Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

11 Aug 2017 05:55

So the final mountain of his career is going to be the feared Angrilu. Hopefully he rides with some good form, it will be sad to see him struggle up it when he destroyed it 9 years ago. If he is out of GC contention this is the one mountain I want to see him win, having Angrilu twice on your palmares would be amazing.
Scarponi

11 Aug 2017 06:27

Cmon. Everyone knows he's gonna attack like a madman on the Cobertoria, Nibali will join in on the descent, they'll ride to the finish together, where Contador will gift Nibali the GC (Contador wins the stage) in exchange for the promise that Nibali will not retire before he's made cycling great again.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

11 Aug 2017 06:33

Electress wrote:Even for a rider and fighter like Contador, it must get harder and harder to sacrifice for one more win - he's won so much after all. I have wondered whether what happend to Porte this tour, and the crashes AC has had recently, have also taken their toll on his motivation and mental energy needed to continue. And perhaps there are family reasons we'll not know about. He spent a long time living in a place he didn't much like, and even though he's moved back to Pinto, the amount of time away from family must get wearing.

Whatever - I only hope he won't disappear. He's been a big inspiration for me.

How motivated he looks will depend on how high Sky can keep the Watts.
arvc40

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

11 Aug 2017 18:36

A beautifully written tribute (in French)

http://chroniqueduvelo.fr/dernier-bal-pistolero/
User avatar perico

11 Aug 2017 18:46

I could smell the beauty coming from google translate. Thanks for that.
User avatar Red Rick

11 Aug 2017 21:28

I'd really like to see him wearing 2 red jerseys a couple of weeks from now. It's a wishful thinking and it will hardly happen, but one can only hope. Going out with a bang.
User avatar lenric

11 Aug 2017 22:07

Father time is un-defeated. I think Alberto's consistency has let him down in the last 3 years and it's too much for him to overcome to win a grand tour. He mentioned a record time up a climb before the 2017 Tour, yet he looked like he was under-trained at the Dauphine, yet strong in the early season. Contador inspired me to mimic his actions because the video was incredible. It inspired me to ride up the steepest hills in my area, as fast as I can, just pretending I was him, looking over my shoulder and leaning hard to the left with every downstroke. I was alone on the hill but had one image in my mind to ride like Alberto.
contador922
Newly Registered Member

12 Aug 2017 02:08

He may have been strong in spring, but was he strong in absolute terms, of relatively speaking?
Because it's one thing to be as strong in the spring as in the Tour, but a completely different thing to be stronger than your competition in spring just because they are at a much lower level than they will be in the TDF.
User avatar lenric

12 Aug 2017 10:00

I love all this old father time stuff. Contador looks ok apart from when he faces top competition at the Tour when they all have the same agenda, which is to win and not just to prepare.

Something caught up with him but it was not old father time.

He consistently shows he can not handle the high intensity that Froome and Porte can. He just starts melting and that's because he does not have the Physiological ability they do.

That's not to say he cant win any given race, but he has bad days just like Porte and its usually on the first uphill battle.
arvc40

12 Aug 2017 12:06

You keep repeating that but it's just your opinion, not a fact.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Aug 2017 12:14

Contador was good on PdbF. I'm hanging on to that till the day the Vuelta goes uphill.
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

12 Aug 2017 12:29

Red Rick wrote:Contador was good on PdbF. I'm hanging on to that till the day the Vuelta goes uphill.

Didnt look particular good to me - he was largely saved by the tactical play in the flat section altho he recovered well.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

12 Aug 2017 12:42

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Contador was good on PdbF. I'm hanging on to that till the day the Vuelta goes uphill.

Didnt look particular good to me - he was largely saved by the tactical play in the flat section altho he recovered well.

Please, leave a man to his delusions, one last time.
User avatar Red Rick

12 Aug 2017 15:06

I have no hopes for la Vuelta. Although uni-climb stages should suit him the short steep finishes definitely will not and neither will the long flat TT.
I would be delighted if he could win a stage.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

12 Aug 2017 16:06

LaFlorecita wrote:You keep repeating that but it's just your opinion, not a fact.

Your right, its not a fact. I will have a look at some facts about each stage of Tour since 2011. See if I can come up with some excuses that will sit well with posters here.
arvc40

Re:

12 Aug 2017 16:48

LaFlorecita wrote:I have no hopes for la Vuelta. Although uni-climb stages should suit him the short steep finishes definitely will not and neither will the long flat TT.
I would be delighted if he could win a stage.

Flo, wouldn't you consider a podium finish realistic? He can't be worse than last year surely.
Climber123

12 Aug 2017 17:12

According to Koen de Kort, Contador's shape is fine head of the Vuelta. He was part of the CN podcast where they discussed Contador's impending retirement.
User avatar Red Rick

12 Aug 2017 18:01

:lol: not this game again. Where is the mysterious retired pro riding with Contador on climbs afar saying he's going "extremely well"?

Or was that Quintana. Can't keep track of the excuses.
hazaran

Re:

12 Aug 2017 18:26

hazaran wrote::lol: not this game again. Where is the mysterious retired pro riding with Contador on climbs afar saying he's going "extremely well"?

Or was that Quintana. Can't keep track of the excuses.

I've never heard of that
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Aug 2017 18:43

If you can't keep track, then please go ahead and stop bothering.

and FYI, I think you're referring to quote's about Quintana from before the Tour.
User avatar Red Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing