Register

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

26 Jul 2018 14:36

King Boonen wrote:He can sit in a coast to Paris now pretty much. Would be the sensible option then try for the Champs.

if his hip muscles are hit, will be quite difficult to sprint (successfully) ... let's see ...

today he should be ok ... tomorrow at worst he may join Démare in the back (not sure the latter would like company though, when doing his usual mountain magic thing)
loge1884

Re: Re:

26 Jul 2018 14:47

loge1884 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:He can sit in a coast to Paris now pretty much. Would be the sensible option then try for the Champs.

if his hip muscles are hit, will be quite difficult to sprint (successfully) ... let's see ...

today he should be ok ... tomorrow at worst he may join Démare in the back (not sure the latter would like company though, when doing his usual mountain magic thing)

No way. Sagan can't go into the Aubisque with Demare, he will be destroyed and finish 20 minutes outside the time limit. He has to be on top of the Borderes when Demare hits the climb, that's his only chance I fear :(
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

26 Jul 2018 18:38

It just sucks that he crashed, otherwise it would have been five stage victories most likely.

But with a top 10 in Paris he can still beat his personal record of 11 stage top 10's (which he has gotten three times).
User avatar tobydawq

27 Jul 2018 18:00

Well done today - the Green is his, will he compete in Paris?
del1962
Veteran

Re:

27 Jul 2018 18:03

del1962 wrote:Well done today - the Green is his, will he compete in Paris?

Of course he will, he even did yesterday. Don't expect much, top 10 is however likely.
User avatar Screecher

27 Jul 2018 18:16

It was painful to watch him ride today. An amazing result just to finish within the time cut.
yetiyeti

Re:

27 Jul 2018 18:25

yetiyeti wrote:It was painful to watch him ride today. An amazing result just to finish within the time cut.

I wonder if today, all the grupetto wasn't waiting for him out of respect. I bet even Demare wouldn't want to win green like this.
User avatar tomorrow

27 Jul 2018 18:27

tomorrow wrote:
yetiyeti wrote:It was painful to watch him ride today. An amazing result just to finish within the time cut.

I wonder if today, all the grupetto wasn't waiting for him out of respect. I bet even Demare wouldn't want to win green like this.

Sounds like there's always a fair bit of support from other guys in the grupetto, especially for the guys who are injured. Green would be a joke if Sagan couldn't finish - even Demare knows that.
yetiyeti

Re:

27 Jul 2018 22:58

It was even difficult for him to walk up the steps after the stage. Tough guy!
jmdirt

28 Jul 2018 01:52

That is really good he could finish. I wonder if he beats Zavel's green jersey record if he would try the Giro and Vuelta to complete the jerseys or continue to do the Tour.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Re:

28 Jul 2018 02:18

SHAD0W93 wrote:That is really good he could finish. I wonder if he beats Zavel's green jersey record if he would try the Giro and Vuelta to complete the jerseys or continue to do the Tour.

Vuelta could be harder due to the mountains and lack of sprint stages. Hence the reason Valverde has won 3 of them at the Vuelta and has that as one of those strange goals of his to get one more to tie the Vuelta record and two more to break that record.
User avatar Koronin

28 Jul 2018 04:06

Koronin wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:That is really good he could finish. I wonder if he beats Zavel's green jersey record if he would try the Giro and Vuelta to complete the jerseys or continue to do the Tour.

Vuelta could be harder due to the mountains and lack of sprint stages. Hence the reason Valverde has won 3 of them at the Vuelta and has that as one of those strange goals of his to get one more to tie the Vuelta record and two more to break that record.

Yea but there hasn't been a sprinter that can get as many points as Sagan can. Maybe I am overestimating his ability to get points.
User avatar SHAD0W93

28 Jul 2018 04:31

SHAD0W93 wrote:
Koronin wrote:

Yea but there hasn't been a sprinter that can get as many points as Sagan can. Maybe I am overestimating his ability to get points.

He might be able to. It'd just be a different set of riders and specifically one rider he'd be fighting for that jersey with. Which well could make it interesting as they are the two most versatile riders in the peloton.
User avatar Koronin

28 Jul 2018 10:56

Vuelta also has similar points on all stages. Winning mountain stage at Angliru is as valuable as winning the final parade in Madrid.
User avatar Finn84

28 Jul 2018 21:24

I only saw a few minutes of tv coverage of him in ITT. Obviously by his time he took it very easily but the bit I saw he did look much more comfortable on his bike. Anyone see any more coverage or any idea of how likely it is he will be able to be competitive in tomorrow's sprint?
sprints n stones

29 Jul 2018 05:11

Vuelta should set up so Sagan has good chance of points jersey to attract hjim to attempt it
del1962
Veteran

Re:

29 Jul 2018 09:22

Finn84 wrote:Vuelta also has similar points on all stages. Winning mountain stage at Angliru is as valuable as winning the final parade in Madrid.

Yeah, this point system really favour climbers, i remember back then when was used at the Giro there were battles between Evans and Vino, Contador and Scarponi and Purito was able to beat Cavendish. The only way a sprinter had to win was a total dominance in the sprints like Cipollini '02 or Petacchi '04/'05.
Nirvana

03 Aug 2018 07:57

Just watched a few clips of AskSagan and I gotta admit its horrible. We all know he is a pretty bad interview, but the guy just is fooling around and giving short or non-answers. I have never heard him go in-depth with anything. He should be thankfull he has an immense talent....
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

03 Aug 2018 08:40

Valv.Piti wrote:Just watched a few clips of AskSagan and I gotta admit its horrible. We all know he is a pretty bad interview, but the guy just is fooling around and giving short or non-answers. I have never heard him go in-depth with anything. He should be thankfull he has an immense talent....

Probably PR training after his questionable actions earlier in his career.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

03 Aug 2018 09:38

Valv.Piti wrote:Just watched a few clips of AskSagan and I gotta admit its horrible. We all know he is a pretty bad interview, but the guy just is fooling around and giving short or non-answers. I have never heard him go in-depth with anything. He should be thankfull he has an immense talent....

It's mainly the format that's bad. In his interviews with Sporza during the TdF he's often not just a clown.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing