Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2018 18:36

Red Rick wrote:
Carols wrote:
cellardoor wrote:
Oliver wrote:Not good as expected. What a disaster this season. I was excited he rode Liege, Tour and a World Championship which sould suit him.
Big disappointed. And that because of a stupid crash. Let him end his season because Lombardije would be a dissapointment too with this shape.
And I really hope he comes back next season.

I don't think you can call it a disaster when he won Milan-San Remo, which was a career crowning moment.

This. 98% of the peloton would be happy with a MSR win on the year! Of course Lo Squalo had much higher ambitions, but still hard to call it a disaster.

I like to think we can call it a disaster without it having the implication that it was Nibali's fault.

I hope he'll ride the fall classics and shows a glimmer of hope.

Hardly a disaster on Nibali's part, just an idiot on Huez who broke more than a vertebra, he broke a dream. On a more happy note it's been six years in a row since he either wins a monument or a Grand Tour per season.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

01 Oct 2018 18:43

Obviously, but if you win a monument in March, and your main targets are the Tour and the WC, and by the end of the year you have only 2 extra stage top 10s, one of which in the stage where you broke your back, it's been a long series of disappointments I can't blame him for.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

03 Oct 2018 11:06

He just posted a story on Instagram where he is doing a recon of Muro di Sormano. So he will definetly ride Il Lombardia.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

03 Oct 2018 11:16

Laplaz wrote:He just posted a story on Instagram where he is doing a recon of Muro di Sormano. So he will definetly ride Il Lombardia.

I kinda expect him to attack on the sormano descent this year. With the easier finish that's more likely to be successful than in previous years and he doesn't stand a chance if he waits for civiglio anyway
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

03 Oct 2018 11:27

Gigs_98 wrote:
Laplaz wrote:He just posted a story on Instagram where he is doing a recon of Muro di Sormano. So he will definetly ride Il Lombardia.

I kinda expect him to attack on the sormano descent this year. With the easier finish that's more likely to be successful than in previous years and he doesn't stand a chance if he waits for civiglio anyway

I expect Ghisallo/Sormano to be just ridden harder this year.

Really, if Nibali had 2017 form, rode the same way on Civiglio ascent/descent he'd win again.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

03 Oct 2018 12:07

I didn't read the paper, only the web version of Gazzetta.
Apparently he will race till at least 2021 (possibly renewing with TBM for 2020-2021, but not necessarily).
Next year Giro for sure (it was already pretty obvious).
He's thinking about the double go at Olimpics + Worlds for 2020, not clear how to approach it (maybe Spring Classics + Tour + Tokyo, Vuelta-no gc + Worlds + Autumn Classics).
User avatar Climbing

03 Oct 2018 12:15

Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:

Really, if Nibali had 2017 form, rode the same way on Civiglio ascent/descent he'd win again.

That's not exactly big news though, is it? He was absolutely dominant last year.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

03 Oct 2018 12:22

Climbing wrote:I didn't read the paper, only the web version of Gazzetta.
Apparently he will race till at least 2021 (possibly renewing with TBM for 2020-2021, but not necessarily).
Next year Giro for sure (it was already pretty obvious).
He's thinking about the double go at Olimpics + Worlds for 2020, not clear how to approach it (maybe Spring Classics + Tour + Tokyo, Vuelta-no gc + Worlds + Autumn Classics).

I think Olympics/Worlds double needs to be Tour and no Vuelta, but I'm not sure.

Maybe even both Tour and Vuelta not for GC.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

03 Oct 2018 12:23

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:

That's not exactly big news though, is it? He was absolutely dominant last year.

That's true.

But I think it's quite possible to hold a gap after the descent cause I would expect that most riders won't want to bring Valverde or Alaphilippe to the line. Valverde obviously has much more chance of being in the first group of the Civiglio.

But really, Nibali was like 60th at the Worlds, I think BM will ride for Pozzovivo and I would consider it a win if Nibali even makes it over the Sormano.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

03 Oct 2018 12:52

Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:

That's true.

But I think it's quite possible to hold a gap after the descent cause I would expect that most riders won't want to bring Valverde or Alaphilippe to the line. Valverde obviously has much more chance of being in the first group of the Civiglio.

But really, Nibali was like 60th at the Worlds, I think BM will ride for Pozzovivo and I would consider it a win if Nibali even makes it over the Sormano.

He will ride two races before, Emilia and Tre Valli, let's see how it goes.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

03 Oct 2018 17:45

TBM for Emilia: Nibali, fratello Antonio, Pozzo, Delfino, Visconti, Motoric, Boaro.

“With such a demanding final, every tactic would be useless, if you haven’t legs and you aren’t in good form. We have guys like Visconti, Mohorič and Pozzovivo that will assist our team leader Vincenzo Nibali and will work to create the conditions to facilitate his performance in the finale”.

In fact, the key moment of the race will be the final circuit: 4 laps of 9.3km including the climb up to San Luca (2.1 km with average slopes nearly 10% with maximum of 18%, that riders will face five times). “It’s a climb perfect for attackers, just remember last year’s triumph of Visconti, thanks to a smart team tactics” Volpi adds “Our task will be to make the most of everyone’s skills, to be protagonists in the final part of the race with the aim to support our captain and create the perfect scenario to help him to try to take the win”.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

04 Oct 2018 07:13

User avatar Climbing

04 Oct 2018 07:51

"With such a demanding final, every tactic would be useless."
"It’s a climb perfect for attackers, just remember last year’s triumph of Visconti, thanks to a smart team tactics”
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

04 Oct 2018 07:58

Valv.Piti wrote:"With such a demanding final, every tactic would be useless."
"It’s a climb perfect for attackers, just remember last year’s triumph of Visconti, thanks to a smart team tactics”

“With such a demanding final, every tactic would be useless, if you haven’t legs and you aren’t in good form."

Easy to take out of context something, ain't it?
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

04 Oct 2018 16:43

Is it true he just got a new contract for 2 more years with bahrain? Then he will retire in 2021. I havent seen this anywhere else though.
Flemish journals usually got some good info about the pro peloton and maybe verbrugghe could have told them about it.

https://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/koers-kort-landis-start-wielerploeg-met-geld-armstrong-aerts-laat-berencross-links-liggen-nibali-gaat-door-tot-2021~a95e3649/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=Sport&utm_source=dlvr.it

Edit. They saw he will continue till 2021 and assume he will stay with bahrain i think. Otherwise the italian press would have said something. Nothing on social media either.
Lo squalo di messina

05 Oct 2018 05:47

Probably they've reported Gazzetta suppositions about the fact that he'll ride two more years (well 2020 is certain since Tokyo is his next big goal), anyway there is no doubt that he'll stay at Bahrain.
Nirvana

05 Oct 2018 07:46

User avatar Climbing

Re:

06 Oct 2018 07:46

Translation of Cataldo's post on instagram:

The Shark always wants to show that he does more than the others, so he went and took the KOM of the last bit of road up to the Colma signpost.
:lol:

(in the pic, right to left: Aru, Davide Orrico, Gasparotto, Pozzo and Cataldo. Nibali on top under the signpost)

I think this pic sums up why cycling is beautiful and how these guys really love what they are doing.
Cycling is much more than teams, sponsors, money... a bunch of guys, different teams, riding their bikes as if on a normal Sat club ride with friends.
huge

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

06 Oct 2018 07:57

Lo squalo di messina wrote:Is it true he just got a new contract for 2 more years with bahrain? Then he will retire in 2021. I havent seen this anywhere else though.
Flemish journals usually got some good info about the pro peloton and maybe verbrugghe could have told them about it.

https://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/koers-kort-landis-start-wielerploeg-met-geld-armstrong-aerts-laat-berencross-links-liggen-nibali-gaat-door-tot-2021~a95e3649/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=Sport&utm_source=dlvr.it

Edit. They saw he will continue till 2021 and assume he will stay with bahrain i think. Otherwise the italian press would have said something. Nothing on social media either.

No surprise at all.
Actually I don't see how things could be any different.

BM has been created around Nibali and with him playing a vital role in its set up.
He basically is the one saying which riders are joining and who should go.
He will finish his career with the team and it wouldn't surprise me if his retirement as a rider would be followed by a managerial position within the team.
huge

06 Oct 2018 11:53

Interview before Emilia, tuttobici, some things:

Yes I'm fine. But I would say a lie if I said I was like last year. A year ago I had a stratospheric condition.

What is left after the worlds?

"The bitterness of not being able to do what I wanted. If you are one hundred percent, maybe you do 270 kilometers instead of 265, if you are not one hundred percent you do 245 then you turn off. I went out."

Did you regret having the surgery, having hastened the time to be in the worlds?

"No, it was a choice that I did first of all not to lose the worlds, and then for not having other complications. If I had stopped there, I would have a difficult winter ahead of me. Instead I am tranquillo, more relaxed. "

Have you already thought about 2019?

"No, I can not say if I ride the Giro, I want to see the whole route first. I only know that I will not start from Argentina. "

The two victories in Lombardy were two masterpieces, then the Sanremo arrived. What is now the most beautiful race in your mind?

"Lombardy, again. The Sanremo is different: 300 kilometers for fifteen minutes of pure adrenaline, things are like that, without thinking too much ».

The season is not over yet: you can still win two Monuments in a year.

"It makes no sense to think about what could have been, if it did not happen what happened could be a much happier season. Even with Valverde last year something very serious happened, then he came back very strong. You must take what destiny gives you ».

After what happened to you on Alpe d'Huez, do you ever get scared when you ride?

"Yes, there is always fear, like when you fall. Then you get up. Fear passes ".

Let's pretend that the season is over now, that there are no three races left: what is your evaluation?

"It's hard, it could have taken a different turn, I could get a lot more. As a preparation for the appointments I did little wrong, apart from the Liege where I had intestinal problems all day. I was fine on the Tour, then it went like this ... If we do as in school, I give myself a vote for the sacrifice, for stubbornness, for not giving up everything: seven for good will ".
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing