Log in:  

Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

15 May 2017 16:09

Jspear wrote:
LanLions wrote:Does Pinot's performance in the Giro give further credit to Contador's performance on stage 2 of Andalucia? Especially as Contador said he wasn't as good as last year? Feeling optimistic for July.


No


Elaborate?
User avatar LanLions
Junior Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 00:55

Re: Re:

15 May 2017 16:33

Jspear wrote:
LanLions wrote:Does Pinot's performance in the Giro give further credit to Contador's performance on stage 2 of Andalucia? Especially as Contador said he wasn't as good as last year? Feeling optimistic for July.


No

Why?
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

15 May 2017 16:36

Pinot is a half-god, so it obviously does, he will in July now.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,872
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

15 May 2017 16:36

Red Rick wrote:Meanwhile, Trek riders are reaching top form

Jesus Hernandez got a top 50 spot today. Legendary

Kind of harsh on a rider who's placed top-20 on several tough MTFs in GTs, a few years ago though, mind you.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

15 May 2017 16:40

Valv.Piti wrote:Pinot is a half-god, so it obviously does, he will in July now.

He will what in July? Don't leave us hanging
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

15 May 2017 16:41

Pinot seems the best he's ever been, and he's been good all year. Losing to a good Pinot is not losing to some low level climber. But it's not a loss to Quintana or a super good Froome either.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 10,921
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Procrastination nation

Re: Re:

15 May 2017 16:42

LaFlorecita wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Pinot is a half-god, so it obviously does, he will in July now.

He will what in July? Don't leave us hanging

I hope you are intelligent enough to figure out the missing word to complete my sentence!
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,872
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

16 May 2017 02:09

LanLions wrote:
Jspear wrote:
LanLions wrote:Does Pinot's performance in the Giro give further credit to Contador's performance on stage 2 of Andalucia? Especially as Contador said he wasn't as good as last year? Feeling optimistic for July.


No


Elaborate?


AC's performance was okay in Andalucia, but getting beat by Pinot, now matter how great he's doing, isn't good. Pinot is still a level below Quintana and Froome.

I see no reason to be optimistic about AC doing well (winning) in July. I'm trying to come to grips with that now so I'm not disappointed in July. If AC somehow managed to win the Tour, I would be beyond crazy happy. I'd cry...and I don't get emotional about many things....
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,967
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

16 May 2017 18:27

Gogl, Felline, Cardoso and Brändle are currently training in Tenerife with Alberto. Will all of them make the Tour team? It seems unlikely to me, with Pantano, Degenkolb, De Kort and Mollema as near certainties.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

16 May 2017 19:20

LaFlorecita wrote:Gogl, Felline, Cardoso and Brändle are currently training in Tenerife with Alberto. Will all of them make the Tour team? It seems unlikely to me, with Pantano, Degenkolb, De Kort and Mollema as near certainties.

Why? You put 9 riders in your post
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,001
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

16 May 2017 19:32

portugal11 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Gogl, Felline, Cardoso and Brändle are currently training in Tenerife with Alberto. Will all of them make the Tour team? It seems unlikely to me, with Pantano, Degenkolb, De Kort and Mollema as near certainties.

Why? You put 9 riders in your post

But we have also Zubeldia, Irizar, Rast, Theuns that have a good chance to be selected. It seems likely that they will take at least 1 more flat domestique besides Brändle.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

19 May 2017 01:26

I can't believe that I missed his exchange! Pinot a semi-God? Not bad. And I didn't write it? ;)

The fact is that on that Ruta stage, Berto put the hammer down, and Valverde, for once, got bludgeoned. In '17, that's the only time that Piti got smacked. And that was all Contador. Pinot was smart and harvested a ripe fruit.

If, as it should be, Alberto is doing his homework and his training right now, he'll be a big factor in July. Quintana is getting his hands full in Italy, he won't be 100%. Only Bertie can save the World from the dark side and Darth Vadroome.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,033
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

19 May 2017 08:10

Just saw the Dauphiné route, a shame Alberto isn't targetting the race because it looks like a great route for him. Probably his last chance to add it to his palmares. Oh well, hope this'll allow him to be stronger at the Tour and hopefully he can win a stage at the Dauphiné...
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

20 May 2017 19:17

Too little hype lately, come on what's wrong with you people :p
Climber123
Junior Member
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 17 Feb 2017 15:19

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

20 May 2017 20:35

Climber123 wrote:Too little hype lately, come on what's wrong with you people :p

There's no hype material
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

20 May 2017 20:36

Given how the Giro is going, Contador looks good for a podium spot behind Froome and Richie.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,661
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re:

20 May 2017 20:44

Netserk wrote:Given how the Giro is going, Contador looks good for a podium spot behind Froome and Richie.

I don't think this Giro changes anything about his chances at all. Well, maybe his chances have gotten worse because Thomas will work for Froome and a tired Quintana might be more inclined to sacrifice himself for Valverde.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Re:

21 May 2017 08:47

LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:Given how the Giro is going, Contador looks good for a podium spot behind Froome and Richie.

I don't think this Giro changes anything about his chances at all. Well, maybe his chances have gotten worse because Thomas will work for Froome and a tired Quintana might be more inclined to sacrifice himself for Valverde.


Valverde < Contador over three weeks. Yes he was stronger in spring but even then Contador was pretty close to him.
Climber123
Junior Member
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 17 Feb 2017 15:19

Re: Re:

21 May 2017 09:14

Climber123 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:Given how the Giro is going, Contador looks good for a podium spot behind Froome and Richie.

I don't think this Giro changes anything about his chances at all. Well, maybe his chances have gotten worse because Thomas will work for Froome and a tired Quintana might be more inclined to sacrifice himself for Valverde.


Valverde < Contador over three weeks. Yes he was stronger in spring but even then Contador was pretty close to him.

I know, and that's exactly why Contador's chances have gone down, beating a Quintana coming from the Giro and Valverde separately is easier than beating Valverde supported by Quintana.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,305
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

21 May 2017 09:17

Contador beating Froome but not Valverde seems absurd that it seems plausible in todays world
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 10,921
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Procrastination nation

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Blanco, diggercuz, DNP-Old, Google [Bot], ice&fire, Ikbengodniet, liamito and 66 guests

Back to top