Log in:  

Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

10 Aug 2017 07:55

Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:If that's true about refusing the 5 month contract then it's just incredibly sad.

Why? I guess he just changed his mind. Thought about it long and hard and figured it was time to say goodbye.

Because he planned to do it for longer, and now because of another disappointment he apparently he doesn't think it's worth doing anymore.

Oh I thought you meant sad in the pathetic kind of way.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 07:56

42x16ss wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
perico wrote:But I thought everyone at Tinkoff hated him...

https://mobile.twitter.com/mickrogers/status/895257436168359938


Mick was a good team mate. It seemed to be mutual.

Contador was a very popular team mate. Even Armstrong's $$$ struggled to turn people against him.

From the reactions on social media it seems Alberto is well-liked in the peloton especially among teammates and the Spaniards and Italians.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Re:

10 Aug 2017 08:07

LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
Red Rick wrote:If that's true about refusing the 5 month contract then it's just incredibly sad.

Why? I guess he just changed his mind. Thought about it long and hard and figured it was time to say goodbye.

Because he planned to do it for longer, and now because of another disappointment he apparently he doesn't think it's worth doing anymore.

Oh I thought you meant sad in the pathetic kind of way.

Were you questioning my fanboyism? :(
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,856
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

10 Aug 2017 09:11

Such a shame reading so much negative speculation here. I don't know how your minds work, but mine these days is just filled with sadness because of his retirement but also with happiness and curiosity about seeing the legend going to La Vuelta apparently in a good form.

And for the future I guess it will be only more Fundación Contador and FundContaTeam.
Pennino
Junior Member
 
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands

10 Aug 2017 09:29

What negative speculation?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 12:37

User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 12:47


Getting tired of this man.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 12:48

LaFlorecita wrote:

Getting tired of this man.

Read the rest of the article. Says Contador is basically the greatest modern rider and has much love for him.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 12:56

perico wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Getting tired of this man.

Read the rest of the article. Says Contador is basically the greatest modern rider and has much love for him.

It's clear Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he has no chance to win big races anymore - there is a different reason which we can only speculate about so it is strange to me to see Riis "angry".
Also I think Riis has lost touch with reality. Everything he's said about Contador recently makes it sound like Alberto could win anything he wants if he trained properly (implying he isn't doing that now) which is obviously nonsense.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 13:28

LaFlorecita wrote:
perico wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Getting tired of this man.

Read the rest of the article. Says Contador is basically the greatest modern rider and has much love for him.

It's clear Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he has no chance to win big races anymore - there is a different reason which we can only speculate about so it is strange to me to see Riis "angry".
Also I think Riis has lost touch with reality. Everything he's said about Contador recently makes it sound like Alberto could win anything he wants if he trained properly (implying he isn't doing that now) which is obviously nonsense.


Riis isn't really angry, Flo. You have to remember that it was a two way street. Alberto won a lot for Bjarn, and Bjarn stood by Alberto during dark times. There's a mutual love there.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

10 Aug 2017 14:38

He's neither pissed nor angry. A better translation of "ærgre sig" is upset, annoyed or disappointed. He thinks it's unfortunate that he's retiring, since he believes that he still has more left in him.

Which matches my own feelings quite well. I would personally much prefer if he also raced next year.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,862
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

10 Aug 2017 14:47

I think we all kind of have that feeling haven't we? Alberto could absolutely have won some more Tours. And I certainly believe Riis have some credibility here.

@Flo all this speculations why he's retiring, possible fights with Trek, it's really annoying. It could be perfectly true but there's absolutely no record of it in my view.
Pennino
Junior Member
 
Posts: 292
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands

10 Aug 2017 15:34

Bjarne Riis certainly is an idiot tho, theres no way around it. The media is giving that man far too much airtime recently - link me an article where he actually says something that isn't negative. Pretty much always complaining or critisizing.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

10 Aug 2017 16:38

Valv.Piti wrote:Bjarne Riis certainly is an idiot tho, theres no way around it. The media is giving that man far too much airtime recently - link me an article where he actually says something that isn't negative. Pretty much always complaining or critisizing.


Often, though, he's actually being asked for a critical view or perspective on a matter, not necessarily proactively being negative. The Danish (sports) journalists are often horrid at getting any meaningful answers, as they care more about sensationalism and hot takes rather than useful answers - it's borderline sad.
In regards to Contador, however, I don't get the sense that he has anything but respect for the man.
User avatar infeXio
Member
 
Posts: 1,650
Joined: 26 Nov 2011 17:15
Location: Denmark

10 Aug 2017 17:32

I don't think Riis has anything against Contador but his comments are unnecessarily negative and critical IMO, especially if he has a good relationship with Alberto.
He can be disappointed with Alberto's retirement as all of us are but it's Alberto's decision and we have to respect that. He will have his reasons for it and will have thought about it very well.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

10 Aug 2017 18:05

LaFlorecita wrote:I don't think Riis has anything against Contador but his comments are unnecessarily negative and critical IMO, especially if he has a good relationship with Alberto.
He can be disappointed with Alberto's retirement as all of us are but it's Alberto's decision and we have to respect that. He will have his reasons for it and will have thought about it very well.

Riis loves Contador, absolutely adores him.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Moderator
 
Posts: 7,356
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

10 Aug 2017 18:12

Valv.Piti wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:I don't think Riis has anything against Contador but his comments are unnecessarily negative and critical IMO, especially if he has a good relationship with Alberto.
He can be disappointed with Alberto's retirement as all of us are but it's Alberto's decision and we have to respect that. He will have his reasons for it and will have thought about it very well.

Riis loves Contador, absolutely adores him.

I know :)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,113
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

10 Aug 2017 21:17

ferryman wrote:
Carols wrote:I am touring in Scotland and just heard the news... it is good I am busy! congrats to grande Campeon, one of the very best I have witnessed in the last 50+ years! Long may his Legend live on to inspire new cyclists. He will be sorely missed :(

Hi Carols, I tried to PM you but not sure it worked. Jist of it was, hope you are enjoying Scotland and if you are passing near to North Queensferry, I would be delighted to meet up and buy you a coffee/lunch and talk all things Alberto:) North Queensferry is just under the rail/road bridges about 8 miles from Edinburgh airport:)

Wow sorry I missed this,i've been off line! Last night I was at the Tattoo, awesome, and left Edinburg this am. now I'm just outside Inverness, heading tk Skye by tomorrow pm. so sorry to have missed your Kind Offer!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,798
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

11 Aug 2017 01:08

Carols wrote:
ferryman wrote:
Carols wrote:I am touring in Scotland and just heard the news... it is good I am busy! congrats to grande Campeon, one of the very best I have witnessed in the last 50+ years! Long may his Legend live on to inspire new cyclists. He will be sorely missed :(

Hi Carols, I tried to PM you but not sure it worked. Jist of it was, hope you are enjoying Scotland and if you are passing near to North Queensferry, I would be delighted to meet up and buy you a coffee/lunch and talk all things Alberto:) North Queensferry is just under the rail/road bridges about 8 miles from Edinburgh airport:)

Wow sorry I missed this,i've been off line! Last night I was at the Tattoo, awesome, and left Edinburg this am. now I'm just outside Inverness, heading tk Skye by tomorrow pm. so sorry to have missed your Kind Offer!

To my shame as an Edinburgher, I've never been to the Tattoo:( You will love Skye:) My Mum was born not far from Inverness, so I love it up there:) The offer stands if you are passing near NQ on your way South:) Enjoy, but look oot for the midges on Skye;)
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,051
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

11 Aug 2017 01:12

Even for a rider and fighter like Contador, it must get harder and harder to sacrifice for one more win - he's won so much after all. I have wondered whether what happend to Porte this tour, and the crashes AC has had recently, have also taken their toll on his motivation and mental energy needed to continue. And perhaps there are family reasons we'll not know about. He spent a long time living in a place he didn't much like, and even though he's moved back to Pinto, the amount of time away from family must get wearing.

Whatever - I only hope he won't disappear. He's been a big inspiration for me.
Electress
Member
 
Posts: 1,204
Joined: 25 Aug 2014 23:40
Location: United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Google Adsense [Bot], Hugo Koblet, Jakob747, jsem94, Libertine Seguros, PeterB and 21 guests

Back to top