Register

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

19 Mar 2017 11:54

Keram wrote:"I'm satisfied. The result is important but so is putting on a show for the fans. " Peter Sagan. Thats why many love him as a rider. I think at Ronde there is situation this year like 2013. Two strong favourites. Peter is Cance this time and second is GVA. I dont think anybody can match Sagan at last Kwaremont - Paterberg combo. Only some attack like Kristoff- Terpstra can win. Would be grat if somebody from Bora can stay with Sagan to last Kwaremont.

True, but putting on a show is no excuse for not learning from mistakes and doing them over and over. Cause then it just looks stupid. The attack was a good show but starting to sprint early had nothing to do with pleasing the fans ...
User avatar Akuryo

Re: Re:

19 Mar 2017 12:40

Akuryo wrote:
Keram wrote:"I'm satisfied. The result is important but so is putting on a show for the fans. " Peter Sagan. Thats why many love him as a rider. I think at Ronde there is situation this year like 2013. Two strong favourites. Peter is Cance this time and second is GVA. I dont think anybody can match Sagan at last Kwaremont - Paterberg combo. Only some attack like Kristoff- Terpstra can win. Would be grat if somebody from Bora can stay with Sagan to last Kwaremont.

True, but putting on a show is no excuse for not learning from mistakes and doing them over and over. Cause then it just looks stupid. The attack was a good show but starting to sprint early had nothing to do with pleasing the fans ...
He started the sprint so early because he saw Kwito far behind and he felt for that trick.
As he said he has other objectives. MSR isn't as important as Roubaix for him this year. When he will take it then you'll see him at the top of the Podium in San Remo. But for now, let's just hope that his forme will continue like that for the next few years.
“Race is race. Was like was.”
User avatar sQiD

Re:

19 Mar 2017 15:12

Yeah, but who? Burghardt maybe the only one
Riposa in pace Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

19 Mar 2017 18:08

Nobody will stay with sagan till the last kwaremont, so no teammates needed. If he continues doing what he does, he will allready be in attack by then. Ano the few he would drag toekwaremont with himself he will drop there. The strange thing about this is, that its probably the safest way of racing for him. Certainly its less risky then waiting for everyone to attack him. The only one that could bring him back was cancellara. Only quicksteppers might be able to stop hi winning. If this happens though, it won´t be quickstepper winning the race.
User avatar tomorrow

19 Mar 2017 18:21

E PARTITTO PETER SAGAN, E PARTITTO PETER SAGAN... Gracié Peter !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QmobTkwWIA
User avatar sQiD

19 Mar 2017 19:21

Lol they thought it was Viviani following, how dumb are they, why are all cycling commentators semi retarded, seems like a requirement for the job
Gloin22

20 Mar 2017 19:34

I apologize if this has already been posted, I'm not a regular anymore so I miss most of the posts and don't have time to read to far back.

PS is in a similar situation to other top dogs, maybe the most recent being FC. Nobody will work with them in a break so they have two options: drive it, or sit up. If you drive it, you run the risk of what happened to PS this weekend. If you sit up, you force the others to decide to working or let the group back on. PS Made the decision to drive it which gave him a best case win, worst case third scenario. If he sat up, the scenario is best case win, worst case 53. I like that he drove it.
jmdirt

Re: Peter Sagan discussion thread.

20 Mar 2017 21:19

"Sagan’s race statistics are incredible but also revealing: he has ridden 558 races, won 92 races and finished on the podium 204 times. Saturday was his 78th second place of his career. Imagine if just a few of those had been victories. He really would be the Eddy Merckx of his time."

Those numbers are crazy. 204 podiums out of 558
User avatar SKSemtex

21 Mar 2017 22:39

I see Sagan's cq total is over 3400. Is that the highest since the website was founded?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

21 Mar 2017 22:58

The Hitch wrote:I see Sagan's cq total is over 3400. Is that the highest since the website was founded?

No - it was over 3500 before Tirreno where he obviously lost some points.

Whether that was a record, however, I don't know.
User avatar tobydawq

22 Mar 2017 09:27

At the time, Gilbert only managed 3498 points after the '11 worlds, but after the results were updated (Contador's results were stripped) he had 3510 points. After KBK (and until Strade) Sagan had 3512 points, so he has the record by 2 points. (don't you check twitter, Hitch?)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

25 Mar 2017 00:02

i think Peter will have a very hard time in the next races. other teams figured out how to beat him by attacking early with multiple riders especially QSF. with Cancellara gone, he's the number 1 target and nobody wants to work with him to chase back like Trek & Sky did tody.
Last edited by sQiD on 25 Mar 2017 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar sQiD

25 Mar 2017 02:12

Not if Vanmarcke & GVA cooperate with him and they will if they want to win.
IndianCyclist

Re:

25 Mar 2017 06:21

jmdirt wrote:I apologize if this has already been posted, I'm not a regular anymore so I miss most of the posts and don't have time to read to far back.

PS is in a similar situation to other top dogs, maybe the most recent being FC. Nobody will work with them in a break so they have two options: drive it, or sit up. If you drive it, you run the risk of what happened to PS this weekend. If you sit up, you force the others to decide to working or let the group back on. PS Made the decision to drive it which gave him a best case win, worst case third scenario. If he sat up, the scenario is best case win, worst case 53. I like that he drove it.

Major difference is that if Canc sat up, he'd lose a sprint to multiple riders instead of just 1 or 2. If Sagan sits up, he still has a decent chance of winning the sprint if it comes to it
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re:

25 Mar 2017 13:21

IndianCyclist wrote:Not if Vanmarcke & GVA cooperate with him and they will if they want to win.

GVA gapped Sagan yesterday and Vanmarcke might not be in good form though? I don't know what happened to Sagan ... he was in the attacking group, then got dropped from it? Or missed the attack from that group by GVA and company
spiritualride

25 Mar 2017 13:35

It happens just after Boonen's move is caught: https://youtu.be/EVbtzbalmCE?t=2966
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

25 Mar 2017 14:58

Really strange tactic by Bora and Sagan yesterday. He usually dont miss decisive split. I dont know if it is was on purpose yesterday but it seems to be. He was quite easily third behind Bonnen and Oss after Taienberg. I rewatched closely it today and he was on Gilbert wheel twenty second before Gilbert went. It was on purpose obviously let him go and sent teammate there. But I dont know why he wasnt go with Vanmarcke. I didnt see it on replay. About 64,4 km to go there was sharp corner where I timed it to 10 seconds between Gilbert group and peloton. Then Sagan went but Felline catch him with one QS guy so he gave up. It was close to Eikenberg. I dont know exactly how was gap at the foot of Eikenberg but it was about 15-20 seconds. Instead of trying to catch break Sagan followed wheels at the Eikenberg. There were so much better chance to catch the break for him than at the flat imo so I dont know why he wasnt even try. Maybe legs maybe he didnt want to. I spotted him at tenth place somewhere at the Eikenberg and he was ninth or tenth at the top of it. Eikenberg was decisive imo because gap doubled there. I timed it to 41 seconds at the top between Gilberts group and Sagans. Than Sagan closed the gap to Tony Martin at cobbles at 56km to go but they stooped and before Sagan crash it was already 1´11 to break so no chance to catch them anyway. Sagan gembled a bit yesterday and it blew up obviously. I know he cant follow every move but with GVA and Gilbert in front group he definitely should go..
Keram

Re:

25 Mar 2017 20:58

Thank you Keram.. posts like yours keep me coming to this forum. Great observations

Netserk wrote:It happens just after Boonen's move is caught: https://youtu.be/EVbtzbalmCE?t=2966

wow, thank you. Dumb question but why did Sagan let him go?
spiritualride

25 Mar 2017 21:44

The gap at the foot of Eikenberg was around 30 seconds already I think, so not really an option anymore to bridge alone. Seems to me the race was just lost the moment GVA went and connected with Phil and Ollie. Yeah, Vanmarcke and Durbridge did manage to bridge later, but if Sagan went with them, they would likely have sat up and looked at him to close the gap. And probably some Steppers on his wheel too.
User avatar Flamin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing