Register

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

19 Jun 2012 21:00

gustienordic wrote:Olivera? He has a pretty good TT in him, plus he is young, and the youngsters usually seem to try harder at some Nats

I was meaning for the RR. Oliveira has a very good chance at the TT.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 05:00

Saw him win in Montreal last year, based on that I had him pegged as a stage hunter rather than a GC candidate in grand tours. Think he might win more week long tours, but most likely he'll crave a hilly classic.
User avatar Orvieto

09 Jul 2012 20:15

Pretty decent ITT by Costa, let's see if this tour can confirm his GT potential:D

He should have no problem get into top 10
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

09 Jul 2012 20:41

i was going to wait for his performance on wednesday to bump this thread but since it has already been done . . . . .

he said he was sick after the TdS and wasn't feeling great at the start of the tourn mostly after his crash on stage 1, but now he says he is feeling better and better as the race progresses and since piti has lost too much time he will be riding for himself from now on. he actually waited for piti on saturday so ended up losing a bit more time then he should have, but that climb suited him unlike the high mountains.

still i wonder how far can he go
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

09 Jul 2012 21:24

A top 10 surely is within his grasp, with his TT and Valverde's assistance even more, the time gaps up until now are irrelevant if riders dont climb well in the high mountains proper and that will surely assist Costa's GC ambitions.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

09 Jul 2012 21:25

maxmartin wrote:Pretty decent ITT by Costa, let's see if this tour can confirm his GT potential:D

He should have no problem get into top 10

The De Gendt of the Tour? :D
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

09 Jul 2012 21:50

gustienordic wrote:The De Gendt of the Tour? :D

that my friend is out of the equation in this tour:D
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

23 Jul 2012 02:45

so now that the tour is over i would like the bump this thread once again.

Costa still finished 18th on GC despite only caring about stage wins ever since the first "real" mountain stage of the tour to la toussine.

he was on the break on the last 2 mountain stages so he clearly has the recovery, but just like he has always done, he still struggles on the real climbs losing too much time.

imo he should focus on the classics and 1 week races for now and if he really wants to, try to see what he can do on a GT in a couple years when he is more mature and his abilities are closer to their best.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

23 Jul 2012 08:31

I think he has good recovery but he should go either one way or the other.

1st Option. Go for stage wins at GT's one week races and classics.

2nd Option. Abandon the 1st option and try become a GC rider. That for the moment would however be a bad view in my mind as he can still achieve good results in other races.

If he does try a GT for GC soon i think it should be the Vuelta ( even though Movistar have Valverde and Cobo for that and in the future Madrazo and Quintana ), because with one climb he can conserve energy then give his all/ have a good ITT over some other contenders.

For the rest of the year i can foresee him getting a good result at the WC- best of luck.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 15:50

Completely bossed the TdS cept for the first MTF straight after altitude camp.

I wonder if he peaked too soon tho. :o
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 16:01

I heard there was a rumour of Costa going to GreenEdge.

Seems like a perfect team for him to target all one week stage races he wants plus GT if he wants. He'd only be a co-leader in Ardennes, with Gerrans .
Gloin22

16 Jun 2013 16:08

Gloin22 wrote:I heard there was a rumour of Costa going to GreenEdge.

Seems like a perfect team for him to target all one week stage races he wants plus GT if he wants. He'd only be a co-leader in Ardennes, with Gerrans .

I hope he doesn't go to GreenEdge, i don't think that's the right team for him.

With Valverde getting old and no spanish start on the horizon he could lead Movistar in a season or two alongside Quintana!!!
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 16:09

I thought he has signed for somebody else?

Or is it not even a rumor?

Or do you mean he will return in 2015 or whenever Valverde gets old?
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 16:14

The rumour is that he has a pre-deal with another team. But it comes from no reliable source so i wouldn't take it too seriously.

I hope he stays at movistar, but if he leaves, he will leave for a top team with money as his salary will probably be getting close to the 1 mil mark.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 19:54

He should stay: not a lot of pressure, great support team and he can lead most of the races he want. Besides he's not focused on GT's and I hope he doesn't in the future.
User avatar trevim

16 Jun 2013 21:28

trevim wrote:He should stay: not a lot of pressure, great support team and he can lead most of the races he want. Besides he's not focused on GT's and I hope he doesn't in the future.

Completely agree with this.

And even if he focuses on GT's he is only 26. He has plenty of time to get a couple top 10's which i think its the best he could possibly get in a GT.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

16 Jun 2013 21:42

He seems perfectly comfortable and integrated where he is. He's been getting his chances too. I think the risk of changing to a new outfit (especially one like Greenedge) outweights the advantages.

Those adavantages would be more freedom/leadership of course. If Ardennes are a serious goal for him, then there lies the question mark. At Liége being at Movistar beside Valverde was not of benefit for him.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot. Great ride today!
User avatar canyonball

16 Jun 2013 22:52

History repeated itself today, another fantastic ITT from Costa to snatch the ToS title.:D I can see an ultra strong Moviestar team battle with SKY in the Tour.:eek:
User avatar maxmartin

17 Jun 2013 01:28

Impressive ride by Costa. Fully deserved victory.
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Jun 2013 05:15

Great ride by Costa today, looks like he's peaking just at the right time. Agree with max, I can see Movistar providing strong competition for Sky at the Tour. Quintana, Rui, and Valverde will be a strong triple.

Agree that he should stay with Movistar also, he's had a lot of success with them. And with Valverde not getting any younger he'll get plenty of opportunities to lead at the races he wants to target.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing