Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

13 May 2018 07:04

Scarponi wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:What I seemed to notice yesterday was all the other GC contenders was watching where Froome was. Even when slightly dropped none of them thought about working together to try and drop him big style. The only exception was Yates, who didn't need to try anything too early as Chaves was up the road. It was little digs from Froomes rivals gaining nothing and each afraid of dragging all the others to the finish. They missed a good opportunity yesterday to work together in the last 5k to possibly dislodge Froome as one of the favourites to podium, never mind the win. This could come back to haunt them later in the race. At this moment in time, I also believe Tom is doing just enough to stay within touching distance of the others, then to smash them in the TT and hang on during the 3rd week. Great win by MS, they have a really good chance to do something special in this race.

Exactly zero race awareness, Contador and Valverde would have smashed him at that point.

Yes, especially Valverde who has always been well known for hyper agressive climbing with repeated attacks.
dacooley

13 May 2018 15:02

He's going the same way as Quintana- not anywhere close to form at the Giro and will be cooked by the time Tour starts.
therealthing

13 May 2018 15:24

Quintana was way, way better than this.

Anyway, it's striking that no one's moving a finger to eliminate Froome once and for all. Part of me wants that to be everyone's undoing later on.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

13 May 2018 15:26

Froomey should drop the GC and go for a stage win.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

13 May 2018 15:28

hrotha wrote:Quintana was way, way better than this.

Anyway, it's striking that no one's moving a finger to eliminate Froome once and for all. Part of me wants that to be everyone's undoing later on.

Yep Quintana was a lot better than this. No way he is going to find form to come anywhere close to the podium, he will DNF.
bigcog

13 May 2018 15:34

So we might have to wait till next Saturday to see if his form is any better now, whereas if we only had to wait till Tuesday he might have pulled out if his form is still terrible. Will he wait it out till Zoncolan?
therealthing

13 May 2018 15:41

Froome was getting outclimbed by Rohan Dennis.

I mean cmon... he's done for
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

13 May 2018 15:41

I genuinely think it's not form. He was fine at Trentino, and on track. It's not like sky to mess up their prep so badly that he actually gets worse in those two weeks. He isn't at his best, no, but it's the crashes which have brought him low. I mean, we all knwo how badly he reacts to crashing.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

13 May 2018 15:42

hrotha wrote:Quintana was way, way better than this.

The wind looked pretty strong but i'm surprised that Froome only dropped a minute because he lost the first 30 seconds pretty quickly.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 May 2018 15:44

Brullnux wrote:I genuinely think it's not form. He was fine at Trentino, and on track. It's not like sky to mess up their prep so badly that he actually gets worse in those two weeks. He isn't at his best, no, but it's the crashes which have brought him low. I mean, we all knwo how badly he reacts to crashing.

I agree,and he did look slightly better on Etna, but either way I think his Giro is done for after today. He could come good in the final week and be one of the strongest, but he hasn’t shown the form to put massive time into anyone uphill for a while now.
User avatar Pricey_sky

13 May 2018 15:46

Just looking at Froome tells you he's too chubby to win the Giro. He can't win. He can't top 3.

For him the decision is drop a load of time and go for stages or or step off the bike before Rome.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

13 May 2018 15:50

Red Rick wrote:Just looking at Froome tells you he's too chubby to win the Giro. He can't win. He can't top 3.

For him the decision is drop a load of time and go for stages or or step off the bike before Rome.

He should step off tomorrow and prepare for the Tour unless he really thinks he can retrieve something from the race and he just had an off day.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 May 2018 15:52

I don't think he'll quit. Definitely not my favorite but the guy isn't a quitter, I'll say that for him. If he has a broken bone he'll quit but otherwise I think he has the guts to keep riding. Now he just needs to decide what he's riding for, as the win seems to be slipping away. There is still a podium or stages as possibilities.
Alberto Contador=Legend!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

13 May 2018 16:01

Wouldn't write off Froome yet. He needs to make about 2 mins on Dumoulin and 2.30 on Yates with a TT to go. Dumo isn't looking great and Yates will lose 1-1.30 in the TT. Today was the day after a crash on the exact same side he already crashed on and he's proven himself over 3 weeks multiple times along with being the only true stellar climber in this field.

Not looking good but would still give him similar chance of winning overall as Pinot personally
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re:

13 May 2018 16:04

PremierAndrew wrote:Wouldn't write off Froome yet. He needs to make about 2 mins on Dumoulin and 2.30 on Yates with a TT to go. Dumo isn't looking great and Yates will lose 1-1.30 in the TT. Today was the day after a crash on the exact same side he already crashed on and he's proven himself over 3 weeks multiple times along with being the only true stellar climber in this field.

Not looking good but would still give him similar chance of winning overall as Pinot personally

Dumoulin would have to crack in the mountains and Froome would have to win a stage and put time into Yates and co which is currently looking unlikely. Be interesting to see what Froome says after the stage about his effort today.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 May 2018 16:20

Winning this Giro would be his most impressive GT-win imho (weak team, minutes behind, outside-of-his-peak period, Italian appenninic crazy weather) and would definitely make me reconsider his likeability :p

Hopefully he's not thinking about doing an inverse Kittel or better..Quittel :D
User avatar 46&twoWheels

Re:

13 May 2018 18:55

PremierAndrew wrote:Wouldn't write off Froome yet. He needs to make about 2 mins on Dumoulin and 2.30 on Yates with a TT to go. Dumo isn't looking great and Yates will lose 1-1.30 in the TT. Today was the day after a crash on the exact same side he already crashed on and he's proven himself over 3 weeks multiple times along with being the only true stellar climber in this field.

Unfortunately not. It's not a result of crashes. Why? Look at a shape of the whole team.
Something went wrong in the whole traininig period. Poels&de la Cruz&Henao - with no shape. All of them should be at (or nearby) top10 at a stage like today's. Ellisonde was superb at Trentino but not now.
He should quit tomorrow, as well as Poels.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

14 May 2018 06:57

So will SDB pull the plug on the Giro & let Dawg recover for TdF?
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

14 May 2018 07:59

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:

Unfortunately not. It's not a result of crashes. Why? Look at a shape of the whole team.
Something went wrong in the whole traininig period. Poels&de la Cruz&Henao - with no shape. All of them should be at (or nearby) top10 at a stage like today's. Ellisonde was superb at Trentino but not now.
He should quit tomorrow, as well as Poels.

Henao looks in decent shape to me. And Poels broke his collarbone at Paris-Nice so it's hardly surprising he's off form.
Parker

14 May 2018 08:24

Chris Froome is spending this rest day trying to reach Vincenzo Nibali for private Voodoo lessons.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing