Register

Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 May 2013 14:35

Vino attacks everyone wrote:Well that is stupid, so Froome is 1th rate, AC is 1.1th rate and Nibbles is 1.3th rate?

WE NEED A NEW SYSTEM GUYS!!! :mad:

omg

For those who didn't get it:

MY POINT:

According to vino attacks everyone's first-second rate system, Nibali is up there with Froome and Contador, just like Quintana, Rodriguez and others. I don't agree. But I don't think he belongs in the second rate category, with Scarponi, Rolland and VDB, either. IMO he and Rodriguez, Valverde etc belong somewhere in between. That's why I said that I don't like the first-second rate system.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

20 May 2013 14:36

Pentacycle wrote:Nope, that's in the U23. A friend of mine, who is 19, improves his PR's every month or so. As soon as you become pro in the elite levels, you acclimatise to that and gain experience, progressing even more.

From then on it's just marginal progress though, except if you're unrightfully pushed into an domestique role, or become pro at a somewhat later age.

Okay, I wasn't sure, thanks for explaining this.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

20 May 2013 14:39

LaFlorecita wrote:omg

For those who didn't get it:

MY POINT:

According to vino attacks everyone's first-second rate system, Nibali is up there with Froome and Contador, just like Quintana, Rodriguez and others. I don't agree. But I don't think he belongs in the second rate category, with Scarponi, Rolland and VDB, either. IMO he and Rodriguez, Valverde etc belong somewhere in between. That's why I said that I don't like the first-second rate system.

I know what you meant :D:p
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone
Veteran

20 May 2013 14:45

Pentacycle wrote:Nibali =/= Purito. Nibali was born as a GC rider, Purito is too light to be consistent enough during a GT. He didn't even bother about his TT position until a few years ago.

And after Purito worked his TT he became a GT rider :)

Nibs can still improve his TT, position and power on the flats. Until he does that he will be distinctly disadvantaged against the likes of Froome, AC and even Wiggins. But he can take Wiggins on the climbs and descending...not so the other 2.
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:03

LaFlorecita wrote:Agreed. No one doubts that Nibali is a strong stage racer though. Just not as strong as some make him out to be. For example people saying (although jokingly) that he will certainly win Vuelta, WC, Lombardia this year and TDF next year, it's a bit too much for me.

Alberto has already been in such a position before and still attacked, Froome we don't know of course but he does seem to like stamping his dominancy all over a race.

Nibali winning all those races was always said in a joking manner, only the most hardcore Nibali fans actually believe he'll win all those.

But Contador only did that when he was in invincible form, In other races (Tour 2010, Vuelta 2012) he has ridden more conservatively while in the leaders jersey.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:05

Pentacycle wrote:Nope, that's in the U23. A friend of mine, who is 19, improves his PR's every month or so. As soon as you become pro in the elite levels, you acclimatise to that and gain experience, progressing even more.

From then on(older than 25-26) it's just marginal progress though, except if you're unrightfully pushed into a domestique role, or become pro at a somewhat later age.

Well that sure doesn't explain Froome's Zero to Hero at age 27.....
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:07

Netserk wrote:When Contador is in the leader's jersey he usually follows moves mostly and also does some attacks.

It's not like Contador constantly attacks when he is the leader.

Vuelta '12: Only one mountain stage left and probably couldn't attack, but also didn't try.

Giro '11: Followed and cooperated with Rujano on Grossglockner. Followed and attacked Nibali on Zonc. Attacked on Giau, Fedaia and Gardeccia. Attacked on Macugnaga. Followed on Finestre/Sestriere.

Tour '10: Followed Andy on Tourmalet. Made a half-attack.

Tour '09: Followed the Schlecks (and made some half-attacks) towards Le Grand-Bornand. Followed on Ventoux.

Grossglockner definately counts as an attack. Rujano was like 6 down on gc at the time.

also in the other examples you give Contador got the jersey very late so he had no chances to attack while in the jersey. In 09 he was virtual lead when he attacked on verbier as he had been for a week cos the oficial leader of the race was nocentini 6 seconds in front. In 07 chicken had the jersey. In 2010 he was behind Andy because of cobblesgate and only got the jersey with the tourmalet mtf to go where Andy attacked quite far from the bottom.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:08

Carols wrote:Indeed, he has progress incrementally and nicely since Giro 2010.

If he manages this win that is a Vuelta and a Giro in the win column, plus a podium at Le Tour. Not bad for a so called 2nd rate rider :D

+1 you simply cannot dismiss a rider who has podiums in all 3 GTs. Froome's palmares is threadbare by comparison. He is objectively one of the best GC men around and that's why he's winning the Giro
Scientific Expert
User avatar taiwan

20 May 2013 15:09

Carols wrote:Well that sure doesn't explain Froome's Zero to Hero at age 27.....

You're right, but let's not adress this subject any further, for the sake of this thread.
User avatar Pentacycle

20 May 2013 15:27

Anyone got a good caption for this photo?
del1962
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:29

User avatar Afrank
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:31

del1962 wrote:Image

Anyone got a good caption for this photo?

Damn he looks like a wasted old man....this Giro is brutal!!! :(
Alberto Contador=Legend!

User avatar Carols
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:32

Carols wrote:Damn he looks like a wasted old man....this Giro is brutal!!! :(

That was T-A stage 6:D
del1962
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:34

del1962 wrote:That was T-A stage 6:D

Damn!!! He looks totaled exhausted. As I recall that was a wet, cold day also, yes?
Alberto Contador=Legend!

User avatar Carols
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:38

He is looking a lot older nowadays and right now his face looks really gaunt in certain pictures. I hope his form and health holds up
User avatar whittashau

20 May 2013 15:42

whittashau wrote:He is looking a lot older nowadays and right now his face looks really gaunt in certain pictures. I hope his form and health holds up

Me also, still a week to go!!!! It's not over until the finish line!
Alberto Contador=Legend!

User avatar Carols
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:47

I hope Nibali will aim for the Giro year after year.

Would be awesome if he could get 3 wins :eek: :)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

20 May 2013 15:59

What the hell. Stop with the Jinxing. The guy has less than a 2 minute lead. You guys are terrible.
User avatar whittashau

20 May 2013 17:14

Carols wrote:If he manages this win that is a Vuelta and a Giro in the win column, plus a podium at Le Tour. Not bad for a so called 2nd rate rider :D

He's just lucky. Weak fields :o
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

20 May 2013 17:25

SafeBet wrote:He's just lucky. Weak fields :o

You can't deny that if Anton didn't crush in the vuelta... :p
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing