Register

Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

04 Jul 2018 19:42

LaFlorecita wrote:
jaylew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Well, making a vertically striped flag the "right way" round just wouldn't work; the proportions of the human torso doesn't fit.

Not true.

I don't mind the sideways flag too much if the team incorporates the national colors in the bibs as well but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Really? It's the classic way to design a national kit for countries with tricolor flags. It's always been that way.
I mean obviously I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't like but you almost make it sound like it's wrong

Certainly not wrong. It's all subjective. I've just never been one to stand by tradition for tradition's sake. I embrace change, particularly when there is likely no meaningful reason for a tradition's origin or why it should continue that way, especially when we're talking about something relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I like to see teams actually try to design something (yes, they often fail miserably) rather than just do a sideways flag. I know I'm probably in the minority around here but what point would this thread even be if every nats jersey looked exactly the same for every nation, every year?
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:43

But... that's the thing; a national champion jersey really is "just a flag"

Unless you're British, in which case you'll be wearing the Dutch flag for some reason…
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:46

RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:Image

Eh... that's sideways. And Hagen's have the wrong shape for the cross.

I think they both look great. Anyway, at this point I don't really know how or if we're even disagreeing :p

You're against sideway flags, I'm pointing out that in some cases it's the only way to make it look right.
(But I don't seriously think flags with horisontal stripes should be turned sideways.)

Generally only when it's a flag consisting exclusively of vertical stripes which they turn horizontal.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

04 Jul 2018 19:49

RedheadDane wrote:But... that's the thing; a national champion jersey really is "just a flag"

Unless you're British, in which case you'll be wearing the Dutch flag for some reason…

Ugh, that one is the absolute worst. And that's not really true. It is for some countries, certainly not all.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:51

jaylew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:But... that's the thing; a national champion jersey really is "just a flag"

Ugh, that one is the absolute worst. And that's not really true. It is for some countries, certainly not all.

What national champion jerseys - other than the British, Australian, and New Zealand - aren't in it's core a flag?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:52

RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:

What national champion jerseys - other than the British, Australian, and New Zealand - aren't in it's core a flag?

Well, you just proved my point. :p
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:53

jaylew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:

It's still the wast majority that goes the flag-route.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 19:57

The US one has got to be a pain no matter how you attempt to do.
User avatar Koronin

04 Jul 2018 20:01

RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:

Leinster

04 Jul 2018 20:03

RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:

It's still the wast majority that goes the flag-route.

Sure, but not all. And many do a "semi-flag" rather than try to re-create it exactly, sideways or no. There are several examples of that, USA for one. Sometimes, it has stars, sometimes stripes, sometimes both and done differently in most years.

I really don't like the German one. Almost all white, with really thin flag stripes. I guess to make it look significantly different from the Belgian flipped striped jersey.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 20:04

Leinster wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
jaylew wrote:

That's nice.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 20:09

I really don't like the German one. Almost all white, with really thin flag stripes. I guess to make it look significantly different from the Belgian flipped striped jersey.

Just convince the Belgians to have the red bit on the top, so the Germans can have the black bit.

And I suppose the simpler a flag is, the easier it is to design a good national jersey.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

04 Jul 2018 20:17

RedheadDane wrote:

Just convince the Belgians to have the red bit on the top, so the Germans can have the black bit.

And I suppose the simpler a flag is, the easier it is to design a good national jersey.

Well Movistar can't even manage to do a nice Spanish Champion jersey. That's not exactly a difficult flag to do deal with, but they just put a swoosh of color on the upper right breast and left shoulder it is really sad. They don't even try to do something with the two colors, don't mind the crown design on the flag that will never made it to the jersey.
User avatar Koronin

04 Jul 2018 20:20

Koronin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Well Movistar can't even manage to do a nice Spanish Champion jersey. That's not exactly a difficult flag to do deal with, but they just put a swoosh of color on the upper right breast and left shoulder it is really sad. They don't even try to do something with the two colors, don't mind the crown design on the flag that will never made it to the jersey.

Apparently more and more teams are going down the sad route of "We must let team colours get precedence!"
Good thing there still are teams like QS and - in particular - FDJ around.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 20:28

RedheadDane wrote:
Koronin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Apparently more and more teams are going down the sad route of "We must let team colours get precedence!"

Unfortunately there are. We really need more teams like QS and FDJ for the National Championship jerseys.
User avatar Koronin

04 Jul 2018 20:31

Koronin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Just imagine the current Movistar jersey with red instead of blue and a yellow "M".

And yeah, they have managed to tone it even more down than the one in my profile pic which was from 2015. Of course, now it's toned away but that's probably not to their liking :D
User avatar tobydawq

04 Jul 2018 20:36

RedheadDane wrote:
Koronin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

Pretty easy for FDJ when the team colors match the flag colors. :p
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 20:48

What about Ludvigsson?
Though, I'm not so sure about this. Guess it's just a case of "that's how we do it in Lithuania".
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

04 Jul 2018 20:52

RedheadDane wrote:What about Ludvigsson?
Though, I'm not so sure about this. Guess it's just a case of "that's how we do it in Lithuania".

Good point. I do like that they did the country colors on the bibs as well rather than use the team colors.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

04 Jul 2018 21:37

Koronin wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:

They claim the sponsor forces them on the men's team.

Let's wait a few days to find out what Merino and Biannic's jerseys look like, and we'll find out if it's true

edit: just as I speak, Biannic posts hers

RedheadDane wrote:What about Ludvigsson?

This makes it weirder:

http://tourdejose.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/20130101-012236.jpg
User avatar GuyIncognito

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing