Register

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Rui Costa Discussion Thread

07 Jan 2018 10:01

42x16ss wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
drebelo wrote:Let's not forget that there is a guy named Diego Ulissi that will want to make a good impression in the ardennes classics too. Ulissi and Costa didn't work really well together so I'm curious to see what they will do with Martin in their team. I have a feeling that yet again it will be any man for itself. Let see If the UAE staff can put some sense in their heads cause they have an amazing team in their hands if they work together

I don’t think that there will necessarily be that much conflict at the Ardennes: Martin doesn’t care about Amstel, while he’s clearly the only one with a chance at Flèche, which is just about pure strength. The only race where they might get in each other’s way is LBL. And even at Liege there are ways for Costa and/or Ulissi to ride for themselves while also helping Martin, ie by attacking before Ans. Then again, this being the ex-Lampre, we could easily see Costa and Ulissi hanging around to the end and still not helping. Management need to be very clear that if Costa or Ulissi want their own chance they have to attack on one of the earlier climbs and if they don’t, they work.

I think there’s more likelihood of problems in the GTs. Neither Aru nor Martin are going to be keen on the teams they are leading using a rider slot to bring a strong climber who won’t do dom work.

That can be solved by sending one to the Giro with the intent of winning, while the other does the TDF

I was talking about Ulissi and Costa. I like both of the, but nobody is going to send either to the Giro to win it.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Rui Costa Discussion Thread

07 Jan 2018 10:25

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
drebelo wrote:Let's not forget that there is a guy named Diego Ulissi that will want to make a good impression in the ardennes classics too. Ulissi and Costa didn't work really well together so I'm curious to see what they will do with Martin in their team. I have a feeling that yet again it will be any man for itself. Let see If the UAE staff can put some sense in their heads cause they have an amazing team in their hands if they work together

I don’t think that there will necessarily be that much conflict at the Ardennes: Martin doesn’t care about Amstel, while he’s clearly the only one with a chance at Flèche, which is just about pure strength. The only race where they might get in each other’s way is LBL. And even at Liege there are ways for Costa and/or Ulissi to ride for themselves while also helping Martin, ie by attacking before Ans. Then again, this being the ex-Lampre, we could easily see Costa and Ulissi hanging around to the end and still not helping. Management need to be very clear that if Costa or Ulissi want their own chance they have to attack on one of the earlier climbs and if they don’t, they work.

I think there’s more likelihood of problems in the GTs. Neither Aru nor Martin are going to be keen on the teams they are leading using a rider slot to bring a strong climber who won’t do dom work.

That can be solved by sending one to the Giro with the intent of winning, while the other does the TDF

I was talking about Ulissi and Costa. I like both of the, but nobody is going to send either to the Giro to win it.

That is a trickier proposition. Again, UAE would probably have to split them up too. Maybe Ulissi stage hunting at the Giro and Costa as super domestique at the TDF. The Ardennes could be another story
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

07 Jan 2018 13:42

I don’t think, with the best will in the world, Dan Martin is going to win the Tour either. So it might make sense to tell Costa “get in the break every day in the mountains. Help Dan if/when his group catches you. If they don’t catch you, start pushing for the stage win.”
Leinster

Re:

07 Jan 2018 17:07

Leinster wrote:I don’t think, with the best will in the world, Dan Martin is going to win the Tour either. So it might make sense to tell Costa “get in the break every day in the mountains. Help Dan if/when his group catches you. If they don’t catch you, start pushing for the stage win.”

That might be what happens, but the Tour squad will only have eight riders. Six after Martin and Kristoff. There’s relatively little room for carrying other riders with their own goals in a dual focus team, so it will be interesting to see if Costa makes himself useful for someone else.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

08 Jan 2018 00:12

Leinster wrote:I don’t think, with the best will in the world, Dan Martin is going to win the Tour either. So it might make sense to tell Costa “get in the break every day in the mountains. Help Dan if/when his group catches you. If they don’t catch you, start pushing for the stage win.”

Dan Martin believes he can podium at the Tour and so do I

A podium at the Tour is worth alot to a team...all the publicity...much better than Costa can deliver ....so with all the best will in the world Costa, if he is at the Tour just like the Ardennes, needs to ride for Dan Martin

I dont see why what Costa gets up to is so important when Dan Matin is a genune contender ...and it hasbeen years since Costa has won a stage..>Seems to me the priorites are all wromg...Dan Martin needs to be supported by a rider who is past his best and was never a GT contender ...simples
HelloDolly

Re: Re:

08 Jan 2018 09:27

HelloDolly wrote:

Dan Martin believes he can podium at the Tour and so do I

A podium at the Tour is worth alot to a team...all the publicity...much better than Costa can deliver ....so with all the best will in the world Costa, if he is at the Tour just like the Ardennes, needs to ride for Dan Martin

I dont see why what Costa gets up to is so important when Dan Matin is a genune contender ...and it hasbeen years since Costa has won a stage..>Seems to me the priorites are all wromg...Dan Martin needs to be supported by a rider who is past his best and was never a GT contender ...simples

At the Tour yes, no doubt. In the Ardennes I don't think so...
User avatar Blanco

Previous

Return to Professional road racing