Register

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

16 Sep 2018 18:58

roundabout wrote:Nothing to do with Valverde wanting it. With the route as bad as it was, Sagan would have had to win about 5 stages to have a chance even with 4 MTFs going to breaks and Valverde running out of gas on 2 stages and doing a mediocre ITT

Edit: not 5, 3.

This is a fairly typical Vuelta route and a typical
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

16 Sep 2018 18:59

Koronin wrote:
Keram wrote:Four second places at Vuelta and second place at points competition as well. Kinda bitter Vuelta for Sagan. Also first time since 2015 he will finish season with more seconds than wins. Not bad year obviously with PR, GW and three Tour stages :) Also first time since 2011 Sagan actually finished Grand Tour and not won points jersey.

I assume he will race TTT at worlds and RR. I would also like see him at Il Lombardia he has as much chance as win the worlds though. None. This is somehow end of 2018 season for Sagan.

Well he is less likely to win the green at the Vuelta IF you have a GC rider like Valverde who actually wants it. Can Sagan win the Vuelta green jersey, yes, just unlikely while Valverde is racing and wanting it.

You have an interesting thought, which I agree with. If Sagan is going to the Worlds he may as well race Lombardia while he's there.

Yes it is tough to win green with rider like Valverde in contention with this route and this system. Especially when Sagan was way bellow his form first week.

As for Lombardia I dont think he has some real chance but it seems lot easier than worlds this year and he could extend his season especially because organisers had to soften finale a bit. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/threat-of-landslides-sparks-change-to-finale-of-il-lombardia/.
Keram

16 Sep 2018 19:01

Keram wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Keram wrote:Four second places at Vuelta and second place at points competition as well. Kinda bitter Vuelta for Sagan. Also first time since 2015 he will finish season with more seconds than wins. Not bad year obviously with PR, GW and three Tour stages :) Also first time since 2011 Sagan actually finished Grand Tour and not won points jersey.

I assume he will race TTT at worlds and RR. I would also like see him at Il Lombardia he has as much chance as win the worlds though. None. This is somehow end of 2018 season for Sagan.

Well he is less likely to win the green at the Vuelta IF you have a GC rider like Valverde who actually wants it. Can Sagan win the Vuelta green jersey, yes, just unlikely while Valverde is racing and wanting it.

You have an interesting thought, which I agree with. If Sagan is going to the Worlds he may as well race Lombardia while he's there.

Yes it is tough to win green with rider like Valverde in contention with this route and this system. Especially when Sagan was way bellow his form first week.

As for Lombardia I dont think he has some real chance but it seems lot easier than worlds this year and he could extend his season especially because organisers had to soften finale a bit. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/threat-of-landslides-sparks-change-to-finale-of-il-lombardia/.

I think Sagan would have a real shot at the green at la Vuelta even with their typical route like this year's if Valverde isn't there.

I don't think he can win Lombardia either, but if he's going to the Worlds he may as well stick around Italy a bit longer and try it.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

16 Sep 2018 19:23

Flamin wrote:Bit of a meh Vuelta from Sagan. I don't think he even tried once to be in the break or test himself uphill by hanging on as long as possible.

+1
And he also never really helped anyone else in the team (Buchmann, Majka or Formolo). Disappointing Vuelta in his behavior :(
Beobachter

Re:

16 Sep 2018 19:26

Keram wrote:

He could (should maybe even) try Lombardia, depends on whether he feels. If he's just too tired from his season, it would be pointless to race in Lombardia.

He is not supposed to race the Worlds TTT. I they didn't change their plans, Bora's team will be: Pöstlberger-Grossschartner-Konrad-Mühlberger-Oss-Bodnar.
Beobachter

Re:

16 Sep 2018 19:26

roundabout wrote:Nothing to do with Valverde wanting it. With the route as bad as it was, Sagan would have had to win about 5 stages to have a chance even with 4 MTFs going to breaks and Valverde running out of gas on 2 stages and doing a mediocre ITT

Not a bad route, just a typical Vuelta route where a lot of finishes are GC relevent, so GC riders have to be involved. Same as happened last year with Froome winning the points jersey despite Trentin winning 4 stages.

The point about Sagan not helping Buchmann or Majka much, or getting in breaks ever, is a very good one, though. If he's serious about the Worlds, you'd think he'd try for a couple of breakaways here and there.
Leinster

Re:

17 Sep 2018 06:06

Flamin wrote:Bit of a meh Vuelta from Sagan. I don't think he even tried once to be in the break or test himself uphill by hanging on as long as possible.

This. I did not see any testing here or pushing something extra uphill at least once. Not a good news before WCRR.
I do not know this type of Sagan.
I still can dream this is only the tactics before the WCRR not to be among the most marked men there. However, I am afraid his season is over now.
User avatar SKSemtex

17 Sep 2018 06:52

He won't be staying in region after Worlds as is doing a book signing in London on 4th October. That's not to say he couldn't go to Italy after... Wouldn't think he'd have much of a chance but if he's feeling good might give it a chance to try and end season on a high. Re helping others, think he was riding most of Vuelta in much more pain than he was willing to show and could have been team orders to save himself in the hope of a sprint win.
sprints n stones

17 Sep 2018 07:22

SKSemtex wrote:

This. I did not see any testing here or pushing something extra uphill at least once. Not a good news before WCRR.
I do not know this type of Sagan.
I still can dream this is only the tactics before the WCRR not to be among the most marked men there. However, I am afraid his season is over now.

Yeah, very non-typical Sagan.
But then, it's non-typical for him to be hurting after a really bad fall.
+ I assume the divorce stuff does not help him either

I have no expectations regarding the result in Innsbruck, but hope he will at least entertain/be visible.
DonEsteban

Re:

17 Sep 2018 09:16

Agree. And I didn't get the impression Valverde particularly wanted it, it just came along, the route is like that.
User avatar Blanco

28 Sep 2018 21:06

Sagan confirmed for Bora through 2021.

The Giro is on the cards next year, and they also mentioned Liege and Lombardia as future goals. Interesting.
User avatar tobydawq

28 Sep 2018 21:28

Better win Sanremo first
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

28 Sep 2018 22:00

tobydawq wrote:Sagan confirmed for Bora through 2021.

The Giro is on the cards next year, and they also mentioned Liege and Lombardia as future goals. Interesting.

For GC?

IT BEGINS!!!!

Also, the ToC organizers will be distraught. Having Sagan there has been their raison d’etre for a few seasons now.
Leinster

29 Sep 2018 03:27

He needs to try to win Milan-San Remo before he tries LBL or Lombardia. Also the Giro for GC? He has yet to be able to climb with the climbers.
User avatar Koronin

29 Sep 2018 04:14

He's obviously not riding the Giro for GC.

I do like the top riders to mix up their schedule a bit every now and then.
User avatar Squire

Re:

29 Sep 2018 05:01

Koronin wrote:He needs to try to win Milan-San Remo before he tries LBL or Lombardia. Also the Giro for GC? He has yet to be able to climb with the climbers.

You think he hasn’t been trying to win MSR with 2 2nd places and 6 top 10s in the last 7 years? I think you mean he has to actually win it, maybe? I don’t think working on his climbing will hurt his chances, especially given the winners of the last two editions.

There’s no doubt he can win any race on the one-day calendar if he sets his mind to it. I think a Ciclamino Jersey to complete the GT set would be another obvious target.
Leinster

29 Sep 2018 05:05

Leinster wrote:
Koronin wrote:He needs to try to win Milan-San Remo before he tries LBL or Lombardia. Also the Giro for GC? He has yet to be able to climb with the climbers.

You think he hasn’t been trying to win MSR with 2 2nd places and 6 top 10s in the last 7 years? I think you mean he has to actually win it, maybe? I don’t think working on his climbing will hurt his chances, especially given the winners of the last two editions.

There’s no doubt he can win any race on the one-day calendar if he sets his mind to it. I think a Ciclamino Jersey to complete the GT set would be another obvious target.

Ok you're right, he has been trying to win it. Yeah he needs to win it first before really going after LBL and Lombardi. Although Lombardi might be the better option as levels of riders are much more varied at the end of the year while there is a group that is peaking for the Ardennes.

I also think he may want to win Strade Bianche first as it's more of a mix between the less hilly classics and the more hilly classis even though it's not a classic or a monument.

He could definitely get the points jersey at the Giro.
User avatar Koronin

29 Sep 2018 05:13

He will not ride Giro for GC obviously :lol: I dont know how you get it from that press conference. It will be interesting how he will handle classics than Giro and Tour. Also interesting things about Lombardia and LBL. I think they are thinking about strive for five. I agree with MSR first. Also I really hope they wont screw up his sprinting. I dont want 2014 anymore. :mad:
Keram

29 Sep 2018 05:29

Again, I don’t think winning LBL or Lombardia would in any way hurt his chances of winning MSR or Strade Bianche. Last year, he finished 2nd in San Remo to Kwiatkowski, who has won SB twice, Amstel once, and been on the podium in Liege. Of the 8 winners of MSR since Sagan’s been riding it, 5 of them have, between them, won all 4 other monuments and the Worlds. San Remo isn’t for the Petacchis and Cipollinis and Cavs any more, the Cipressa and Poggio are just raced too hard.
Leinster

Re:

29 Sep 2018 07:02

Koronin wrote:He needs to try to win Milan-San Remo before he tries LBL or Lombardia.

Nibali did it this year. :p
User avatar Alexandre B.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing