Register

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

14 Apr 2018 18:34

El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.

Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...
User avatar Jancouver

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 18:39

Jancouver wrote:

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.

Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).
User avatar tobydawq

14 Apr 2018 18:52

Jancouver wrote:

Yes they do. Watch Il Lombardia from the past few years. There have been many cases where riders targeted minor placings rather than the win. I don't think Sagan is the type of rider who cares for it, though.
Durden93

14 Apr 2018 18:54

tobydawq wrote:
Jancouver wrote:

Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).

Except for Valverde who is very proud of his 4 WT points title. (Well two under the old Pro Tour and 2 under the current World Tour). He actually does chase it, hence the reason some riders have made comments in the past about the fact that he points hunts at different times.

Now it wouldn't shock me if Sagan doesn't care that much.
User avatar Koronin

14 Apr 2018 19:12

Sagan did care two years ago when he won it. Van Avermaet cared very much last year when he won it. And Valverde is often chasing it.
User avatar tobydawq

14 Apr 2018 19:56

tobydawq wrote:
Jancouver wrote:

Used to be when the teams/riders needed the points for the WT license. Now there’s no competition for the license so maybe the top two guys care a little but IMO Sagan doesn’t give a damn.
User avatar Jancouver

14 Apr 2018 23:48

Durden93 wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Jancouver wrote:What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.

I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.
Leinster

15 Apr 2018 00:15

Leinster wrote:
Durden93 wrote:
Leinster wrote:

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.

I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.

I think he needs to be closer to 10kg lighter to contest LBL.
User avatar Koronin

15 Apr 2018 01:19

Koronin wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Durden93 wrote:
Leinster wrote:

Matthews was fourth last year, Sagan is better than Matthews in just about everything. With how passive LBL is ridden nowadays Sagan would win 7 times in a row.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re: Peter Sagan discussion thread.

15 Apr 2018 03:04

Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.
User avatar SKSemtex

15 Apr 2018 04:16

El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Leinster wrote:

Matthews was fourth last year, Sagan is better than Matthews in just about everything. With how passive LBL is ridden nowadays Sagan would win 7 times in a row.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar Koronin

15 Apr 2018 08:36

SKSemtex wrote:Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.

Was that a Slovak TV interview? Otherwise, could you post a link, since I can't find it anywhere?
User avatar tobydawq

15 Apr 2018 08:58

Jancouver wrote:

unless they win it of course :lol:
rick james

15 Apr 2018 09:10

tobydawq wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.

Was that a Slovak TV interview? Otherwise, could you post a link, since I can't find it anywhere?

Would love to see that too.
User avatar krakenKE

15 Apr 2018 12:38

krakenKE wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

Would love to see that too.

Its from yesterdays press conference, talking about it around 9 minute mark
https://www.facebook.com/Borahansgroheofficial/videos/1844589698938535/
User avatar Dr. Watson

15 Apr 2018 12:51

Koronin wrote:

Sagan has beaten Valverde plenty of times in uphill sprints at the Tour.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

15 Apr 2018 13:31

El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:

When, other than Cherbourg 2016 and Seraing 2012?
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

15 Apr 2018 13:41

hrotha wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:

When, other than Cherbourg 2016 and Seraing 2012?

Rodez in 2015 (Greg won, but Sagan was second).
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

15 Apr 2018 15:18

no reason to go on holiday yet
User avatar Billie

Re:

15 Apr 2018 15:21

Billie wrote:no reason to go on holiday yet

Yes, there is. It's called Tour of California.
User avatar Screecher

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing