Log in:  

Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

18 Dec 2018 06:40

Koronin wrote:
WheelofGear wrote:
Koronin wrote:
WheelofGear wrote:If he is facing Simon Yates, Bernal and Dumoulin, he needs to take some risks if he want to win it.

Those guys are likely to outpace him on a MTF. He could have an ally in more aggressive riders like Landa and Bardet.



Bernal can't time trial and there are 3 time trials at this Giro.

Bardet is not likely going to the Giro. Movistar hasn't made any official announcement yet, although it appears Landa/Valverde to the Giro. However it's still possible it may just be Valverde going tot he Giro.


That's not true. He won a mountain time trial and is also great in the hilly ones. In the flat ones, he is still top 30 and have plenty of time to improve. With the help of Sky, I think he will be closer to Contador than Quintana in that discipline.

I'll expect him top 10 in ones in San Luca and San Marino. The only problem is the one in Verona.


He lost a ton of time in California to Tejay last year. Dumoulin is a better time trialist than Tejay and a better climber. Dumoulin is better in hilly time trials than flat ones. Nibali is also better in those type of time trials as well as mountain time trials (as long as he doesn't have mechanical issues like 2016 Giro).


Bernal is overall propably already the best TT'er of Colombian GC prospects. I can see that he has very good chance of beating or be at the par with i.e. Nib's and Yates in Giro's 3 TT's. Will lose to Dumoulin for sure, but not as much as someone thinks.
bambino
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 24 May 2013 10:37

Re:

18 Dec 2018 18:43

WheelofGear wrote:If he is facing Simon Yates, Bernal and Dumoulin, he needs to take some risks if he want to win it.

Those guys are likely to outpace him on a MTF. He could have an ally in more aggressive riders like Landa and Bardet.


If Nibbles is in top shape, he can earn all the time he needs on Dumoulin in stages 15 and 16. As strong as Dumoulin may be, Lo Squalo at his best is a better climber than him. IMO, neither Bernal, nor Yates can TT as well as Vincenzo. He has a fair chance of winning this thing.
User avatar Ivan_Basso_77
Junior Member
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 18:19
Location: Karlovo, Bulgaria

18 Dec 2018 19:05

Bernal being the best TT'er of the Colombians is like being a better descender than Andy Schleck.

If Nibali has trouble putting a dent into Dumoulin, I can see him attacking on the Gavia
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,858
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

18 Dec 2018 21:48

Red Rick wrote:Bernal being the best TT'er of the Colombians is like being a better descender than Andy Schleck.

If Nibali has trouble putting a dent into Dumoulin, I can see him attacking on the Gavia

Nah, he will take pink with an ambush attack on stage 17.You heard it here first
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,802
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

18 Dec 2018 22:20

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Bernal being the best TT'er of the Colombians is like being a better descender than Andy Schleck.

If Nibali has trouble putting a dent into Dumoulin, I can see him attacking on the Gavia

Nah, he will take pink with an ambush attack on stage 17.You heard it here first

Gavia attack is mandatory to put 5 of Dumoulin's teammates OOT.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,858
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

18 Dec 2018 22:55

Red Rick wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Bernal being the best TT'er of the Colombians is like being a better descender than Andy Schleck.

If Nibali has trouble putting a dent into Dumoulin, I can see him attacking on the Gavia

Nah, he will take pink with an ambush attack on stage 17.You heard it here first

Gavia attack is mandatory to put 5 of Dumoulin's teammates OOT.

:lol:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,802
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

27 Dec 2018 14:20

Sooo, the schedule is

UAE Tour
Strade Bianche
Tirreno Adriatico
Milano Sanremo
Tour of the Alps
Liege Bastogne Liege
Giro d'Italia
Nats RR
Tour
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,858
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

27 Dec 2018 14:27

Giro & TdF? Naah. :confused:
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“steel slats” does not a wall make.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,389
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

27 Dec 2018 17:06

Robert5091 wrote:Giro & TdF? Naah. :confused:


If he can follow Slongo's scooter before the TdF on Passo San Pellegrino all should be fine. Thing is he never truly tried this double, it's the first time when the idea is more consistent though it will definitely be all in for the Giro and let's see what happens next.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,612
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

27 Dec 2018 17:10

No one knows whether Vincenzo is capable of delivering in two GTs in a row. Winning the Giro alone will be hard enough. The excitement for next season is definitely building up, though. :D
User avatar Ivan_Basso_77
Junior Member
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 25 Nov 2012 18:19
Location: Karlovo, Bulgaria

27 Dec 2018 17:15

It's pointless to go for the Vuelta anyway with that horrible route.
Mini build up for LBL, Giro main focus, Tour stage hunting probably.
Uncertain end of the season...
User avatar Climbing
Member
 
Posts: 1,832
Joined: 08 Jun 2010 08:18

Re:

27 Dec 2018 20:16

Climbing wrote:It's pointless to go for the Vuelta anyway with that horrible route.
Mini build up for LBL, Giro main focus, Tour stage hunting probably.
Uncertain end of the season...


Probably the Italian races in the end of the season, but he would need a preparation race at least before that probably. Even though considerable rest is also needed after the two GTs. Depends on how he races the Tour though I guess. GC or stage hunting. Even though it is a big effort either way, after the Giro.
Salvarani
Member
 
Posts: 725
Joined: 15 Oct 2017 15:25

27 Dec 2018 21:04

In 2015 he was good in the fall despite having done almost no racing since the Tour.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,858
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

27 Dec 2018 23:07

Personally I'd like to see a Giro/Vuelta season. TdF idea is for the sponsors maybe?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“steel slats” does not a wall make.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,389
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

28 Dec 2018 14:07

Robert5091 wrote:Personally I'd like to see a Giro/Vuelta season. TdF idea is for the sponsors maybe?

Likely.

I guess they think he could do a decent GC, the Vuelta isn't amazing for him either.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,858
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

29 Dec 2018 03:44

I can't believe I almost forgot to include Nibali's Milan-San Remo win when I started writing my Year in Review article. It's in there now.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,168
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

29 Dec 2018 07:48

Red Rick wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2327630#p2327630</span>]Robert5091[/url] wrote:Personally I'd like to see a Giro/Vuelta season. TdF idea is for the sponsors maybe?

Likely.

I guess they think he could do a decent GC, the Vuelta isn't amazing for him either.


With Mohoric & Pozzovivo at the Vuelta, Nibs could do well - especially on the Vuelta's "flat stages" :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“steel slats” does not a wall make.
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,389
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

29 Dec 2018 19:15

Giro-Tour... :mad: . I hope that the Tour is to please the sponsors and that Vincenzo manages to squeeze himself out of this non-sense.

Nibali can will the Giro. No doubt. Unlike '18, there won't be an extra week to recover, and even then, You could tell that Froome and Dumoulin weren't nearly at 100%.

Bad idea.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,181
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

29 Dec 2018 22:45

Tonton wrote:Giro-Tour... :mad: . I hope that the Tour is to please the sponsors and that Vincenzo manages to squeeze himself out of this non-sense.

Nibali can will the Giro. No doubt. Unlike '18, there won't be an extra week to recover, and even then, You could tell that Froome and Dumoulin weren't nearly at 100%.

Bad idea.


Giro is the target, Tour is an afterthought. Most likely to please the sponsors which by some rumours are failing to pay the wages since a few good months which in turn might be the reason Nibali started the idea that he is open to business elsewhere.

On the other hand his performance at the Tour, I think, will depend on whether he wins the Giro or not. If he fails it might be a road to redemption, he is quite capable of surprises when his pride takes a beating. A Tour team with Rohan, Teuns, Caruso, Mohoric, Sonny, Tratnik would do a very good TTT for starters. Who knows?
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,612
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

07 Jan 2019 11:50

Trek Segafredo?

"Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Nibali is meeting with the team and their Italian coffee sponsor Segafredo on Monday to discus a two-year contract through 2021. Nibali, 34, will also meet with his current team Bahrain-Merida in the evening about extending his current contract beyond 2019."

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vincenzo-nibali-linked-trek-segafredo-2020-404162#DhkXR5RhZmQzCgBA.99
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,612
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests

Back to top