Log in:  

Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2017 18:34

Netserk wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Lexman wrote:http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20170808_03008439

Trek will be the first team on the startlist and so Contador will be honoured to wear the number one for his last race

If the rumours of the rift with Trek are true
, maybe they'll give the number one to Degenkolb instead. Hopefully they won't sink to Tinkov levels of pettiness though.

Source?

Seems like it is purely speculation (wishful thinking) from your hand...

The source is Contador and his brother both saying/implying that signing a new contract was imminent and almost a sure thing. Followed by the very abrupt u-turn announcing his departure.

Read into it what you will, but not sure why it would be 'wishful thinking' on my behalf. That makes no sense at all (for a change :rolleyes: ). Imo it is a shame if a breakdown in the relationship has resulted in a slightly earlier retirement.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

08 Aug 2017 18:45

I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,914
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2017 18:46

gunara wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D


That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.

Thats Purito, such a warm person with a great personality.. the end of an era, only Valverde can stop that in 2018.


Purito, sweet Purito. Ah, I imagine I will enjoy cycling very differently when all three of them gone. My cycling knowledge from before their era was very thin, and I think I'll be soon too old to examine the details of younger generation, so these three are always my superstars.

As for Alberto's 'decision', I just noticed it a few minutes ago, can't say I was too surprised, but still, it's one of the biggest names of our time announcing retirement, and also the athlete that have my emotional attention the most in this planet, I have to swallow it first before really feel anything


Boonen, Cancellara, Freire, Hushovd... We had the privilege to see these heroes in action.
Velorooms: bonnen_attacks
User avatar contador_attacks
Junior Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 01 Sep 2015 13:26
Location: Brazil

Re:

08 Aug 2017 18:58

Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2017 20:02

DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.

He's made a career sending signals that later on haven't matched the facts.
ice&fire
Member
 
Posts: 1,043
Joined: 01 Jul 2015 19:30

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2017 20:05

DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.


Agree with this. The marginal benefit of Contador to Trek this season was likely lower than his marginal cost, which decreased the power of the spaniard to negotiate his schedule or whatever.
And since he hasn't found a team who would be willing to pay what he think he deserved, or didn't have the patience to have a hard time at negotiating (contrasting with some years ago), he decided to retire. Perfectly fine, he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, nor does he need the money.

Screw that anyway, maybe we'll have Contador: the cycling commentator.
User avatar lenric
Member
 
Posts: 1,330
Joined: 19 May 2014 21:52

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2017 20:32

ice&fire wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.

He's made a career sending signals that later on haven't matched the facts.

Yes, he has lied/misled a lot about various things through his career. But this is a bit different, it's not like the old adage of feigning weakness when your strong etc... It's difficult to see the motivations for lying (or at least misleading) about retiring; unless it was part of a game of brinkmanship with Trek or other potential employers.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

08 Aug 2017 21:06

He is retiring because he cant win races anymore. I am sure he is well aware of the years that have passed since he did anything in the Tour. Crikey, even Froome was struggling to drop anyone in the mountains this year.
arvc40
Member
 
Posts: 1,291
Joined: 01 Jul 2013 15:27

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

08 Aug 2017 22:47

Carols wrote:I am touring in Scotland and just heard the news... it is good I am busy! congrats to grande Campeon, one of the very best I have witnessed in the last 50+ years! Long may his Legend live on to inspire new cyclists. He will be sorely missed :(

Hi Carols, I tried to PM you but not sure it worked. Jist of it was, hope you are enjoying Scotland and if you are passing near to North Queensferry, I would be delighted to meet up and buy you a coffee/lunch and talk all things Alberto:) North Queensferry is just under the rail/road bridges about 8 miles from Edinburgh airport:)
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,066
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

09 Aug 2017 00:54

I won't miss Contador, good riddance, not that we're closing an era, you see where i'm going with it :) .

What I will miss is LaFlo cheering for him. I will. Because being a fan is great. Through the good and the bad. That's what the true fans are. And still have the fortitude to remain (somewhat) objective.

I hope that Alberto Contador lits the Vuelta up, wins a big one. For LaFlo.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2017 01:09

DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.


I don't think he was forced to ride the Vuelta. I think the team actually wanted him in North America. If that rumor was true, then it's the opposite of what you think. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be at the Vuelta.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2017 07:24

Jspear wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.


I don't think he was forced to ride the Vuelta. I think the team actually wanted him in North America. If that rumor was true, then it's the opposite of what you think. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be at the Vuelta.

I find that difficult to believe. What purpose would there be in Contador going to North America for Trek? To do absolutely nothing in the Canadian one day races, to enter some really minor hillbilly crit, or just to have a few photos taken of him on Trek bikes with the Rockies in the background? It would be a complete waste of time compared with the publicity and exposure from doing a GT.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2017 07:35

DFA123 wrote:
Jspear wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.


I don't think he was forced to ride the Vuelta. I think the team actually wanted him in North America. If that rumor was true, then it's the opposite of what you think. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be at the Vuelta.

I find that difficult to believe. What purpose would there be in Contador going to North America for Trek? To do absolutely nothing in the Canadian one day races, to enter some really minor hillbilly crit, or just to have a few photos taken of him on Trek bikes with the Rockies in the background? It would be a complete waste of time compared with the publicity and exposure from doing a GT.


Maybe that is the reason they wanted him in North America, at least they get some good exposure to sell bikes and shirts rather than watching their star rider fall down the GC rather than compete for the win like in the Tour.
wheresmybrakes
Junior Member
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 11 Sep 2016 17:29

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2017 07:44

wheresmybrakes wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Jspear wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.

Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.


I don't think he was forced to ride the Vuelta. I think the team actually wanted him in North America. If that rumor was true, then it's the opposite of what you think. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be at the Vuelta.

I find that difficult to believe. What purpose would there be in Contador going to North America for Trek? To do absolutely nothing in the Canadian one day races, to enter some really minor hillbilly crit, or just to have a few photos taken of him on Trek bikes with the Rockies in the background? It would be a complete waste of time compared with the publicity and exposure from doing a GT.


Maybe that is the reason they wanted him in North America, at least they get some good exposure to sell bikes and shirts rather than watching their star rider fall down the GC rather than compete for the win like in the Tour.

So you think they would want to prevent the risk of him damaging their brand through racing badly? It's possible I guess. But surely his performances would be even more disastrous in the big North American one day races coming up - and he's not exactly the most charismatic person off the bike to send on a charm offensive around USA and Canada.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

09 Aug 2017 08:24

One of my fav riders ends his career, not much to say about it, time will catch up on everyone, sooner or later. I am no youngster myself I started to follow the sport the last time a swede won the Giro ;)

His attitude, 2nd place is not good enough, was the reason for me to start watching him, it is easy to like an attacker. However, what I do like more than anything is his class, stage 19, Giro 2011 as an example! What others say about him is of no concern to me, I can only judge him from what I see with my own eyes, and the end of that stage is worthy of my respect.
Rob_Roy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 19:48

Re:

09 Aug 2017 09:08

Red Rick wrote:I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.


I thought Trek was raving about the great feedback Contador was giving them about their bikes. It almost sounded like they would offer him a job when he retired.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,033
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

09 Aug 2017 10:50

Cycling Podcast saying

Contador still believed he could win the Tour in the Alps on the last week even when several minutes down
Also said he had decided to retire during the Tour and Trek told them at the Tour that their budget was tied up for 2018 (with Contador) and are now somewhat in the lurch with no big signings

Kinda looks like the retirement decision was not with Trek
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,801
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

09 Aug 2017 11:06

De Jongh also said that the plan was to go for next year's Giro, but during the Tour, something changed about Alberto. I guess he didn't want to dedicate another year to training with no guarantee of success.
His brother said Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he can't win anymore, but other factors influenced his decision.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,162
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

09 Aug 2017 11:35

LaFlorecita wrote:De Jongh also said that the plan was to go for next year's Giro, but during the Tour, something changed about Alberto. I guess he didn't want to dedicate another year to training with no guarantee of success.
His brother said Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he can't win anymore, but other factors influenced his decision.

Yeah, it sounds like he certainly had the offer to continue with Trek, but probably not on the terms that he would have liked.

I think Trek should be OK for a year without a replacement. They still have Degenkolb, Mollema, Pantano, Stuyven and Felline - should be more than enough to win the odd one day race, a few stages in GTs and get a decent GC. Better to wait for someone good to be available rather than rush in and pay over the odds to attract a medioce 'big name'.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

09 Aug 2017 13:32

Sad but inevitable to see the news on Contador's retirement. Will miss his big heart and fighting spirit and way of turning races upside down. What a career! I hope the up-and-coming attacking riders will continue to fight against the robot style of racing.

As per the conversation in some of the posts above - I saw this in today's Cycling Tips daily news digest - assuming the report is correct - which appears to cast further light on Trek being willing to let him race/retire on his terms in 2018, i.e. after the Giro if he wanted, and that it was Alberto's decision.

https://cyclingtips.com/news/report-trek-segafredo-aiming-replace-contador-aru/ (may have to scroll down a little to find the article)

Here's the relevant bit (the article also says they're now interested in Aru).

==================================
"In the wake of Monday’s news that Alberto Contador will retire from professional cycling after this year’s Vuelta a España, Het Nieuwsblad is reporting that Italian champion Fabio Aru is now a major target for Trek-Segafredo.

"The Belgian newspaper states that the team had been keen to keep Contador and, if required, was willing to offer him a five-month contract for next season. This would have enabled him to race up to the Giro d’Italia and then stop. If accepted, this would have been similar to the agreement Tom Boonen had with QuickStep Floors this season, where he raced until the Classics and then retired.

"However Contador instead opted to end his career after the Vuelta a España. Lacking a clear team leader, the squad is now searching for another figurehead and feels that Aru may fit the bill. The fact that Segafredo, the team’s co-sponsor, is Italian is a factor, and so too Aru’s potential to win Grand Tours in the future."
dusty red roads
Junior Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: 21 Mar 2015 09:14

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: silvergrenade and 16 guests

Back to top