Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

11 Sep 2017 19:07

ALBERTO CONTADOR, the gift of rebellion
Always against current, the Madrilenian retires after a race full of triumphs and deeds based on its nonconformist character

http://www.abc.es/deportes/ciclismo/abci-vuelta-espana-contador-rebeldia-201709110822_noticia.html#ns_campaign=rrss&ns_mchannel=abc-es&ns_source=tw&ns_linkname=cm-deportes&ns_fee=0
Puccini

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

11 Sep 2017 19:21

perico wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
perico wrote:To be fair, Hernandez had his moments as a good helper. He wasn't always completely useless. He was pretty good with Astana and was about the only help he had in the 2014 Vuelta on the climbs.

Didn't he get a random top 10 on the Ancares?

Yeah. He was up there in both stage 16 and 20 with Sky doms until Froome/Purito attacks.

Now he will always be the undisputed most worthless in a TTT champion.

The Schleck brothers might give him some competition in that category :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re: Re:

11 Sep 2017 19:55

Carols wrote:
Dedelou wrote:Alberto thrilled me for ten years and all the way to his last race. I am grateful I was witness to his amazing career. I watched cycling for a very long time. I cheered lots of great up close along hundreds mountain stages in the past 60 years. Nobody enchanted me like he did when he climbed up those tough slopes, flying with style, dancing on the pedal off the saddle, determined to win. Humbled by losses, he remained always generous winner. I will miss his presence in the peloton. My love for cycling remains even as my heros seem to dwindle and i see them go one by one. I hope that in some way, Alberto's legacy will touch some young ones who might in the future remind us of his presence by embodying his spirit imitating his style. Good bye, then.. we are fortunate we saw him racing

I completely understand.

Pantani is the only one to engender the same level of enchantment and awe as the Great Alberto Contador.

There is a hole in my cycling life today, I know I will move on, but will Never Forget the Great One!

I certainly understand, I have been riding and following cycling for over 35 years, My favorite is Anquetil, Contador ( the great one) is a close second, I will miss him immensely. No one quite like him
casati

11 Sep 2017 20:02

Red Rick wrote:
perico wrote:To be fair, Hernandez had his moments as a good helper. He wasn't always completely useless. He was pretty good with Astana and was about the only help he had in the 2014 Vuelta on the climbs.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2013_Stage_20_Le_Semnoz
Puccini

11 Sep 2017 21:38

Stage 20 (Angliru) was the most followed Vuelta stage on TV in Spain in 15 years. #LV2017

According to twitter
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

11 Sep 2017 21:48

LaFlorecita wrote:Very nice gallery here with pics from yesterday's farewell
https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/09/10/album/1505073998_877951.amp.html
I especially like the sign saying "will trade my brother for your jersey" :D

Good page because of the tikkitakkas esp. the one with
.....didnt bother with the rest.
Las 10 Chicas Tikitakas más guapas de agosto

:P
Last edited by Zam_Olyas on 11 Sep 2017 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 21:48

Red Rick wrote:Stage 20 (Angliru) was the most followed Vuelta stage on TV in Spain in 15 years. #LV2017

According to twitter

#HYPE
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 21:51

Zam_Olyas wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Very nice gallery here with pics from yesterday's farewell
https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/09/10/album/1505073998_877951.amp.html
I especially like the sign saying "will trade my brother for your jersey" :D

Good page because of the tikkitakkas esp. the one with
Las 10 Chicas Tikitakas más guapas de agosto

:P

I knew you would appreciate it :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 21:51

Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Interesting comment from Unzue, apparently in 2010 Alberto had agreed to a contract with Movistar, but because the prolongation with Movistar as a sponsor was delayed, Alberto chose Saxo instead.

So many what ifs. However, how long would that have lasted?

Contador, Quintana and Valverde seems too much on one team, especially considering Movistar's budget isn't all that big. Also, that must've been before the positive came out.

Lol Valverde and Contador in the same team would have worked sooo well :rolleyes:
Last edited by No_Balls on 11 Sep 2017 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar No_Balls

11 Sep 2017 21:52

They need to bring back that climb in TdF, Rui Costa and Valverde demolished the field before the real ascent had even started! That was such a scary pace and Purito really went for it, beautiful stage.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

11 Sep 2017 22:47

Valv.Piti wrote:They need to bring back that climb in TdF, Rui Costa and Valverde demolished the field before the real ascent had even started! That was such a scary pace and Purito really went for it, beautiful stage.

A bit off topic but that result basically shows why people dislike the last two tours so much. Even though the gc wasn't always close the mountain stages were at least raced properly which led to results like only 4 riders within 2 minutes although attacks only happened on the last climb. I looked at the Izoard stage from this year for comparison and there you had 15 riders within 2 minutes.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 23:35

Gigs_98 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:They need to bring back that climb in TdF, Rui Costa and Valverde demolished the field before the real ascent had even started! That was such a scary pace and Purito really went for it, beautiful stage.

A bit off topic but that result basically shows why people dislike the last two tours so much. Even though the gc wasn't always close the mountain stages were at least raced properly which led to results like only 4 riders within 2 minutes although attacks only happened on the last climb. I looked at the Izoard stage from this year for comparison and there you had 15 riders within 2 minutes.

I don't think that climb is that special. What happened on those climbs is they started faster than they could do the whole climb. What happens is people either drop super early to ride their own pace, or they hang on until they blow up, and only a select few haven't been blown up by the time the last elite domestique lets go. Sky used to do this when Froome was the strongest. Now they do the reverse thing, ride a negative split (biggest effort at the end of a stage) which suits Froome best when he's not dominant, minimizes any chance of blowing up, keeps the train intact for super long, etc.

I think the super aggro approach does work best on easier starting parts of the climb, as that's the place where you can't really go ride your own pace as air resistance is still so important.

The whole kamikaze climb approach happened once this year. Quintana won, and only 5 riders finished within 2 minutes of him.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

12 Sep 2017 08:58

I agree the climb wasn't anything special, but every MTF was ridden that way in 2013 either by Sky or Movistar. Riding reverse splits like Sky has done recently is really something of the most boring racing imaginable - look how most part of the Angliru almost got neutralised. That has obviously also something to do with Nibali not having legs, Lopez already being dropped, Contador being up the road in the first place, but apart from Contador it was actually a pretty dreadful climb.

Still its a genuinely hard MTF, very comp able to Alpe d Huez, a little steeper and shorter.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

12 Sep 2017 09:24

Long time lurker here for many years, finally I have registrered. I got to see Alberto in the San Sebastian race in 2016 and he didn`t look relaxed at all. But to see him race in person was a big thing for me as I have been a fan since 2005. So happy that he got to go out in style with the beautiful victory on Angliru. But I would have liked one more season with giro vuelta double. Feel a little bit empty now and it`s a long time until the spring races. Thank you Alberto!
Serpentin

12 Sep 2017 10:20

casati wrote:
Carols wrote:
Dedelou wrote:Alberto thrilled me for ten years and all the way to his last race. I am grateful I was witness to his amazing career. I watched cycling for a very long time. I cheered lots of great up close along hundreds mountain stages in the past 60 years. Nobody enchanted me like he did when he climbed up those tough slopes, flying with style, dancing on the pedal off the saddle, determined to win. Humbled by losses, he remained always generous winner. I will miss his presence in the peloton. My love for cycling remains even as my heros seem to dwindle and i see them go one by one. I hope that in some way, Alberto's legacy will touch some young ones who might in the future remind us of his presence by embodying his spirit imitating his style. Good bye, then.. we are fortunate we saw him racing

I completely understand.

Pantani is the only one to engender the same level of enchantment and awe as the Great Alberto Contador.

There is a hole in my cycling life today, I know I will move on, but will Never Forget the Great One!

I certainly understand, I have been riding and following cycling for over 35 years, My favorite is Anquetil, Contador ( the great one) is a close second, I will miss him immensely. No one quite like him

Wasn't he the total opposite to the likes of Contador and Pantani? Any why would your favourite be someone you never saw cycle? Not being snarky, just curious.
Singer01

12 Sep 2017 14:13

"Today, Tuesday, September 12th at 19:30 PM the square of the constitution of the Ayuntamiento de Pinto will be the stage of tribute to Alberto Contador"

We should have some pictures tomorrow :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 19:36

User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 19:46

LaFlorecita wrote:https://twitter.com/Laura_Meseguer/status/907673504954376194
https://twitter.com/BorjaCuadrado/status/907667462975639553

User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 19:47

Puccini wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2013_Stage_20_Le_Semnoz
Almost every rider in that results list is still at around the same level as they were 4 years ago (apart from the retired riders obviously), and then there is Kreuziger. Feel sorry for him he pretty much never got near that level in a GT again
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do"
User avatar bob.a.feet

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing