Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

21 Dec 2017 14:56

I find that British people usually have a general interest in many sports.
I mean, consider the fact that between 2008-2012, 3 of the winners were cyclists. And cycling has long been considered a minor sport in Britain (though it has had a massive increase recently)

Over the last 13 years, the winners' sports have been distributed widely:
3 Tennis (All Andy Murray)
3 Cycling
1 Athletics
1 Formula 1
1 Horse Racing
1 Football (Soccer)
1 Boxing
1 Eventing
1 Cricket

Also, note that, for example, the Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the year, despite it including all sportspeople across the globe [though it has a clear American bias], since 2003 16/18 of the winners have been involved in Baseball, American Football or Basketball. I mean, it is ridiculous that neither Federer not Bolt have ever won. In my opinion, that shows a lack of diversity/range of sports which is a shame as smaller sports do not get recognition. In contrast, over each of the last 6 years a different sport has won the BBC Overseas Personality. I believe the reason for this is that American sports is so separate from the rest of the world. I consider myself to have at the very least to have a mild interest in many sports, including Athletics, Cycling, Tennis, Football (Soccer), Snooker, Golf, Cricket and Formula 1 and perhaps also Rugby. Yet I do not know anything about Basketball [though I enjoy playing it], American Football or Baseball.

Even so, I have always believed that the voting power should be distributed evenly, with 50% of the power going to professional judges (such as sports journalists) and 50% going to the public (primarily to increase interest).
User avatar Ruby United

Re: Re:

21 Dec 2017 15:08

bassano wrote:
Netserk wrote:I too only knew Farah, Froome, and Hamilton. I don't follow (club) football, nor athletics and other minor sports (I guess some of the others practice that).

I follow football a lot, but still I quite do not know who Kane is, he is just noone in world football, and when I am not fan of premier league, it is logic that he is quite unknown to anyone else outside England
I also know only Hamilton, Froome and Konta :)

I find it very hard to believe that someone who follow Football a lot does not know who Harry Kane is. I mean, he has won the Golden Boot (for scoring the most goals) in the Premier League the last two years in a row. It is not logical that he is quite unknown to anyone outside of England. The Premier League is arguably the strongest football league in the world (certainly the richest), and for someone who "follow[s] football a lot" to not know its top scorer two years in a row, is quite illogical.

I, for example, consider myself to follow football quite a lot, but certainly not avidly, and I am very familiar with the top scorers in all the top football leagues. (French Ligue 1, La Liga, Series A and Bundesliga.)
Perhaps, there is just a difference between what is considered a football fan here in England than in Czech Republic. Everyone in England supports football and everyone discusses it constantly.
Anyways, I feel like this conversation is off topic.
User avatar Ruby United

21 Dec 2017 17:54

El Pistolero wrote:
ooo wrote:Todays BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 voting results:
Sir Mo Farah 83,524
Jonathan Rea 80,567
Jonnie Peacock 73,429
Anthony Joshua 73,411
Adam Peaty 63,739
Lewis Hamilton 60,627
Chris Froome 47,683
Harry Kane 18,759
Anya Shrubsole 15,237
Bianca Walkden 13,962
Johanna Konta 7,591
Elise Christie 6,504

Only know 3 people on that list, didn't know Brits were that terrible in sports.

The current Tour de France champion, the current F1 champion, current unified heavyweight champion of the world, a current double Olympic track champion, and one of the world's best swimmers who's smashed WRs everytime he's been in a pool over the past couple of years. If you've only heard of 3, that says more about your knowledge than their ability. And of the others, 2 are world champions and one of the biggest stars of their, albeit minority, sports. The other 3 are there to tick a box, I grant you.
King Of The Wolds

22 Dec 2017 03:45

Joshua isn't unified champion
User avatar whittashau

22 Dec 2017 09:56

Rollthedice wrote:
Poursuivant wrote:Is it right that if Froome got suspended by Sky any ban he gets would bear that in mind, i.e. His ban would have ran from September 2017, but because he hasn't been suspended, he will be banned from when ruling is made?

If so, I don't see how he rides in 2018 at all. This will probably drag on for a few months still, but I hope it doesn't become one of them where he starts the Giro and any results he gets are later removed, the sport has had more than enough of that. If he's getting a ban, get on with it.

The ban will probably start when he was caught and every result he gets while riding until the end of suspension will be nullified. It's a huge gamble by Sky and a big problem for Vegni and ASO.

So we could even have a situation where Froome joins the "WON all GT Club" if he wins Giro, and then gets his Giro and Vuelta taken from him. It's ridiculous, it needs to be sorted before the end of January, at the latest.
User avatar Poursuivant

22 Dec 2017 10:25

He is clearly NOT starting the Giro if this hasn't been sorted by then! He'll be thrown off the road if he does.

The earlier he starts his ban the better. One can only hope he'll have the good sense of accepting his ban gracefully and he can always maintain he didn't try to cheat but got some bad advice from his doctor, blah,blah,blah. Any other attitude and his career is finished methinks.
webvan

Re:

22 Dec 2017 14:11

whittashau wrote:Joshua isn't unified champion

Actually, it is not that simple.
Joshua holds the WBA, IBF and IBO belts.
The truth is that there are several different definitions of what is called a unified world champion.

One definition is holding any two of the four big belts (WBO, WBA, WBC, IBF; the IBO is considered much less prestigious) in the same weight division [this is the opinion of the WBA]. It does get slightly more complicated in Joshua's case, as he is really the WBA Super-heavyweight world champion whilst only the regular heavyweight champion in the others (as they do not have super-heavyweights). Nonetheless, most people consider the WBA heavyweight and super-heavyweight titles to really be the same weight class. Therefore, overall, according to this definition Joshua is 'a unified world champion' or 'undisputed champion.'

Another definition is holding all 4 of the big belts (WBO, WBA, WBC and IBF).
Others say that just the WBA, WBC and IBF is enough as the WBO has less credibility than the other three. This is usually the accepted opinion.

In any event, in boxing jargon it is common for someone who has two of the big 4 titles (such as Joshua) to be called 'a unified world champion' as he has unified two belts, whilst someone who has all 4 (or 'just' the WBA, WBC and IBF) to be called 'the unified world champion' or 'the undisputed champion of the world.'
Hope that clarifies some things. As with everything in boxing, nothing is simple.
User avatar Ruby United

22 Dec 2017 14:52

Ruby United wrote:
whittashau wrote:Joshua isn't unified champion

Actually, it is not that simple.
Joshua holds the WBA, IBF and IBO belts.
The truth is that there are several different definitions of what is called a unified world champion.

One definition is holding any two of the four big belts (WBO, WBA, WBC, IBF; the IBO is considered much less prestigious) in the same weight division [this is the opinion of the WBA]. It does get slightly more complicated in Joshua's case, as he is really the WBA Super-heavyweight world champion whilst only the regular heavyweight champion in the others (as they do not have super-heavyweights). Nonetheless, most people consider the WBA heavyweight and super-heavyweight titles to really be the same weight class. Therefore, overall, according to this definition Joshua is 'a unified world champion' or 'undisputed champion.'

Another definition is holding all 4 of the big belts (WBO, WBA, WBC and IBF).
Others say that just the WBA, WBC and IBF is enough as the WBO has less credibility than the other three. This is usually the accepted opinion.

In any event, in boxing jargon it is common for someone who has two of the big 4 titles (such as Joshua) to be called 'a unified world champion' as he has unified two belts, whilst someone who has all 4 (or 'just' the WBA, WBC and IBF) to be called the unified world champion' or 'the undisputed champion of the world.'
Hope that clarifies some things. As with everything in boxing, nothing is simple.

One remark: WBA may have Super Champions in other divisions (i.e. Golovkin). So Joshua is not "Super-heavyweight world champion" but Super champion in Heavyweight.

And "Nonetheless, most people consider the WBA heavyweight and super-heavyweight titles to really be the same weight class." I think everybody considers this, both titles are in the same weight class.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

22 Dec 2017 18:50

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
bassano wrote:I follow football a lot, but still I quite do not know who Kane is, he is just noone in world football, and when I am not fan of premier league, it is logic that he is quite unknown to anyone else outside England
I also know only Hamilton, Froome and Konta :)

What? Harry Kane really isn't unknown outside of England! If you don't like the Premier League, that's fine, but it's unambiguously the biggest national competition in the world and Harry Kane has been the most prolific goal scorer in the PL for a couple of years now. I'd be very surprised if less than 90% of people who would describe themselves with the words "I follow football a lot" know who Harry Kane is.

Kane is one of the best strikers in the world, Real tried to sign him this summer :confused:

Are you sure you follow football?

That's meant for bassano not you sorry
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

22 Dec 2017 18:56

Netserk wrote:Hmm, after checking up on it, I can see that he played in all the matched for England at the Euro '16. He mustn't have left much of an impression, as I couldn't recognize his name, even though I watched all four games.

All this to say that from my (non-English) perspective, Froome wasn't up against much opposition for the spoty. Without the recent news, he really should have landed in the top three (outright won it if they actually cared about cycling).

Joshua was favourite mainly because he's more outspoken than the quieter Froome. Froome was in for a top 3 according to odds, as was Hamilton, but events just before it sort of ruined it for them (Hamilton's tax issues). And because not many people vote, if a small sport's followers care enough they can mass vote and cause an upset (like Rea almost did). Peaty deserved a good result as well because he is simply phenomenal in his field, but as it's technically a "personality" contest, media exposure counts for a lot as well. Joshua and Hamilton have loads, Froome and Peaty don't.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

22 Dec 2017 19:13

Ruby United wrote:I find that British people usually have a general interest in many sports.
I mean, consider the fact that between 2008-2012, 3 of the winners were cyclists. And cycling has long been considered a minor sport in Britain (though it has had a massive increase recently)

Over the last 13 years, the winners' sports have been distributed widely:
3 Tennis (All Andy Murray)
3 Cycling
1 Athletics
1 Formula 1
1 Horse Racing
1 Football (Soccer)
1 Boxing
1 Eventing
1 Cricket

Also, note that, for example, the Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the year, despite it including all sportspeople across the globe [though it has a clear American bias], since 2003 16/18 of the winners have been involved in Baseball, American Football or Basketball. I mean, it is ridiculous that neither Federer not Bolt have ever won. In my opinion, that shows a lack of diversity/range of sports which is a shame as smaller sports do not get recognition. In contrast, over each of the last 6 years a different sport has won the BBC Overseas Personality. I believe the reason for this is that American sports is so separate from the rest of the world. I consider myself to have at the very least to have a mild interest in many sports, including Athletics, Cycling, Tennis, Football (Soccer), Snooker, Golf, Cricket and Formula 1 and perhaps also Rugby. Yet I do not know anything about Basketball [though I enjoy playing it], American Football or Baseball.

Even so, I have always believed that the voting power should be distributed evenly, with 50% of the power going to professional judges (such as sports journalists) and 50% going to the public (primarily to increase interest).

I love the raw jingoism here then immediately criticizing other countries of that. Pot calling the kettle black.
jahn

22 Dec 2017 20:17

El Pistolero wrote:
ooo wrote:Todays BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 voting results:
Sir Mo Farah 83,524
Jonathan Rea 80,567
Jonnie Peacock 73,429
Anthony Joshua 73,411
Adam Peaty 63,739
Lewis Hamilton 60,627
Chris Froome 47,683
Harry Kane 18,759
Anya Shrubsole 15,237
Bianca Walkden 13,962
Johanna Konta 7,591
Elise Christie 6,504

Only know 3 people on that list, didn't know Brits were that terrible in sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics_medal_table
User avatar oldcrank

22 Dec 2017 21:04

Chris Froome seems like a genuinely nice guy but its seems impossible to me that a rider with that kind of ugly form can ride a bike so fast. I am not accusing him of anything but having an ugly peddling style. He looks about as good on the bike as Rick Astley does when he is dancing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
racing_like_scalded_cats

22 Dec 2017 21:35

thank god its not a style competition then....And who knew the better the style that faster you went?
rick james

Re:

23 Dec 2017 11:19

rick james wrote:thank god its not a style competition then....And who knew the better the style that faster you went?

Are you saying that having an effective pedalling technique doesn't help you go faster? That isn't very marginal gains-y.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

23 Dec 2017 11:31

racing_like_scalded_cats wrote:Chris Froome seems like a genuinely nice guy but its seems impossible to me that a rider with that kind of ugly form can ride a bike so fast. I am not accusing him of anything but having an ugly peddling style. He looks about as good on the bike as Rick Astley does when he is dancing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I think Froome seems to be a nice guy, but he has never come across as geniuine to me. Quite the opposite in fact.. he seems like a big pleaser, politically correct and says what people want to hear. Personally, I find his personality annoying and that has nothing to do with the bike. I liked Armstrong much more in that aspect despite him having major flaws
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

23 Dec 2017 11:39

Brullnux wrote:
rick james wrote:thank god its not a style competition then....And who knew the better the style that faster you went?

Are you saying that having an effective pedalling technique doesn't help you go faster? That isn't very marginal gains-y.

What works for one might not worker for another that’s all....froomes technique works for him and since he’s the greatest grand tour rider of this era i am sure he sleeps easy at night knowing elbows out works for him
rick james

23 Dec 2017 11:42

Brullnux wrote:

Im pretttty sure thats not what hes saying. :razz: :) ;)
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

24 Dec 2017 14:03

Guys... this is the Chris Froome Thread. Go to the real football thread to discuss about Kane.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re:

24 Dec 2017 18:40

Eshnar wrote:Guys... this is the Chris Froome Thread. Go to the real football thread to discuss about Kane.

I get that off-topic discussion isn't encouraged but cmon, does it really matter in the off-season? :lol:
User avatar PremierAndrew

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing