Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 May 2018 09:09

He's only in the Giro because of "them moneys".
He knew he'll not win it (maybe even calculated that it'll be stripped off anyway via reduced ban). TdF will be his 4th GT in a row so this is basically well overpaid Tour preparation imho.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

17 May 2018 09:20

He's going way too deep for this **** to be training.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

17 May 2018 09:52

Red Rick wrote:He's going way too deep for this **** to be training.

It's just a few deeper efforts (2-3 so far) and then fine amount of good race-days in a "racing tempo". Nothing damaging imho...
And if the amount circulating around (2 mil) is legit then it's worth it - it's like 1/3-1/2 of his annual salary probably.
It's just my impression of the whole picture... it kinda makes sense.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

17 May 2018 10:48

It would be kind of laughable if they really paid 2 mio just for turning up. Hell no. Them Italians only pay for a good show. At least he should finish the race I guess. An abandon for a good reason to me seems insurance business.
Pennino

17 May 2018 11:07

Does Flecha have any editorial input into his pre-stage Giro Extra script? Nice homage to Froome there.
User avatar wirral

Re:

17 May 2018 11:19

Pennino wrote:It would be kind of laughable if they really paid 2 mio just for turning up. Hell no. Them Italians only pay for a good show. At least he should finish the race I guess. An abandon for a good reason to me seems insurance business.

My impression was the fee was paid by Israelis :Question:
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

17 May 2018 11:47

Rumor goes the Vegni payed Sky and hence Brailsford demanded Froome to start the Giro d'Italia. While the Israeli tourism office indeed received the check for his appearance in the end.

That's how I understood it as well.
User avatar staubsauger

17 May 2018 12:04

Thing is, he clearly had to known in what shape he was and realized he can't think of winning it at that level. Or maybe he thought the fight won't start until the 2nd half (or final week) of the race...
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

18 May 2018 14:10

Big Doopie wrote: However, dear Tonton, in all of professional sports, very few champions leave on top without being humiliated (Muhammed Ali?).

Fair enough.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

18 May 2018 15:10

glassmoon wrote:Thing is, he clearly had to known in what shape he was and realized he can't think of winning it at that level. Or maybe he thought the fight won't start until the 2nd half (or final week) of the race...

I’ve seen other great champions claim to still have good form, claim that their build up in that season has worked out great, that their numbers are better than never. It seems to me like champions say these things even when they are clearly declining. I don’t think that they themselves really think they’re as good as ever. I also don’t think they’re really trying to lie… I don’t know what they’re thinking to be honest. Maybe it’s what they’re supposed to say to the media. Imagine them telling the whole world, yeah I’m not doing well this year, so you don’t have to worry about me in the grand tours where I’m supposed to shine. Let people think that even though you were slightly weaker than usual in the build up races, you’re still going to smash the competition when it really counts. The fear riders have of Froome might be the very thing causing them to be cautious and not attack him as ferociously as they would someone else.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 May 2018 15:45

Jspear wrote:
glassmoon wrote:Thing is, he clearly had to known in what shape he was and realized he can't think of winning it at that level. Or maybe he thought the fight won't start until the 2nd half (or final week) of the race...

I’ve seen other great champions claim to still have good form, claim that their build up in that season has worked out great, that their numbers are better than never. It seems to me like champions say these things even when they are clearly declining. I don’t think that they themselves really think they’re as good as ever. I also don’t think they’re really trying to lie… I don’t know what they’re thinking to be honest. Maybe it’s what they’re supposed to say to the media. Imagine them telling the whole world, yeah I’m not doing well this year, so you don’t have to worry about me in the grand tours where I’m supposed to shine. Let people think that even though you were slightly weaker than usual in the build up races, you’re still going to smash the competition when it really counts. The fear riders have of Froome might be the very thing causing them to be cautious and not attack him as ferociously as they would someone else.

True. Although remember, during this past off season Valverde and his friends were trying to tell anyone who would listen that his numbers were just as good as before the crash and he was trying to tell everyone he was feeling the same as the previous off season with training and almost no one actually believed him and his friends.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

19 May 2018 03:56

Red Rick wrote:He's going way too deep for this **** to be training.

Next two stages will decide. If he crumbles even more he might rethink continuing. He then misses a hard final week and gets more time than usual before the delayed Tour start this year and hopes for a good outcome in his case. The odds of him winning a stage in the final week if he doesn't show improvement on the next two stages are pretty minimal as are his chances of making the podium. If the outcome of the case doesn't go his way then the year is a write off and he can only hope to have a full season next year or most of a season and enough time to prepare for another tilt at the Tour.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 May 2018 15:28

What a ride by Chris Froome today!
Such tenacity and an attitude to win.
Thank you Froome for today! Epic ride.
Hugo Koblet wrote: Crazy thing is that this isn't even over for Froome yet. If Dumoulin cracks ala Vuelta '15 and Yates is indeed fading in the third week as expected, then Froome can still win this.
User avatar silvergrenade

19 May 2018 15:29

I knew he had it in him.
WHAT A CHAMPION!
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

19 May 2018 15:32

Chapeau for a dogged ride!
mymontventouxadventure.com
User avatar dutchdescent

19 May 2018 15:33

However you feel about him I think you have to take your hat off to him today. That was a big gutsy effort and even if the time differences are negligible for the overall that's a big stage to add to the palmares. Who knows, a strong time trial and a gamble that pays off elsewhere or other riders having a bad day and its not completely out of the question.
User avatar Eclipse

19 May 2018 15:33

Sigh, gotta wonder what might have been without that stupid crash
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re:

19 May 2018 15:46

PremierAndrew wrote:Sigh, gotta wonder what might have been without that stupid crash

Lets not go there.
As Froome always says,"I didnt have the legs"
Hugo Koblet wrote: Crazy thing is that this isn't even over for Froome yet. If Dumoulin cracks ala Vuelta '15 and Yates is indeed fading in the third week as expected, then Froome can still win this.
User avatar silvergrenade

19 May 2018 15:48

Stage 18 couldn't be more perfect for Froome, and the shallow gradient by all accounts isn't great for Dumo, who doesn't have a very strong team to support him either. Yates might start fading. And stages 19 and 20 are perfect for longer range attacks. This has real potential to end up as one of the greatest Grand Tours of modern times
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re: Re:

19 May 2018 15:52

silvergrenade wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:Sigh, gotta wonder what might have been without that stupid crash

Lets not go there.
As Froome always says,"I didnt have the legs"

Agree, lets leave that aside. He didn't have the legs..

Chapeau to Froome today, gotta respect greatness altho you don't necessarily like it.
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing