Log in:  

Register

Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 12:53

Singer01 wrote:
ppanther92 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
TheYouyou7 wrote:God. Already a PHAT ***

How much weight can you realistically gain in a week? 1 kg, 2kg tops?


7000 cal equal about 1 kilo. So if he was eating like a sumo ringer, also more would be possible :D
.


I went on holiday for a week and put on 7lb, and i wasn't an elite athlete trying to keep my weight down beforehand.
Favourite Contador stage, giro 11 Tiralongo gift stage. That for me showed the measure of the man.



Your weight can even fluctuate several pounds throughout the day.

Regardless, for the criterium, he'll be fine. I doubt he's digressed very much. :)
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,103
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

20 Sep 2017 13:23

Would Alberto not have done well in today's ITT WC race? He's climbing well and he was fifth in La Vuelta tt, this course has both.
elfed68
Member
 
Posts: 422
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:25

elfed68 wrote:Would Alberto not have done well in today's ITT WC race? He's climbing well and he was fifth in La Vuelta tt, this course has both.


IMO he certainly would have had a medal opportunity. It is short with a climb, the kind of TT he has always performed well at.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,810
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

20 Sep 2017 13:27

He also did that climb in the TdF TT in the fastest or one of the fastest times, today would have been a golden opportunity for him.
elfed68
Member
 
Posts: 422
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:29

elfed68 wrote:He also did that climb in the TdF TT in the fastest or one of the fastest times, today would have been a golden opportunity for him.


Yeah but he was ready to hang up the wheels. Going out with a win on the Anglirua cannot be topped :).
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,810
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:32

Carols wrote:
elfed68 wrote:He also did that climb in the TdF TT in the fastest or one of the fastest times, today would have been a golden opportunity for him.


Yeah but he was ready to hang up the wheels. Going out with a win on the Anglirua cannot be topped :).


Yeah, one can only dream.
elfed68
Member
 
Posts: 422
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 18:26

20 Sep 2017 13:39

I think Berto could have top-5'ed with a shot at a medal.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,181
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:40

LaFlorecita wrote:I think Berto could have top-5'ed with a shot at a medal.

Was thinking about that. Would've destroyed this in his prime
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,961
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

20 Sep 2017 13:40

best moment of Contador was for me Etna in de Giro. He was so immensely strong there
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 22,197
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:43

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:best moment of Contador was for me Etna in de Giro. He was so immensely strong there


That one ranks Right Up There for sure as does the entire 2011 Giro. I never tire of watching his Etna attack :).
Last edited by Carols on 20 Sep 2017 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,810
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:44

Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:I think Berto could have top-5'ed with a shot at a medal.

Was thinking about that. Would've destroyed this in his prime

He would have beaten everyone by 2 minutes in 2009 :lol:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,128
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 13:48

Gigs_98 wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:I think Berto could have top-5'ed with a shot at a medal.

Was thinking about that. Would've destroyed this in his prime

He would have beaten everyone by 2 minutes in 2009 :lol:

Everyone but Cancellara, who'd finish within 15s and complain about them moto's
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,961
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

20 Sep 2017 14:06

Even the Berto of 2017 would have won this in peak form. But yeah.
Pennino
Junior Member
 
Posts: 295
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands

Re:

20 Sep 2017 14:12

Pennino wrote:Even the Berto of 2017 would have won this in peak form. But yeah.

Small chance.
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,961
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 14:18

Red Rick wrote:
Pennino wrote:Even the Berto of 2017 would have won this in peak form. But yeah.

Small chance.


I mean, come on. Berto is still the number one single climb effort specialist in this world. But yeah you're probably right. Whoever would have participated, most likely he would've ended up second :lol: .
Pennino
Junior Member
 
Posts: 295
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 14:25

Pennino wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Pennino wrote:Even the Berto of 2017 would have won this in peak form. But yeah.

Small chance.


I mean, come on. Berto is still the number one single climb effort specialist in this world. But yeah you're probably right. Whoever would have participated, most likely he would've ended up second :lol: .

If the TT would start where the bike changes take place, I'd agree. On a short mountain time trial he is probably even better than Froome. But the point is, there are 30 kilometers of flat/rolling terrain before the final climb, and just look at how much time he lost to froome in the vuelta TT. No way he could close such a huge gap on a 4 kilometer climb.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,128
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 14:32

Gigs_98 wrote:
Pennino wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Pennino wrote:Even the Berto of 2017 would have won this in peak form. But yeah.

Small chance.


I mean, come on. Berto is still the number one single climb effort specialist in this world. But yeah you're probably right. Whoever would have participated, most likely he would've ended up second :lol: .

If the TT would start where the bike changes take place, I'd agree. On a short mountain time trial he is probably even better than Froome. But the point is, there are 30 kilometers of flat/rolling terrain before the final climb, and just look at how much time he lost to froome in the vuelta TT. No way he could close such a huge gap on a 4 kilometer climb.


The terrain before the climb is decidedly harder and shorter than the Vuelta TT.

But it's a one day TT. Not in Contador's favour
Kwibus wrote:So much questions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,961
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 14:55

LaFlorecita wrote:
Singer01 wrote:
ppanther92 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
TheYouyou7 wrote:God. Already a PHAT ***

How much weight can you realistically gain in a week? 1 kg, 2kg tops?


7000 cal equal about 1 kilo. So if he was eating like a sumo ringer, also more would be possible :D

On another note: his team looks good. I also like Gamper. He wore the Avenor leaders jersey for two stages this year. A good rolleur, kust can't climb, which of course seems a bit unfitting in a Contador team.


I went on holiday for a week and put on 7lb, and i wasn't an elite athlete trying to keep my weight down beforehand.

Then you must have overeaten by 3500 kcal every day! That's quite extreme. But I'm not judging :razz:


it isn't the eating that is the problem. 1 pint of non premium lager has 227 calories, it all adds up pretty quickly.
And Contador deserves a shed load of booze after the sacrifices professional cyclists make.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

Re:

20 Sep 2017 15:54

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:best moment of Contador was for me Etna in de Giro. He was so immensely strong there

The way he puts 250m into everyone and Scarponi grinds his way back up just for Bertie to go bang again and no one sees him again
Scarponi
Member
 
Posts: 1,324
Joined: 21 Apr 2015 08:56

20 Sep 2017 16:43

Except for Rujano. But seeing how small he is, I don't blame you for overlooking him :D
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,539
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests

Back to top