Log in:  

Register

Joaquim 'Purito' Rodriguez Discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Aug 2012 02:05

movingtarget wrote:Rodriguez is riding smart, riding to his strengths and taking advantage of the stage bonuses. He and everyone else knows that he is not a Contador type rider.

He rode so smart he lost a Giro he should have won.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,743
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

30 Aug 2012 02:06

Afrank wrote:Can't see him wanting to go race the tour, the giro and vuelta seem to be his races of choice. And he probably would have a better chance since in the tour he will likely have to contend with Contador, Froome, Schleck, maybe Wiggins, and others.


He won a stage - his aim, in Tour 2010 so skipped it in 2011, then had to skip it in 2012 due to the parcors, but i think he will want to go back next year. Especially since he can then do a proper peak for Ardennes, then do a Tour Burgos Vuelta worlds, mega peak.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,907
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

30 Aug 2012 02:08

hrotha wrote:He rode so smart he lost a Giro he should have won.


Do we know he should have won? we dont know how he felt and he probably doesnt trust himself to be able to hold of other riders over a longer distance.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,907
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

30 Aug 2012 02:17

The Hitch wrote:Do we know he should have won? we dont know how he felt and he probably doesnt trust himself to be able to hold of other riders over a longer distance.

We don't "know" anything, except that he didn't try.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,743
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

30 Aug 2012 02:18

hrotha wrote:He rode so smart he lost a Giro he should have won.


I was talking about the Vuelta. As for the Giro, I don't think anyone expected that result. I thought Rodriguez rode well with a good TT and Ryder was too consistent for him.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

30 Aug 2012 09:42

The Hitch wrote:Do we know he should have won? we dont know how he felt and he probably doesnt trust himself to be able to hold of other riders over a longer distance.


Yeah, he didn't get rid of Hesjedal on his bad day. Cost him the race.
User avatar will10
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

30 Aug 2012 11:11

hrotha wrote:He rode so smart he lost a Giro he should have won.
Here we go again, you and your "he should've done more" nonsense. As if a forum poster behind a computer knows better than the rider himself. :rolleyes:
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,783
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

30 Aug 2012 12:04

will10 wrote:Yeah, he didn't get rid of Hesjedal on his bad day. Cost him the race.


I'll try to refesh your memories. Purito did get rid of Ryder on his bad day. He took an amazing 40 seconds on him on the stage that Rabottini won. Hesjedal was spent after his huge effort to take 25 secons on Purito the day before in Cervinia. And all of that because when Purito attacked in Cervinia with 2-3 kms to go, Scarponi & Co jumped on his wheel and he couldn't go, but later on when Ryder attacked Purito was spent and all the others didn't want to help in the chase. It is blatantly obvious that Purito lost the Giro for the same reasons that Gilbert has been a year without winning anything. Everyone rides against them. :rolleyes: :p
icefire
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,808
Joined: 21 Sep 2009 19:24

30 Aug 2012 20:28

Another good stage for Purito today. I like that he's attacking where the stages really fit his abilities. Too bad he couldn't get a little more time on Contador today, but . Soon we'll see how well he can ride the big peaks.
Viking
Junior Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: 18 Jun 2012 15:30

30 Aug 2012 21:22

Viking wrote:Another good stage for Purito today. I like that he's attacking where the stages really fit his abilities. Too bad he couldn't get a little more time on Contador today, but . Soon we'll see how well he can ride the big peaks.
Yes, I agree. Wait and see amigo!
User avatar bicifan
Junior Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 26 Jun 2012 00:06
Location: Porlamar

30 Aug 2012 21:47

Viking wrote:Another good stage for Purito today. I like that he's attacking where the stages really fit his abilities. Too bad he couldn't get a little more time on Contador today, but . Soon we'll see how well he can ride the big peaks.


I wouldnt call today an attack, if he really wanted to gain time he should have attacked Contador the second they broke free and attempted to go all out, instead of playing to his acceleration which would never give him enough time.

Anyway I think he knows that this is all play, vital play but still play and it is crucial he turns up for the big mountains, because that is where this race will truly be decided.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

30 Aug 2012 23:13

do you know anything about cycling? no way purito would go for an all out attack that far from the finish of a super steep hill. he would just cut his own throat. its a good job he knows a lot more about managing physical resources than you do
willbick
Member
 
Posts: 1,487
Joined: 07 Jul 2012 18:11

31 Aug 2012 10:46

Froome19 wrote:I wouldnt call today an attack, if he really wanted to gain time he should have attacked Contador the second they broke free and attempted to go all out, instead of playing to his acceleration which would never give him enough time.

Anyway I think he knows that this is all play, vital play but still play and it is crucial he turns up for the big mountains, because that is where this race will truly be decided.


Well of course it was an attack. He made Contador look like he was standing still. Just a shame that Contador also grabbed a time bonus. Not the easiest climb to go all out on. Even Contador did not try that even when he saw he had the gap on Froome. Rodriguez handled the Stelvio well in the Giro. The race will be decided by Contador. His TT was good and that was expected but so far his climbing has been no better than Rodriguez. Everyone has talked about how Froome looks like he is struggling. To me Contador has not looked that great either. Rodriguez is like Wiggins. He has improved a lot in the last 12 months whereas before he never looked like he could win a grand tour.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

31 Aug 2012 11:00

movingtarget wrote:Well of course it was an attack. He made Contador look like he was standing still. Just a shame that Contador also grabbed a time bonus. Not the easiest climb to go all out on. Even Contador did not try that even when he saw he had the gap on Froome. Rodriguez handled the Stelvio well in the Giro. The race will be decided by Contador. His TT was good and that was expected but so far his climbing has been no better than Rodriguez. Everyone has talked about how Froome looks like he is struggling. To me Contador has not looked that great either. Rodriguez is like Wiggins. He has improved a lot in the last 12 months whereas before he never looked like he could win a grand tour.


Rodriguez already dropped 2 times on the longer climbs, Contador didn't pay attention to him since Froome was the bigger threat.

Tss get your facts straight.
User avatar Miburo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,832
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

31 Aug 2012 11:12

Miburo wrote:Rodriguez already dropped 2 time on the longer climbs, Contador didn't pay attention to him since Froome was the bigger threat.

Tss get your facts straight.


Froome is not looking like the biggest threat at the moment is he ? Yes Contador dropped Rodriguez but where did it get him. Even putting a minute into Rodriguez in the TT has not put Contador into the red jersey. Contador is still favourite but I think Rodriguez is being underestimated.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

31 Aug 2012 13:59

Froome19 wrote:I wouldnt call today an attack, if he really wanted to gain time he should have attacked Contador the second they broke free and attempted to go all out, instead of playing to his acceleration which would never give him enough time.

Anyway I think he knows that this is all play, vital play but still play and it is crucial he turns up for the big mountains, because that is where this race will truly be decided.


Yeah, it was an attack. It was a short, but very steep climb that no one was likely to gain much time.

A rider can't just attack at any old time and expect it to work out. They have to wait for the right moment. Otherwise, if Purito really wanted to attack, he'd have done so as soon as the peleton left the neutral zone ;)
Viking
Junior Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: 18 Jun 2012 15:30

01 Sep 2012 22:01

Purito's chopper pic. He's in control! :)
Image
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,783
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

01 Sep 2012 22:09

Bah, I suppose the leader with the press conferences etc would take more time to get off a mountain, but I want choppers for all.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,174
Joined: 07 Jun 2010 11:43

02 Sep 2012 00:24

cineteq wrote:Purito's chopper pic. He's in control! :)


He absolutely is in control! :D

Image
User avatar Parrot23
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,067
Joined: 11 Apr 2009 00:57

02 Sep 2012 00:26

What's with those sideburns though? He's scaringly wigginish.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,134
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bot. Sky_Bot, Google Adsense [Bot] and 124 guests

Back to top