Log in:  

Register

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Rui Costa Discussion Thread

25 Apr 2016 10:44

Why not having a teammate that could pace him all the way to Ans, lead out the sprint and even give him a little push while crossing the line to make sure that he wins ... :rolleyes:
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,021
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

02 Jan 2018 13:39

Anyone kows what will be his objectives for the season, and more important of all what will be his role in a tottaly renew team?
drebelo
Junior Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 12:10

Re:

04 Jan 2018 14:41

drebelo wrote:Anyone kows what will be his objectives for the season, and more important of all what will be his role in a tottaly renew team?

He’ll certainly ride the Ardennes. His record there is good enough that he’ll probably be on equal or near equal protected status with Martin. Other than that, week-long stage races, stage hunting/supporting Martin/Aru at a GT or 2, late season classics and Worlds.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

04 Jan 2018 16:39

Is the main rider at the TDU - Can podium at that race.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,518
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

04 Jan 2018 19:53

drebelo wrote:Anyone kows what will be his objectives for the season, and more important of all what will be his role in a tottaly renew team?


It will be interesting to see. If only one or other of Martin and Aru had joined, there would be plenty of room for him left as a leader. But with Aru and Martin both ahead of him in the pecking order and likely to be riding very different calendars from each other it gets trickier. Martin in particular poses a problem because his specialties map quite closely onto Costa’s and he’s better at them. Costa though is not one of nature’s domestiques so it’s very hard to see him in a support role regularly.

UAE, back when they were Lampre were notorious for not riding as a team. That used to work against Costa, but now, if the team is still a bit free-for-all in its approach, it might work for him. Perhaps he gets a lot of free roles or protected status and as a shrewd tactical rider he could benefit from being in the shadow of a teammate.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,437
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

05 Jan 2018 00:20

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
drebelo wrote:Anyone kows what will be his objectives for the season, and more important of all what will be his role in a tottaly renew team?


It will be interesting to see. If only one or other of Martin and Aru had joined, there would be plenty of room for him left as a leader. But with Aru and Martin both ahead of him in the pecking order and likely to be riding very different calendars from each other it gets trickier. Martin in particular poses a problem because his specialties map quite closely onto Costa’s and he’s better at them. Costa though is not one of nature’s domestiques so it’s very hard to see him in a support role regularly.

UAE, back when they were Lampre were notorious for not riding as a team. That used to work against Costa, but now, if the team is still a bit free-for-all in its approach, it might work for him. Perhaps he gets a lot of free roles or protected status and as a shrewd tactical rider he could benefit from being in the shadow of a teammate.


I see Rui Costa as a wild card. Though not really sure for what, since at GTs he'll hardly ever top-20 again.
User avatar lenric
Member
 
Posts: 1,337
Joined: 19 May 2014 21:52

Re: Re:

05 Jan 2018 06:22

lenric wrote:I see Rui Costa as a wild card. Though not really sure for what, since at GTs he'll hardly ever top-20 again.


He's unlikely to be a GC threat, but he can be sent up the road in breaks hunting stages, and then pick moments to strategically sit up for his leader. A bit like Mollema at the Tour this year.

Also, if Aru targets the Giro, and Martin does the Tour, Costa could then have a free run at the Vuelta.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re: Re:

05 Jan 2018 10:25

Leinster wrote:
lenric wrote:I see Rui Costa as a wild card. Though not really sure for what, since at GTs he'll hardly ever top-20 again.


He's unlikely to be a GC threat, but he can be sent up the road in breaks hunting stages, and then pick moments to strategically sit up for his leader. A bit like Mollema at the Tour this year.

Also, if Aru targets the Giro, and Martin does the Tour, Costa could then have a free run at the Vuelta.


Hmmm I'm not seeing that. Last year he deffinetly showed that hes not meant to be a GT leader. I think he will be doing a similar role that he had on the Movistar times. A good domestic with a certain freedom to go stage hunting. I also thing that maybe Aru will go for Vuelta anyway so that leaves him no space for being a leader, and since probably he will be back for the tour even if he goes to vuelta he may not be that fresh. Last year he did the giro Vuelta and after a bitter sweet Giro he did the vuelta tottaly under radar so even if he does the vuelta he will not be much fresh.
I might see him focus on ardennes and mainly the worlds and tour de suisse besides the GT's
I'm Hoping to see him get back to that 2013-2014 form
drebelo
Junior Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 12:10

05 Jan 2018 10:33

Rui Costa will ride for Dan Martin in the Ardennes ....this makes sense as Martin is by far the better prospect now

The most Costa can hope for is leadership in the races MArtin & Aru do not attend ....Tour of California , Abu Dhabi, Tour of Swiss
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,228
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

05 Jan 2018 11:04

There is a long way from Rui Costa 2013 at Movistar to now. Damn he was good back then.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,590
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

05 Jan 2018 13:51

HelloDolly wrote:Rui Costa will ride for Dan Martin in the Ardennes ....this makes sense as Martin is by far the better prospect now

The most Costa can hope for is leadership in the races MArtin & Aru do not attend ....Tour of California , Abu Dhabi, Tour of Swiss

Costa and Martin are the same age, and Costa’s record at Liege is more consistent than Martin’s, so I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you make it sound.

Most would probably weigh up the options and say that Martin is the more likely winner if they get to the finale in the same group, but it would be unwise to burn Costa off early in the race in favour of Martin, or have him wait for Martin late on, rather than have him work as a foil and to make attacks on the last 2 or 3 climbs that other riders can tow Martin up to.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

05 Jan 2018 19:44

I'm thinking some classics, and moving into a super-domestique role. He's out of his prime, but can very likely be an excellent mentor or road captain if properly utilized.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk
Member
 
Posts: 757
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

05 Jan 2018 20:13

Rui Costa is pretty good in shorter stage races, so he could be the team leader or at least a co-leader for races like Tour de Suisse, Romandie and Paris-Nice.
The Ardennes could be interesting, both Rui Costa and Ulissi could cover attacks or go on the attack while Dan Martin marks the biggest favourites, they both have a decent sprint, so having them on the attack could actually be a good move.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,456
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re:

05 Jan 2018 20:35

HelloDolly wrote:Rui Costa will ride for Dan Martin in the Ardennes ....this makes sense as Martin is by far the better prospect now

The most Costa can hope for is leadership in the races MArtin & Aru do not attend ....Tour of California , Abu Dhabi, Tour of Swiss


Rui Costa will pretend that he's riding for Dan Martin and will do what he always does, ride for himself :p
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,394
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Re:

06 Jan 2018 01:07

Leinster wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Rui Costa will ride for Dan Martin in the Ardennes ....this makes sense as Martin is by far the better prospect now

The most Costa can hope for is leadership in the races MArtin & Aru do not attend ....Tour of California , Abu Dhabi, Tour of Swiss

Costa and Martin are the same age, and Costa’s record at Liege is more consistent than Martin’s, so I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you make it sound.

Most would probably weigh up the options and say that Martin is the more likely winner if they get to the finale in the same group, but it would be unwise to burn Costa off early in the race in favour of Martin, or have him wait for Martin late on, rather than have him work as a foil and to make attacks on the last 2 or 3 climbs that other riders can tow Martin up to.



Their age has nothing to do wiht it...a blind person can see that Martin is the far better prospect for a win...with 2 seconds in 2017 and previous wins (and seconds) in one day classics. The speed of his finish is amasing

Costa is not of the same calibre now....simple really no matter how complicated you want to make it

Costa will not beat Valverde (if he can get back form), Kwaitoski, Allaphillipe , Tuens, etc...only Martin is in the same class now
HelloDolly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,228
Joined: 13 Mar 2015 00:12
Location: Birmingham

06 Jan 2018 04:30

Martin is the better finisher, but he was nowhere when Costa was able to follow Albasini in the winning break in 2016. Liege is about surviving to the end, and then about sprinting.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

06 Jan 2018 08:22

I'm not sure if Martin is faster of the two. Uphill yes, no doubt. But on the flat I'm not so sure. Some here forgot that Costa was a World Champion, and how he got that win. The man is cunning as anyone. And he also had some high placings in Monuments. He and Martin could work very well and could be pretty dangerous for anybody. But I don't think Costa will work for Martin in classic sense (aka setting the pace, chasing, leading out). He might try to go in some move on RaF or St.Nicholas, but if that fails he's going to save himself for the very end.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,394
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re: Rui Costa Discussion Thread

06 Jan 2018 11:01

Let's not forget that there is a guy named Diego Ulissi that will want to make a good impression in the ardennes classics too. Ulissi and Costa didn't work really well together so I'm curious to see what they will do with Martin in their team. I have a feeling that yet again it will be any man for itself. Let see If the UAE staff can put some sense in their heads cause they have an amazing team in their hands if they work together
drebelo
Junior Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 12:10

Re: Rui Costa Discussion Thread

06 Jan 2018 14:16

drebelo wrote:Let's not forget that there is a guy named Diego Ulissi that will want to make a good impression in the ardennes classics too. Ulissi and Costa didn't work really well together so I'm curious to see what they will do with Martin in their team. I have a feeling that yet again it will be any man for itself. Let see If the UAE staff can put some sense in their heads cause they have an amazing team in their hands if they work together


I don’t think that there will necessarily be that much conflict at the Ardennes: Martin doesn’t care about Amstel, while he’s clearly the only one with a chance at Flèche, which is just about pure strength. The only race where they might get in each other’s way is LBL. And even at Liege there are ways for Costa and/or Ulissi to ride for themselves while also helping Martin, ie by attacking before Ans. Then again, this being the ex-Lampre, we could easily see Costa and Ulissi hanging around to the end and still not helping. Management need to be very clear that if Costa or Ulissi want their own chance they have to attack on one of the earlier climbs and if they don’t, they work.

I think there’s more likelihood of problems in the GTs. Neither Aru nor Martin are going to be keen on the teams they are leading using a rider slot to bring a strong climber who won’t do dom work.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,437
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Rui Costa Discussion Thread

07 Jan 2018 08:58

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
drebelo wrote:Let's not forget that there is a guy named Diego Ulissi that will want to make a good impression in the ardennes classics too. Ulissi and Costa didn't work really well together so I'm curious to see what they will do with Martin in their team. I have a feeling that yet again it will be any man for itself. Let see If the UAE staff can put some sense in their heads cause they have an amazing team in their hands if they work together


I don’t think that there will necessarily be that much conflict at the Ardennes: Martin doesn’t care about Amstel, while he’s clearly the only one with a chance at Flèche, which is just about pure strength. The only race where they might get in each other’s way is LBL. And even at Liege there are ways for Costa and/or Ulissi to ride for themselves while also helping Martin, ie by attacking before Ans. Then again, this being the ex-Lampre, we could easily see Costa and Ulissi hanging around to the end and still not helping. Management need to be very clear that if Costa or Ulissi want their own chance they have to attack on one of the earlier climbs and if they don’t, they work.

I think there’s more likelihood of problems in the GTs. Neither Aru nor Martin are going to be keen on the teams they are leading using a rider slot to bring a strong climber who won’t do dom work.

That can be solved by sending one to the Giro with the intent of winning, while the other does the TDF
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,950
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arnout, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 23 guests

Back to top