Register

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 Jun 2012 15:30

a new kid is on the block, rode very smart showed great tactics sensibility. yesterday might just be the after effect of the strong itt effort. I think he is a potential GT rider. Of course it needs GT result to prove that.:D
User avatar maxmartin

17 Jun 2012 15:31

Epic stuff. :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 15:57

Great rider, a very versatile one. Will be very interesting to observe his progress further.
User avatar airstream

17 Jun 2012 15:58

airstream wrote:Great rider, a very versatile one. Will be very interesting to observe his progress further.

He is no longer "random movistar rider" to you?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 16:01

LaFlorecita wrote:He is no longer "random movistar rider" to you?

Everyone but you got I called him so for fun.
User avatar airstream

17 Jun 2012 16:03

airstream wrote:Everyone but you got I called him so for fun.

Nah I just found it incredibly disrespectful for fun or not.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 16:15

Given the form he's in maybe he can take the Portuguese TT jersey for real this time.

Hopefully they insist on the white outfit with the bands, because it would look so much less crappy than the normal Movistar bands, hopefully TT jerseys get a bit different treatment.

Something like the temporary one he had at Caisse d'Epargne until the win was taken away from him:

User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 16:16

Libertine Seguros wrote:Given the form he's in maybe he can take the Portuguese TT jersey for real this time.

Hopefully they insist on the white outfit with the bands, because it would look so much less crappy than the normal Movistar bands, hopefully TT jerseys get a bit different treatment.

Something like the temporary one he had at Caisse d'Epargne until the win was taken away from him:

I hope he can win that would be awesome. Do you know when the Portuguese nationals take place?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 16:24

next week just like all other nationals. in this form he might win the road race as well. even tho a portuguese national kit made by movistar isn't something i am entirely looking forward too :o
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 16:27

Championships start on Thursday, finish on Sunday.

The elite ITT is a 34km, pan-flat out-and-back on Friday; the road race is on Sunday and is circuits of an equally pan-flat 12,2km circuit.

Hard to expect any more of a parcours around Pataias, though they are going into Vale de Paredes to provide at least SOME attempt at selectivity. Sérgio Ribeiro will win, probably.
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 16:33

argh movistar kits suck!!!!!!
And so does the RSNT ones for machado if he wins.
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 17:51

Libertine Seguros wrote:Championships start on Thursday, finish on Sunday.

The elite ITT is a 34km, pan-flat out-and-back on Friday; the road race is on Sunday and is circuits of an equally pan-flat 12,2km circuit.

Hard to expect any more of a parcours around Pataias, though they are going into Vale de Paredes to provide at least SOME attempt at selectivity. Sérgio Ribeiro will win, probably.

Is it the same parcours as last year? I think that last year (or maybe 2 years ago) João Cabreira won on that course, so there is some hope that it won't go for a sprint. I would like Rui to win but he'll be isolated. Radioshack should send the entire team: Oliveira looked decent this week, Paulinho finished Suisse and Machado is always decent. I hope all the foreigners ride it this year.
User avatar trevim

17 Jun 2012 17:55

trevim wrote:Is it the same parcours as last year? I think that last year (or maybe 2 years ago) João Cabreira won on that course, so there is some hope that it won't go for a sprint. I would like Rui to win but he'll be isolated. Radioshack should send the entire team: Oliveira looked decent this week, Paulinho finished Suisse and Machado is always decent. I hope all the foreigners ride it this year.

Paulinho is no Radioshack :)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 18:13

LaFlorecita wrote:Paulinho is no Radioshack :)

Ahhh forgot about it since he's been invisible this year :D Still, I hope both he and Bruno Pires ride the damn thing :)
User avatar trevim

17 Jun 2012 20:55

trevim wrote:Is it the same parcours as last year? I think that last year (or maybe 2 years ago) João Cabreira won on that course, so there is some hope that it won't go for a sprint. I would like Rui to win but he'll be isolated. Radioshack should send the entire team: Oliveira looked decent this week, Paulinho finished Suisse and Machado is always decent. I hope all the foreigners ride it this year.

It looks to be the same as last year, Cabreira and Mario Costa had a two-up sprint a few seconds ahead of the bunch.

As for the "foreigners" (i.e. Portuguese racing on non-Portuguese teams), there's:

Joni Brandão (Burgos) - I have hopes for him, decent prospect.
Hernâni Broco (Caja Rural)
André Cardoso (Caja Rural)
Manuel Cardoso (Caja Rural)
Fernando Carvalho (Gios-Deyser)
Rui Costa (Movistar)
Tiago Machado (Radioshack)
Nelson Oliveira (Radioshack)
Sérgio Paulinho (Saxo Bank)
Bruno Pires (Saxo Bank)
Bruno Saraiva (Team Differdange)
Fabio Silvestre (Leopard Trek Continental)

I'm also changing my mind a bit and suggesting maybe Filipe Cardoso for the nationals. I'm kind of torn on what I want; I'd love to see the Portuguese jersey in the pro péloton, but at the same time it's a big deal for the national teams, so would be good for them to keep it.
Veteran

17 Jun 2012 21:19

I would prefer a foreigner to take it. Otherwise the jersey would only be visible in the Volta. I hope that the local teams don't have a lot of power otherwise this could turn into Sérgio "the new Cândido" Ribeiro vs Samuel Caldeira vs Filipe Cardoso on the sprint.
User avatar trevim

18 Jun 2012 21:01

Portugal's President Cavaco Silva congratulates Rui Costa for the win in the Tour of Suisse.

http://desporto.sapo.pt/mais_modalidades/artigo/2012/06/18/cavaco_silva_felicita_rui_costa_.html

Althought I'm pretty sure he doesn't know the what the hell is the WT or what the hell is a bike is nice that Rui's amazing victory is noted even during the insanity period of the football cup. I still wouldn't vote for him but he earned a couple of points in my view :D
User avatar trevim

19 Jun 2012 00:30

even the newspaper cover, considering what he was up against, wasn't that bad.

also his site has been down because too many people have tried to go there and crashed it!!!!
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 00:54

Libertine Seguros wrote:Championships start on Thursday, finish on Sunday.

Olivera? He has a pretty good TT in him, plus he is young, and the youngsters usually seem to try harder at some Nats
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

19 Jun 2012 07:44

Parrulo wrote:Image

even the newspaper cover, considering what he was up against, wasn't that bad.

also his site has been down because too many people have tried to go there and crashed it!!!!

That's actually extremely good I'd say, especially in a country like Portugal where cycling has taken big hits in recent years. And that in A Bola, nice to see :cool:
User avatar Arnout

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing