Register

The Official Moser is the new Moser Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Apr 2013 15:45

Ruudz0r wrote:Wasnt that Ratto at La Redoute?

I need to rewatch the race. Cassani said it was Moser so I believed him but I'm not sure.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

21 Apr 2013 16:15

SKSemtex wrote:Good example. :D. Let´s see how bad the Sagan´s 2011 season really was:

http://www.cycling-info.sk/magazin-cycling-info-sk-clanky/782

And that is exactly my point. Sagan had a bit of a bad period in the classics in 2011 (just like Moser now), but still had an awesome season. So can Moser have.
maltiv
Veteran

21 Apr 2013 16:28

maltiv wrote:And that is exactly my point. Sagan had a bit of a bad period in the classics in 2011 (just like Moser now), but still had an awesome season. So can Moser have.

I hope you right. Cannondale needs him a lot.
“Racing is licking your opponent’s plate clean before starting on your own…” - Tim Krabbé, The Rider
User avatar SKSemtex

21 Apr 2013 16:43

Pippo_San wrote:Today at LBL he was dropped on Colonster by a large group of at least 60 riders.

Oh boy. :(

Isn't Moreno Moser that Italian rider who never performed above 200kms anyways? Winning Strade Bianchi is very overrated tbh(expect it gives you nice photos), this year he has to peak with the big boys and he just misses the endurance. Let's wait for a few years to know if he'll fail altogether.
User avatar Pentacycle

21 Apr 2013 16:56

maltiv wrote:And that is exactly my point. Sagan had a bit of a bad period in the classics in 2011 (just like Moser now), but still had an awesome season. So can Moser have.

Sagan did not have a bad period, he simply was not good enough to win classics yet.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

21 Apr 2013 16:58

Pentacycle wrote:Isn't Moreno Moser that Italian rider who never performed above 200kms anyways? Winning Strade Bianchi is very overrated tbh(expect it gives you nice photos), this year he has to peak with the big boys and he just misses the endurance. Let's wait for a few years to know if he'll fail altogether.

Last Italian championship he got 3rd and it was like 250 kms.
Last year in the Worlds he was there 'til the Cauberg
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

21 Apr 2013 17:15

Eshnar wrote:Last Italian championship he got 3rd and it was like 250 kms.
Last year in the Worlds he was there 'til the Cauberg

EBH was 2nd in that WC indicating how tough a race that was, and Caruso(80th in LBL today) finished just behind him in that NC, which doesn't come near the level of even a semi classic. Moser DNF'ed Lombardia last year. What result suggested he could handle these kind of races? Imo nothing, it was just an assumption people made after Strade Bianche.
User avatar Pentacycle

21 Apr 2013 17:17

Pentacycle wrote:EBH was 2nd in that WC indicating how tough a race that was, and Caruso(80th in LBL today) finished just behind him in that NC, which doesn't come near the level of even a semi classic. Moser DNF'ed Lombardia last year. What result suggested he could handle these kind of races? Imo nothing, it was just an assumption people made after Strade Bianche.

I had no idea if he could handle a monument, but if he can't it certainly is not due to the length. More to the competition
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

21 Apr 2013 17:27

Eshnar wrote:I had no idea if he could handle a monument, but if he can't it certainly is not due to the length. More to the competition

I wouldn't say this has been the hardest LBL, all the opposite, especially considering how many riders were still there on the Colonster.

This is not looking good.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

21 Apr 2013 17:29

Pippo_San wrote:I wouldn't say this has been the hardest LBL, all the opposite, especially considering how many riders were still there on the Colonster.

This is not looking good.

I'm talking of him in shape. He definitely isn't, now.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

21 Apr 2013 17:33

I can't buy this is just a matter of fitness.

In his first race of the year (or was it the second? still...) he wins fending off the likes of Cancellara, who probably wasn't at 100% but still a terrible menace.

And then all of sudden he cannot find his form anymore? There must be some sort of explanation.
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San

21 Apr 2013 17:37

This could be good for him..expectations will be lower and the hype was starting to get ridiculous.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

21 Apr 2013 19:57

From his twitter...

"Oggi, per qualche minuto,ho risentito le sensazioni dei tempi migliori,che sembravano ormai dimenticate "

which is roughly

"Today, for some minutes, I had the same feelings, which seemed by now forgotten, as during my best moments,"

So he acknowledges there's really something wrong. Let's hope it's just a bad moment...we'll see what's gonna happen in Romandie!
User avatar Pippo_San

21 Apr 2013 22:28

Pentacycle wrote:Isn't Moreno Moser that Italian rider who never performed above 200kms anyways? Winning Strade Bianchi is very overrated tbh(expect it gives you nice photos), this year he has to peak with the big boys and he just misses the endurance. Let's wait for a few years to know if he'll fail altogether.

As explained before in this topic, it's not a matter of winning a monument. He hasn't done anything in any race after SB. Long, short, hilly, flat, mountain, monument, classic, stage race, it doesn't matter. He's done nothing.

I'm with pippo on this. Can't be just about shape.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

21 Apr 2013 22:40

SafeBet wrote:As explained before in this topic, it's not a matter of winning a monument. He hasn't done anything in any race after SB. Long, short, hilly, flat, mountain, monument, classic, stage race, it doesn't matter. He's done nothing.

I'm with pippo on this. Can't be just about shape.

Perhaps we should find out what he did after his 3rd place in the Coppi e Bartali TT? From then on it went downwards. Vertically, that is.
User avatar Pentacycle

21 Apr 2013 22:46

Pentacycle wrote:Perhaps we should find out what he did after his 3rd place in the Coppi e Bartali TT? From then on it went downwards. Vertically, that is.

even in coppi e bartali That TT was the only good result he had. in the previous stages he was lousy, dropped by 60 riders in a very poor field and a couple of those stages were tailor made for him on paper.

I don't know what's going on really.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

21 Apr 2013 22:49

SafeBet wrote:even in coppi e bartali That TT was the only good result he had. in the previous stages he was lousy, dropped by 60 riders in a very poor field and a couple of those stages were tailor made for him on paper.

I don't know what's going on really.

Neither does he apparently, from a recent interview.
We are trying to understand where we made a mistake so that we can learn from it in the next years.

But jeez, I really had hoped to do something already this year. Maybe it’s been my training. I don’t know. I think that good form is a delicate balance between recuperation and training. I’ll have to talk it over with Slongo.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

21 Apr 2013 23:52

Pentacycle wrote:Perhaps we should find out what he did after his 3rd place in the Coppi e Bartali TT?

Tenerife training camp. Although he did one in Feburary as well, and that didn't have a negative effect on his performance in Camaiore & Strade Bianche.
User avatar Geraint Too Fast

23 Apr 2013 18:51

It is nice to see him back in the game, beating some great names today. He really needs to show some results in Tour of Romandia.
“Racing is licking your opponent’s plate clean before starting on your own…” - Tim Krabbé, The Rider
User avatar SKSemtex

23 Apr 2013 19:02

SKSemtex wrote:It is nice to see him back in the game, beating some great names today. He really needs to show some results in Tour of Romandia.

He wasn't particularly impressive honestly. He's done better short ITTs in his life. Average result.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing