Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

21 May 2017 09:25

Red Rick wrote:Contador beating Froome but not Valverde seems absurd that it seems plausible in todays world

Just yesterday I was thinking about it and it doesn't seem at all unlikely considering the form they've shown this year :o
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

21 May 2017 10:27

I really don't think Froomes performances this year so far mean anything. He is still the outstanding favorite, and the only thing that could change my opinion is a bad showing at the Dauphine. That said, I agree that the rest is completely unpredictable. Quintana is still not that unlikely to be the 2nd strongest rider, considering how great he was in last years Vuelta, Valverde could be in the shape of his life, but then again he just isn't made for 3 week long tours, and then there is Contador, the guy who hasn't really ridden and finished a gt in absolute top shape since 2011 (He probably wasn't at 100% in the giro 2015, since he had the goal to go for the double although tbf he was probably close to his top shape). He could be 2nd strongest, but I also wouldn't really be surprised if he is complete crap and gets beaten by all the riders I've mentioned + porte.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

21 May 2017 15:14

I believe we don't see the best froome, at least in the first and second week. I don't know how quintana will perform, but considerino the usual misfortune of Porte, i think alberto has a shot to win
User avatar Matteo.

Re:

21 May 2017 15:30

Matteo. wrote:I believe we don't see the best froome, at least in the first and second week. I don't know how quintana will perform, but considerino the usual misfortune of Porte, i think alberto has a shot to win

Without a doubt. He definitely has a chance to win, but he needs to be at the top of his game and have lady luck on his side, for once. On the other hand, as Gigs wrote, he could also finish besides the podium. It can go either way.
After Dauphiné, we can say a lot more. Even if he doesn't target the overall, we will probably still see him go all out against Froome and Porte in the TT and some mountain stage(s).
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

25 May 2017 05:56

Saw this photo again and can't stop noticing that Ivan Basso and Jude Law are twins. :D
User avatar lenric

25 May 2017 15:33

Nice shoutout to Berto by Flecha today after the stage, said the difference in attitude between him and Quintana is really obvious & that Berto would have probably attacked on the first climb and gone full gas, while Quintana prefers a more controlled approach. :)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

25 May 2017 15:44

LaFlorecita wrote:Nice shoutout to Berto by Flecha today after the stage, said the difference in attitude between him and Quintana is really obvious & that Berto would have probably attacked on the first climb and gone full gas, while Quintana prefers a more controlled approach. :)

The truth is the are on different levels: Alberto is finally better. We saw both at the same age, there's no comparision:p
User avatar Matteo.

Re:

25 May 2017 18:08

LaFlorecita wrote:Nice shoutout to Berto by Flecha today after the stage, said the difference in attitude between him and Quintana is really obvious & that Berto would have probably attacked on the first climb and gone full gas, while Quintana prefers a more controlled approach. :)

Lol, get over yourself. It had made somewhat sense if Quintana didn't try, but he actually did try on numerous occasions - he just wasn't strong enough.

Yes, sure, Contador would have attacked right from the bottom of Pordoi, Flecha.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

25 May 2017 18:16

Valv.Piti wrote:

Lol, get over yourself. It had made somewhat sense if Quintana didn't try, but he actually did try on numerous occasions - he just wasn't strong enough.

Yes, sure, Contador would have attacked right from the bottom of Pordoi, Flecha.

I'm even guessing he would manage to make his move stick and put at least a few minutes into the rest of the field.
Last edited by dacooley on 25 May 2017 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
dacooley

25 May 2017 18:16

Valv.Piti wrote:

I think he would have taken advantage of everybody having breakfast sneaking onto the course early!
Surprise winning move.
huge

25 May 2017 18:19

dacooley wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

I'm even guessing he would manage to make his move stick and put at least a few minutes into the rest of the field.

No, Contador would have blown the field to pieces, Quintana didn't try anything really, he didn't test Dumoulin and is happy with a podium. Contador's acceleration had prompted Dumoulin to respond, but quickly blow up and lose a bunch of time, but unfortunately Nibali and Quintana doesn't have that stuff in them. You know, the champions mentality. They are happy to sit where they do as evidenced by not taking any pulls in the finale!
Last edited by Valv.Piti on 25 May 2017 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

25 May 2017 18:19

Valv.Piti wrote:

At least he wouldn't have stopped after 3 minutes after Dumoulin bringing everyone back because his (Quintana's) domestiques were too slow.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

25 May 2017 18:34

How do you guys think Alberto would have done at the Giro?
Climber123

25 May 2017 19:28

Valv.Piti wrote:
dacooley wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

No, Contador would have blown the field to pieces, Quintana didn't try anything really, he didn't test Dumoulin and is happy with a podium. Contador's acceleration had prompted Dumoulin to respond, but quickly blow up and lose a bunch of time, but unfortunately Nibali and Quintana doesn't have that stuff in them. You know, the champions mentality. They are happy to sit where they do as evidenced by not taking any pulls in the finale!

Major Tom must be well equipped for you to be so butthurt now :lol:
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

25 May 2017 19:32

Climber123 wrote:How do you guys think Alberto would have done at the Giro?

Heavily depends on which teammates he gets with him, and which breakaways those teammates get into. Doesn't do anything on Etna, breaks himself trying to follow Quintana on Blockhaus, but still probably better than Nibbles, loses 1'30 in the TT, sits on either Quintana or Dumoulin on Oropa and doesn't lose too much. Bormio completely depends on what his team does, probably attacks on Umbrail anyway, and today, he'd probably react to Quintana and work with him over the Gardena, and then who knows.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

25 May 2017 19:45

Regarding the GC riders, he wouldn't be neither the best ITTer (where he won most of the time 2 years ago), nor the best climber.
I'd put him and Nibali on the same spot.
User avatar lenric

25 May 2017 19:48

Red Rick wrote:

Heavily depends on which teammates he gets with him, and which breakaways those teammates get into. Doesn't do anything on Etna, breaks himself trying to follow Quintana on Blockhaus, but still probably better than Nibbles, loses 1'30 in the TT, sits on either Quintana or Dumoulin on Oropa and doesn't lose too much. Bormio completely depends on what his team does, probably attacks on Umbrail anyway, and today, he'd probably react to Quintana and work with him over the Gardena, and then who knows.

Sounds about right but I suspect he would have performed similarly to G.Thomas losing around 45sec in the TT. Overall he probably would have been right up there but I guess we will never know... Still think it would have been a better option for him..
Climber123

25 May 2017 19:50

lenric wrote:

Regarding the GC riders, he wouldn't be neither the best ITTer (where he won most of the time 2 years ago), nor the best climber.
I'd put him and Nibali on the same spot.

Agree
Climber123

25 May 2017 20:01

Looking at his social media posts Berto seems to be happy and relaxed
New environment working wonders for him
I have high hopes for the TDF :)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

25 May 2017 20:04

LaFlorecita wrote:Looking at his social media posts Berto seems to be happy and relaxed
New environment working wonders for him
I have high hopes for the TDF :)

We must believe, he looked good in spring and this change in environment can only help him.
Climber123

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing