Log in:  

Register

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

14 Apr 2018 18:34

El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.


Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...
User avatar Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,528
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 18:39

Jancouver wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.


Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...


Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,180
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 18:52

Jancouver wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.


Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...


Yes they do. Watch Il Lombardia from the past few years. There have been many cases where riders targeted minor placings rather than the win. I don't think Sagan is the type of rider who cares for it, though.
Durden93
Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 06 Sep 2016 19:16

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 18:54

tobydawq wrote:
Jancouver wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.


Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...


Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).



Except for Valverde who is very proud of his 4 WT points title. (Well two under the old Pro Tour and 2 under the current World Tour). He actually does chase it, hence the reason some riders have made comments in the past about the fact that he points hunts at different times.

Now it wouldn't shock me if Sagan doesn't care that much.
User avatar Koronin
Member
 
Posts: 1,478
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

14 Apr 2018 19:12

Sagan did care two years ago when he won it. Van Avermaet cared very much last year when he won it. And Valverde is often chasing it.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,180
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 19:56

tobydawq wrote:
Jancouver wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.


Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...


Except that the riders do when they are in contention in the latter part of the season (not enough to go the Guangxi race, granted).


Used to be when the teams/riders needed the points for the WT license. Now there’s no competition for the license so maybe the top two guys care a little but IMO Sagan doesn’t give a damn.
User avatar Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,528
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 23:48

Durden93 wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Jancouver wrote:What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.


I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 535
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 00:15

Leinster wrote:
Durden93 wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Jancouver wrote:What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.


I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.

I think he needs to be closer to 10kg lighter to contest LBL.
User avatar Koronin
Member
 
Posts: 1,478
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 01:19

Koronin wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Durden93 wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Jancouver wrote:What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.


I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.

I think he needs to be closer to 10kg lighter to contest LBL.


Matthews was fourth last year, Sagan is better than Matthews in just about everything. With how passive LBL is ridden nowadays Sagan would win 7 times in a row.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,160
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

Re: Peter Sagan discussion thread.

15 Apr 2018 03:04

Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.
User avatar SKSemtex
Member
 
Posts: 1,951
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:01

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 04:16

El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Leinster wrote:
Jancouver wrote:What are the chances of Sagan riding Liege next week?

IMO he should do Liege just to see and learn (while supporting his team) if he can be competitive and target this race one day.

Now that he’s won pretty much all there is to win in the 75kg+ weight division, it’d be great to see him try for some of the lumpier races. I still believe there isn’t a race on the calendar that he can’t win, if he has the focus and drive to go for it.


I really doubt Sagan would be able to beat Valverde and Alaphilippe with so much racing in his legs. Maybe if he peaked for it he could but I doubt it.

I guess I was thinking more future years than this year. I don’t think there’s any way Sagan can win Liege 2018, but if he’s 2-3kg lighter this time next year...

It’d be interesting to see him at least try LBL next week to see how far he’d get, but I can’t see him fitting it into the schedule.

I think he needs to be closer to 10kg lighter to contest LBL.


Matthews was fourth last year, Sagan is better than Matthews in just about everything. With how passive LBL is ridden nowadays Sagan would win 7 times in a row.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar Koronin
Member
 
Posts: 1,478
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Peter Sagan discussion thread.

15 Apr 2018 08:36

SKSemtex wrote:Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.


Was that a Slovak TV interview? Otherwise, could you post a link, since I can't find it anywhere?
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,180
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 08:58

Jancouver wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:This is the Sagan thread...

Sagan is riding AGR because he wants to win that race, not because he wants to win the WT.


Exactly! Nobody cares about some WT ranking ...

unless they win it of course :lol:
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,820
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Peter Sagan discussion thread.

15 Apr 2018 09:10

tobydawq wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.


Was that a Slovak TV interview? Otherwise, could you post a link, since I can't find it anywhere?


Would love to see that too.
User avatar krakenKE
New Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 25 Feb 2018 09:48
Location: Slovakia

Re: Peter Sagan discussion thread.

15 Apr 2018 12:38

krakenKE wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:Well, according yesterday interwiew, no LBL in near future. His heart beats for RVV and PR.


Was that a Slovak TV interview? Otherwise, could you post a link, since I can't find it anywhere?


Would love to see that too.


Its from yesterdays press conference, talking about it around 9 minute mark
https://www.facebook.com/Borahansgroheofficial/videos/1844589698938535/
User avatar Dr. Watson
Junior Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 12 Apr 2017 15:04

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 12:51

Koronin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:


Sagan has beaten Valverde plenty of times in uphill sprints at the Tour.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,160
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 13:31

El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:


Sagan has beaten Valverde plenty of times in uphill sprints at the Tour.

When, other than Cherbourg 2016 and Seraing 2012?
User avatar hrotha
Veteran
 
Posts: 15,606
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

Re: Re:

15 Apr 2018 13:41

hrotha wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:
Koronin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:


Sagan has beaten Valverde plenty of times in uphill sprints at the Tour.

When, other than Cherbourg 2016 and Seraing 2012?


Rodez in 2015 (Greg won, but Sagan was second).
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,160
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

15 Apr 2018 15:18

no reason to go on holiday yet
User avatar Billie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,245
Joined: 24 Jun 2013 14:09

Re:

15 Apr 2018 15:21

Billie wrote:no reason to go on holiday yet

Yes, there is. It's called Tour of California.
User avatar Screecher
Junior Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 26 Mar 2017 14:45

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Akuryo, AnatoleNovak, dacooley, DNP-Old, Google [Bot], jaylew, Koronin, Leinster, pink_jersey, roundabout, Valv.Piti, wansteadimp and 62 guests

Back to top