Register

Joaquim 'Purito' Rodriguez Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

28 May 2012 09:57

If uphill sprints and accelerations are considered attacks then Rodriguez is an attacking rider.

Thing is he never stepped out of his comfort zone even when it became obvious that sprinting away in the last km would not be enough. His "attack" on the Stelvio was the crowning moment of his pathetic riding.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

28 May 2012 10:02

roundabout wrote:If uphill sprints and accelerations are considered attacks then Rodriguez is an attacking rider.

Thing is he never stepped out of his comfort zone even when it became obvious that sprinting away in the last km would not be enough. His "attack" on the Stelvio was the crowning moment of his pathetic riding.

You can't blame Rodriguez for that. Hesjedal was clearly stronger. It's obvious it was completely impossible for Rodriguez to ride 16 seconds faster in the mountains.
Lanark

28 May 2012 10:05

Lanark wrote:You can't blame Rodriguez for that. Hesjedal was clearly stronger. It's obvious it was completely impossible for Rodriguez to ride 16 seconds faster in the mountains.

That's total malarkey. Hesjedal was clearly the strongest in 2km efforts. We never saw any other kind. Now, Hesjedal might well have been the strongest in 5, 10, 20 or 50km efforts, but they never put him to the test because everybody was perfectly content with what they already had.

(sorry if "total malarkey" sounds harsh, I just really love the word "malarkey")
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

28 May 2012 10:12

No, it's not obvious. Hesjedal is not a machine and he can have worse days. I think he was (Ed.rather looked) stronger on Friday than on Saturday for example.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

28 May 2012 10:14

Damn, is my sarcasm really that hard to read? :(
Lanark

28 May 2012 10:15

Oh. Duh. :o
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

28 May 2012 10:58

Oh. OH.
But it's ok because many people are saying exactly that for reals :p
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

28 May 2012 17:23

Yes, purito was ridiculous and katusha were awful.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

29 Aug 2012 17:59

Will he race Tour next year? Rumor is parcourse is very climber friendly.:D
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

29 Aug 2012 18:23

maxmartin wrote:Will he race Tour next year? Rumor is parcourse is very climber friendly.:D

If he keeps improving like the tting won't matter that much anymore:eek:
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

29 Aug 2012 18:40

roundabout wrote:If uphill sprints and accelerations are considered attacks then Rodriguez is an attacking rider.

That's a bit harsh don't you think? He has the most complete performance wise grand tour of his career and you think his riding was "pathetic"?
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

29 Aug 2012 19:16

Gotta say, I am very impressed with how he has improved his time trialing. He's turned himself from a climber who always loses their lead in the TT to a genuine GC contender. Maybe Schleck should go to Katusha. :D

maxmartin wrote:Will he race Tour next year? Rumor is parcourse is very climber friendly.:D

Can't see him wanting to go race the tour, the giro and vuelta seem to be his races of choice. And he probably would have a better chance since in the tour he will likely have to contend with Contador, Froome, Schleck, maybe Wiggins, and others.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

29 Aug 2012 19:21

Afrank wrote:

Can't see him wanting to go race the tour, the giro and vuelta seem to be his races of choice. And he probably would have a better chance since in the tour he will likely have to contend with Contador, Froome, Schleck, maybe Wiggins, and others.

Granted but you also have to look at it from the perspective that next year's Tour may be the only one he will ever have a chance of winning or possibly even podiuming and he has shown he can challenge with the best climbers in the world, with his new found TT damage limitation, he may fancy pitting himself against the best the Tour has to offer. What it may depend on is in fact how he place in this race, as a win may mean he would like to challenge for something bigger... a podium and he may want to win next year etc
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

29 Aug 2012 19:36

Maybe he will because he's Katusha's best GC rider, but not because he has a chance of being in the podium. Plus in the Tour there are NO TIME BONUSES. I'd rather see him in the Giro/Vuelta again.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

29 Aug 2012 19:50

Froome19 wrote:Granted but you also have to look at it from the perspective that next year's Tour may be the only one he will ever have a chance of winning or possibly even podiuming and he has shown he can challenge with the best climbers in the world, with his new found TT damage limitation, he may fancy pitting himself against the best the Tour has to offer. What it may depend on is in fact how he place in this race, as a win may mean he would like to challenge for something bigger... a podium and he may want to win next year etc

Then he would be falling into the same trap that befell Sammy Sanchez. Everytime he would have relative success at the Tour or the Vuelta he immediately make the other event his focus. Had he stuck with the Vuelta in consecutive years he may have had a grand tour win under his belt. Not that he hasn't had a successful career but I'm certain he would love to have won the Vuelta. He came especially close in 2009 barely losing to Valverde.

I think Purito is one of the smartest riders in that he's realized that the Giro and Vuelta are more fitting to his talents while others still chase the dream resulting in an anonymous top 10 or even outside the top 10 finish.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

29 Aug 2012 20:55

Angliru wrote:Then he would be falling into the same trap that befell Sammy Sanchez. Everytime he would have relative success at the Tour or the Vuelta he immediately make the other event his focus. Had he stuck with the Vuelta in consecutive years he may have had a grand tour win under his belt. Not that he hasn't had a successful career but I'm certain he would love to have won the Vuelta. He came especially close in 2009 barely losing to Valverde.

I think Purito is one of the smartest riders in that he's realized that the Giro and Vuelta are more fitting to his talents while others still chase the dream resulting in an anonymous top 10 or even outside the top 10 finish.

Agreed I hope he chooses not to do the Tour, though I do believe it would be a much more exciting spectacle with him racing.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

30 Aug 2012 01:20

Angliru wrote:That's a bit harsh don't you think? He has the most complete performance wise grand tour of his career and you think his riding was "pathetic"?

Rodriguez is riding smart, riding to his strengths and taking advantage of the stage bonuses. He and everyone else knows that he is not a Contador type rider.
movingtarget
Veteran

30 Aug 2012 01:37

movingtarget wrote:Rodriguez is riding smart, riding to his strengths and taking advantage of the stage bonuses. He and everyone else knows that he is not a Contador type rider.

So what are Rodriguez's strengths as a climber and why can't he stay with someone like Contador?
richwagmn

30 Aug 2012 01:57

richwagmn wrote:So what are Rodriguez's strengths as a climber and why can't he stay with someone like Contador?

Rodriguez's strenghs as a climber always seemed to be more hills and shorter climbs than long mountains.

Dan Lloyd on itv today said that Rodriguez due to his explosiveness prefers short sharp efforts rather than constant effort over a longer period and it makes sense.

but as for why he cant stay with someone like Contador, well because Contador is just better than everyone else in the mountains.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

30 Aug 2012 02:03

richwagmn wrote:So what are Rodriguez's strengths as a climber and why can't he stay with someone like Contador?

I think he is like Valverde. A very good climber with a great sprint which is why he does well in the classics as well. A high unvaried pace is good for him like most sprinters but the stop start attacks of Contador he struggles with. Contador and Schleck are more natural climbers who can change pace a lot. Some riders can handle that but most can't. Even Froome has taken time to respond to Contador's attacks so far and only failed on one stage to close the gap. Contador has showed he can make the gap but he is struggling to maintain it. As usual the third week will tell all. Rodriguez and Valverede have been happy to see Contador open a gap and they can ride at their own pace while Froome is trying to respond to all of Contador's attacks immediately and got caught out. Rodriguez may be riding a bit conservatively but he knows one stage can cost him the race if he tries too hard to follow Contador every time he attacks. He also knows if he can close a small gap before the finish he will always outsprint Contador.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing