Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Sep 2017 23:27

Now second in the WT rankings:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rankings.php?code=uci-worldtour-ranking

It would be first except the UCI thinks coming second in one of the silly canadian races is 400 points or half a GT win worth. Why on earth do they even give points for places after first in a *one day race*...
hazaran

Re: Re:

11 Sep 2017 00:20

Pricey_sky wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:
TMP402 wrote:
Amazinmets87 wrote:Congrats to Froome.

I have a question: Which rider has the most GT victories from age 33 onwards?

Joop Zoetemelk and Tony Rominger both had two, off the top of my head.

So, based off history we can say Froome's window is closing rapidly

I'd say looking at this years performances maybe 2 more years, so go all out for Tour number 5 next year and then I'd be surprised if he doesn't give the Giro a shot in 2019.

Well, would you rather win all three GTs or win an (officially) record-breaking number of Tours? If it were me I'd go for Tour-Vuelta in 2018 (but Vuelta as an afterthought, not like this season was seemingly planned), Tour 2019, and THEN Giro. Even if quite past his best he could win the Giro if the field and route are favourable to him
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 00:22

Pricey_sky wrote:I'd say looking at this years performances maybe 2 more years, so go all out for Tour number 5 next year and then I'd be surprised if he doesn't give the Giro a shot in 2019.
Why the Giro and not a 6th TdF?
AQETUYIOI

11 Sep 2017 00:42

AQETUYIOI wrote:
Pricey_sky wrote:I'd say looking at this years performances maybe 2 more years, so go all out for Tour number 5 next year and then I'd be surprised if he doesn't give the Giro a shot in 2019.

Imo a Giro would add more to his palmares than a 6th Tour.

I think he's got two more years: get a 5th Tour, a Giro, a second Vuelta, and maybe even rainbow are probably the most he can hope for in that timeframe.

Looks like he's not going to ride the ITT in Bergen after all in a week and a half. Doubt he would have beaten Dumo considering he's fully targeting it, but a silver medal would have been nice

(and you never know what could happen on the day)
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

11 Sep 2017 02:13

Ruby United wrote:[quote="

Froome may not ever reach 2013/2015 shape ever again, but he doesn't need to be to consistently win Grand Tours. He lacks a serious Grand Tour competitor. Someone who, like him, can:
(a) Race consistently on all terrain over three weeks
(b) Time trial seriously well
(c) Climb seriously well.

Nibali has (a) but lacks too much of (b) and, recently, (c) to be considered a serious threat to Froome.
Pinot has (c) but lacks too much of (a) and occasionally (b) to be considered a serious threat to Froome.
Aru lacks a bit of all of the above - he is one level below Froome in each and thus is not considered a serious threat to Froome.
Bardet has (a) and (c) but seriously lacks (b)
Quintana certainly has (c) but occasionally lacks (a) and lacks (b)

The only two riders I see with a chance of beating Froome are:
Dumoulin - who has (b) and is rapidly improving in (a) and (c)
Landa - who has (c) and can hold his own in (b) but is still relatively unknown in (c)

Other than that, only if other up-and-coming riders, such as Lopez, develop in rounded GC riders, Froome merely needs to maintain his climbing level and continue to race conservatively as he has been since 2015.

I still think Quintana can challenge him but not on 2017 form. I have some doubts about Landa especially with the TTs. Nibali is probably past his best now. Porte can look really good over a week but has never converted that form to three weeks and has enough trouble finishing a GT. The younger guys are not quite good enough yet to challenge Froome but they are improving. Lopez for the future obviously. Aru and Bardet and Uran are at a similar level. Aru on a full preparation next year will be much better.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 07:34

hazaran wrote:Now second in the WT rankings:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rankings.php?code=uci-worldtour-ranking

It would be first except the UCI thinks coming second in one of the silly canadian races is 400 points or half a GT win worth. Why on earth do they even give points for places after first in a *one day race*...

You seem to forget you also get points for wearing the leader's jersey in a GT, secondary jerseys and for placings. Froome has basically raced 1 week in June, 3 in July and 3 now. So I'd say being second in the WT is quite generous.
User avatar Jagartrott

11 Sep 2017 08:15

Nah it is crazy Froome isn't nr. 1, but give credit to van Avermaet for showing up the whole year, although some of the small Belgian races are giving way too many points.

Is Froomes season over apart from the TT in Bergen?
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

11 Sep 2017 08:23

PremierAndrew wrote:
AQETUYIOI wrote:

Imo a Giro would add more to his palmares than a 6th Tour.

I think he's got two more years: get a 5th Tour, a Giro, a second Vuelta, and maybe even rainbow are probably the most he can hope for in that timeframe.

Looks like he's not going to ride the ITT in Bergen after all in a week and a half. Doubt he would have beaten Dumo considering he's fully targeting it, but a silver medal would have been nice

(and you never know what could happen on the day)

Do you think next years Worlds in Innsbruck might be something he would look at? 5th Tour and rainbow jersey in the same year would be nice
jarvo

Re:

11 Sep 2017 08:27

Bardamu wrote:Nah it is crazy Froome isn't nr. 1, but give credit to van Avermaet for showing up the whole year, although some of the small Belgian races are giving way too many points.

Do you not think the leader of the World Tour should participate in more than 3 WT races?
User avatar Jagartrott

11 Sep 2017 08:35

Jagartrott wrote:
Bardamu wrote:Nah it is crazy Froome isn't nr. 1, but give credit to van Avermaet for showing up the whole year, although some of the small Belgian races are giving way too many points.

Do you not think the leader of the World Tour should participate in more than 3 WT races?
Yep, I meant at first glance it is crazy he is not nr 1. , but due to his lack of participance in other WT races also logical.

But the nr 1. should also win more big races than just PR.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

11 Sep 2017 09:17

Jagartrott wrote:

Well Froome has participated in 5

EDIT: MAke that 6th as he was in Cadel's race
del1962
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 09:43

OK Del, let's rephrase it as 'participate and be competitive in more than 3.5 WT races' (I'll give Cadel's race 0.5, and that's just because I'm generous). Point is, winning the World Tour should award riders that are competitive throughout the year - like Sagan, Valverde, etc. If Froome would like to win it, he'd have to focus on more than very few races - and that's how it should be IMO.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

11 Sep 2017 09:55

Jagartrott wrote:OK Del, let's rephrase it as 'participate and be competitive in more than 3.5 WT races' (I'll give Cadel's race 0.5, and that's just because I'm generous). Point is, winning the World Tour should award riders that are competitive throughout the year - like Sagan, Valverde, etc. If Froome would like to win it, he'd have to focus on more than very few races - and that's how it should be IMO.

You're kidding right? You can't seriously count a GT as 1 and the silly pair of mediocre Canadian races of the same weekend and profile as 2.
hazaran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 10:37

Jagartrott wrote:OK Del, let's rephrase it as 'participate and be competitive in more than 3.5 WT races' (I'll give Cadel's race 0.5, and that's just because I'm generous). Point is, winning the World Tour should award riders that are competitive throughout the year - like Sagan, Valverde, etc. If Froome would like to win it, he'd have to focus on more than very few races - and that's how it should be IMO.

No, winning the World Tour should award the riders with the biggest achievements that year.

I like that WT points are finally fair for stage winners, but the ranking remains a joke. Plouay worth more than Strade. Tour Down Under worth more than Catalunya and Pais Vasco. Canada worth the same as the monuments and more than E3, Fleche etc. People shouldn't even bother looking at it

11 Sep 2017 10:38

And fwiw, Froome has more race days this year than Sagan and 7 less than GVA

11 Sep 2017 11:11

I agree that the point system in general can be improved and that some races have been allocated too many points. But also using other systems, Froome would/should not win over an entire year - the WT is not 'biggest achievements', it's best overall in WT races. In PCS, Froome is currently 4th, for instance.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

11 Sep 2017 12:13

Jagartrott wrote:I agree that the point system in general can be improved and that some races have been allocated too many points. But also using other systems, Froome would/should not win over an entire year - the WT is not 'biggest achievements', it's best overall in WT races. In PCS, Froome is currently 4th, for instance.

Looking at the PCS rankings, how can Kristoff be a place higher than the guy that has won 2 grand tours? Off the top of my head I would say Kristoff has had a bang average season, and even he has said its not be a season that he had planned it to be
jarvo

11 Sep 2017 12:19

Time to start worrying, folks:

When asked whether it was possible to win all three Tours in one year, he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I wouldn't say it's impossible, nothing's impossible, but certainly it would take some doing."
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 12:25

TMP402 wrote:Time to start worrying, folks:

When asked whether it was possible to win all three Tours in one year, he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I wouldn't say it's impossible, nothing's impossible, but certainly it would take some doing."

I don't see any way he tries this until he has his 5th tour, then who knows? he could target it on a tour by tour basis in 2019, target the giro to complete the set then see how his prep goes for eac of the other tours? Realistically it will not happen, you need a perfect storm of form, fitness and luck not to crash or puncture etc. and there is no way they can keep a strong enough support team around him for all 3 tours, as that would require some of the others in Team Sky with grand tour ambitions dropping those ambitions to buy in on the process of fully supporting Froome for the whole calendar year
jarvo

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

11 Sep 2017 12:27

I think that's impossible. It would mean a 4 months peak form along with all the stars correctly aligned.
But if'd be nice if he went totally nuts and tried.
huge

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing