same group as Nibali he might not gain time on those guys but he could gain a lot on everyone who is behind.

Anyway I think I should stop speculating now as racing on the cobbles never turns out as expected. :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

12 Jul 2018 17:25

Brullnux wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Voodoo still working extremely well with Bardet and Dumoulin flatting. That is some next level ****

You forgot about Q, Froome, Yates, Porte..
Only guy left is Thomas. He should be careful. :D

Yeah I know that's why i said it, didn't forget them, this was just an addition.

Thomas is screwed. I'm predicting nasty fall on the cobbles

Thomas is able to do that by himself without any voodoo help

Or without any cobbles.
rghysens

12 Jul 2018 17:31

Good showing today by him. I'm also a bit concerned for his team on Sunday. Hopefully he hangs on with Terpstra, Sagan & co. cause otherwise it will be difficult to gain time. Positioning will be crucial on Sunday, let's hope Koren, Haussler & co. will step up.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

12 Jul 2018 17:41

Gigs_98 wrote:
skippo12 wrote:Nibali still looking good but his team isn´t. I expected Pelizotti to be a no show for the first to weeks and really hope that he will peak in the 3rd week but I expected more from the rest of the team.

Agreed. We shouldn't forget that Nibali was only able to do what he did on the cobbles in 2014 because he had Westra and Fuglsang who could drag the group away from the other contenders after the split was made. I think that if Nibali wants to gain big chunks of time he has to profit from other teams. For example Thomas is very likely to be one of the best riders on the cobbles as well (problematically he might have to wait for Froome or at least won't be allowed to pull) Valverde might be good but has similar issues to Thomas. I think Dumoulin might do well on the cobbles but ofc there aren't any precedents for that, so it's just guessing.
The perfect scenario for Nibali would probably be if there is a small front group which contains him and a few riders of a different team. For example if Thomas, Moscon, Rowe and Froome are in the same group as Nibali he might not gain time on those guys but he could gain a lot on everyone who is behind.

Anyway I think I should stop speculating now as racing on the cobbles never turns out as expected. :D

Sonny and Gorka will rest the next 2 days and Haussler hasn't really done anything hard (except crash) so far in this race. Those will be key guys in cobbles.

But I agree he should take advantage of others as well. I'm sure Astana will try to get time for Fuglsang with Valgren et co. Potentially also QS for Jungels. Vince should follow those wheels, potentially with his good friend Sagan :D
bambino

12 Jul 2018 17:51

This isn't about whether Nibali can hang on to Sagan or Terpstra

This is about whether the likes of Sagan and Terpstra can hang on to Nibali.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Jul 2018 17:58

rghysens wrote:
Brullnux wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Voodoo still working extremely well with Bardet and Dumoulin flatting. That is some next level ****

You forgot about Q, Froome, Yates, Porte..
Only guy left is Thomas. He should be careful. :D

Yeah I know that's why i said it, didn't forget them, this was just an addition.

Thomas is screwed. I'm predicting nasty fall on the cobbles

Thomas is able to do that by himself without any voodoo help

Or without any cobbles.

LMAO! I really shouldn't be laughing, but still. :D
User avatar JosephK

12 Jul 2018 19:17

Today he said that he isn't the same person as in 2015, back then his form was bad and he was always nervous.
Nibali is looking good right now, the cobbles are still to come and when it comes to the mountain stages only Mende is bad for him/more of an unipublic stage, the other mountain stages suit him rather well.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

12 Jul 2018 19:21

Gigs_98 wrote:

Since Movistar has said no strategy until after stage 9 and they want all 3 of their leaders in the best possibly shape coming out of the cobbles it's very likely Valverde doesn't have to wait for Quintana and/or Landa and can race it how he wants. They said at one point that all 3 would be assigned one rider for that stage.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

13 Jul 2018 06:42

Mayomaniac wrote:Today he said that he isn't the same person as in 2015, back then his form was bad and he was always nervous.
Nibali is looking good right now, the cobbles are still to come and when it comes to the mountain stages only Mende is bad for him/more of an unipublic stage, the other mountain stages suit him rather well.

I'm a bit skeptical about the very short stages. Nibali is at his best in long, hard races because he's got great stamina. I'm curious to see if he'll suffer in the most explosive mountain stages.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

13 Jul 2018 09:04

I just deleted a number of off topic and unnecessary. Please discuss Nibali in this thread, keep Froome in the Froome thread, and keep the personal jibes out of it. I won't ask again.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

13 Jul 2018 09:20

Jasper de buyst tips nibali to win to the tour this year. Might not mean much but its always a good sign when riders in the peloton say stuff like that ss they see way more then we do.
Nibs should talk with sagan for the roubaix stage
Lo squalo di messina

13 Jul 2018 12:57

I am not as optimistic, I think ending the Tour in top 3 would be a great result and then hopefully he can go for the worlds. Like many users pointed out Nibs team is rubbish compared to other GC contenders. You can win the Giro with a bad team but to win the Tour you need a good team especially when Sky is in it.
I am all for Nibs but I see him being on in his own too many times in future stages and that in the end will be too much.
User avatar dfromdub

13 Jul 2018 14:06

On a side note, the legend Antonio Nibali has just won his first professional race :D
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

13 Jul 2018 17:34

SafeBet wrote:On a side note, the legend Antonio Nibali has just won his first professional race :D

Finally :D i honestly thought it would never happen :p
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

13 Jul 2018 18:09

Laplaz wrote:
SafeBet wrote:On a side note, the legend Antonio Nibali has just won his first professional race :D

Finally :D i honestly thought it would never happen :p

I have to say though, Antonio could still become a very decent rider. Ofc nowhere near as good as his brother but he hit his peak relatively late too so I can still imagine Antonio improving for one or two more years. And although the field surely isn't great, the Österreichrundfahrt isn't the smallest race out there either.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

13 Jul 2018 18:55

I don't think the team is that bad. Pozzo was in the second group up at the Mur de Bretagne so looks good, and Ion and Gorka are both very good.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

13 Jul 2018 19:23

Brullnux wrote:I don't think the team is that bad. Pozzo was in the second group up at the Mur de Bretagne so looks good, and Ion and Gorka are both very good.

3 riders vs Sky, Movistar and BMC. I still don´t get what Koren is doing in France this july while Mohoric and Visconti dominate in Austria. Haussler is struggling since his crash and Colbrelli is doing his own thing. I really hope that Pelizotti is peaking in the 3rd week again.
The climbing support is good and honestly I think only Movistar will be stronger in the mountains but on flat and hilly stages it´s really lacking. Nibali is great when it comes to positioning. While other riders like Porte, Quintana or Landa would be lost without a train he somehow is able to do it by himself but a little bit more protection on the final kms wouldn`t hurt.
skippo12

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing