Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

18 Dec 2017 16:39

I knew Froome, Peaty, Hamilton, Farah, and Kane from that list. I'm personally shocked that I didn't know the tennis player but I'm just not as interested in women's tennis as in men's tennis. I don't really care about boxing, cricket and motorcycle races (that said, I'm surprised a super bike WC is on the list. I always thought super bike is like the WTCC for car racing, a race series hardly anyone cares about) and the other athletes are all from sports nobody really cares about outside of the olympics (that's at leaset how I see it, maybe I'm completely wrong and taekwondo is a really big thing in Britain)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

18 Dec 2017 16:43

No Gigs, you're right about the others. There was a massive campaign to get Rea nominated in the motorcycling community and it continued into the event. The voting numbers are low as you can see and there's quite a big following for bike racing in the UK.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

18 Dec 2017 18:15

I know seven of the names - It's a flawed award if voted by the public - The award needs to be reviewed.
yaco

Re:

18 Dec 2017 19:19

Netserk wrote:I only know of GS winners in Tennis, I think, but even then it's mostly the best men I know of. In the other three mentioned sports, I wouldn't be able to pick anyone (except a handful of Danish swimmers, but I've never watched them perform).

If there were some handball players though...

So you didn't know British tennis until 2012?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Dec 2017 19:39

I can't recall when I heard of Murray, but it was probably a few years before his first win. I can't name any other British tennis player though. Tennis is not a sport I actively pursuit news of, so I only hear of tennis players when they are mentioned in the general sports news and I happen to listen to it.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

19 Dec 2017 12:20

Netserk wrote:I too only knew Farah, Froome, and Hamilton. I don't follow (club) football, nor athletics and other minor sports (I guess some of the others practice that).

I follow football a lot, but still I quite do not know who Kane is, he is just noone in world football, and when I am not fan of premier league, it is logic that he is quite unknown to anyone else outside England
I also know only Hamilton, Froome and Konta :)
bassano

Re: Re:

19 Dec 2017 12:51

bassano wrote:I follow football a lot, but still I quite do not know who Kane is, he is just noone in world football, and when I am not fan of premier league, it is logic that he is quite unknown to anyone else outside England

What? Harry Kane really isn't unknown outside of England! If you don't like the Premier League, that's fine, but it's unambiguously the biggest national competition in the world and Harry Kane has been the most prolific goal scorer in the PL for a couple of years now. I'd be very surprised if less than 90% of people who would describe themselves with the words "I follow football a lot" know who Harry Kane is.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

19 Dec 2017 13:11

Hmm, after checking up on it, I can see that he played in all the matched for England at the Euro '16. He mustn't have left much of an impression, as I couldn't recognize his name, even though I watched all four games.

All this to say that from my (non-English) perspective, Froome wasn't up against much opposition for the spoty. Without the recent news, he really should have landed in the top three (outright won it if they actually cared about cycling).
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

19 Dec 2017 13:20

Netserk wrote:Hmm, after checking up on it, I can see that he played in all the matched for England at the Euro '16. He mustn't have left much of an impression, as I couldn't recognize his name, even though I watched all four games.

All this to say that from my (non-English) perspective, Froome wasn't up against much opposition for the spoty. Without the recent news, he really should have landed in the top three (outright won it if they actually cared about cycling).

LOL. It requires a very good memory to remember somebody from English national team who has left much of an impression both in EURO or WORLDS. :D
User avatar SKSemtex

Re:

19 Dec 2017 13:21

Netserk wrote:Hmm, after checking up on it, I can see that he played in all the matched for England at the Euro '16. He mustn't have left much of an impression, as I couldn't recognize his name, even though I watched all four games.

I distinctively remember him being hyped up and sucking the entire EC.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

19 Dec 2017 14:04

Gigs_98 wrote:I knew Froome, Peaty, Hamilton, Farah, and Kane from that list. I'm personally shocked that I didn't know the tennis player but I'm just not as interested in women's tennis as in men's tennis. I don't really care about boxing, cricket and motorcycle races (that said, I'm surprised a super bike WC is on the list. I always thought super bike is like the WTCC for car racing, a race series hardly anyone cares about) and the other athletes are all from sports nobody really cares about outside of the olympics (that's at leaset how I see it, maybe I'm completely wrong and taekwondo is a really big thing in Britain)

The nominations are by a panel, i believe its because too few women and niche sports were being recognised, the overall top 12 is then voted on by the public.
Agree there are some headscratchers in the list, but surprised how some people don't seem to know who Anthony Joshua is, the heavyweight champion of the world isn't as big as it used to be, but still a pretty big deal. And his fight with Klitchko was massive, and the best heavyweight fight for a number of years.
That being said, based on achievement Froome should have won, though obviously may have lost votes for the offence that can't be named here.
Singer01

19 Dec 2017 15:58

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
bassano wrote:I follow football a lot, but still I quite do not know who Kane is, he is just noone in world football, and when I am not fan of premier league, it is logic that he is quite unknown to anyone else outside England

What? Harry Kane really isn't unknown outside of England! If you don't like the Premier League, that's fine, but it's unambiguously the biggest national competition in the world and Harry Kane has been the most prolific goal scorer in the PL for a couple of years now. I'd be very surprised if less than 90% of people who would describe themselves with the words "I follow football a lot" know who Harry Kane is.

Yes, I bet lot of people who follows football knows who Harry Kane is, but I find it quite amusing that he makes to this list. The guy is barely top 50 footballer in the world and barely top 15 in premier league. Should he really be in the same list with Hamilton, Farah, Froome and Joshua in example? I don't think so. He is there only because there are no better footballers in England.

Enough I guess for other sports in Froome topic anyway.
bambino

19 Dec 2017 16:04

bambino wrote:
Maaaaaaaarten wrote:

Yes, I bet lot of people who follows football knows who Harry Kane is, but I find it quite amusing that he makes to this list. The guy is barely top 50 footballer in the world and barely top 15 in premier league. Should he really be in the same list with Hamilton, Farah, Froome and Joshua in example? I don't think so. He is there only because there are no better footballers in England.

Enough I guess for other sports in Froome topic anyway.

I think kane was the best goal scorer last year so it is perfectly normal he is on that list. football is the king sport in england...
portugal11

19 Dec 2017 16:55

bambino wrote:

Kane was 10th in the recent Ballon d'Or awards, behind only Kante of Premiership players
Parker

20 Dec 2017 19:21

Is it right that if Froome got suspended by Sky any ban he gets would bear that in mind, i.e. His ban would have ran from September 2017, but because he hasn't been suspended, he will be banned from when ruling is made?

If so, I don't see how he rides in 2018 at all. This will probably drag on for a few months still, but I hope it doesn't become one of them where he starts the Giro and any results he gets are later removed, the sport has had more than enough of that. If he's getting a ban, get on with it.
User avatar Poursuivant

Re:

20 Dec 2017 19:31

Poursuivant wrote:Is it right that if Froome got suspended by Sky any ban he gets would bear that in mind, i.e. His ban would have ran from September 2017, but because he hasn't been suspended, he will be banned from when ruling is made?

If so, I don't see how he rides in 2018 at all. This will probably drag on for a few months still, but I hope it doesn't become one of them where he starts the Giro and any results he gets are later removed, the sport has had more than enough of that. If he's getting a ban, get on with it.

I think this will take ages to resolve. Froome will want to drag it on
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

20 Dec 2017 20:05

Poursuivant wrote:Is it right that if Froome got suspended by Sky any ban he gets would bear that in mind, i.e. His ban would have ran from September 2017, but because he hasn't been suspended, he will be banned from when ruling is made?

The ban will probably start when he was caught and every result he gets while riding until the end of suspension will be nullified. It's a huge gamble by Sky and a big problem for Vegni and ASO.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

21 Dec 2017 11:33

Back after another months holiday....what have I missed :cool:
rick james

21 Dec 2017 11:35

El Pistolero wrote:
ooo wrote:Todays BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 voting results:
Sir Mo Farah 83,524
Jonathan Rea 80,567
Jonnie Peacock 73,429
Anthony Joshua 73,411
Adam Peaty 63,739
Lewis Hamilton 60,627
Chris Froome 47,683
Harry Kane 18,759
Anya Shrubsole 15,237
Bianca Walkden 13,962
Johanna Konta 7,591
Elise Christie 6,504

Only know 3 people on that list, didn't know Brits were that terrible in sports.

i don't think they pick it on wheather a faceless person on the internet will know the athelets or not
rick james

Re:

21 Dec 2017 11:40

rick james wrote:Back after another months holiday....what have I missed :cool:

Not much :lol:
bigcog

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing