Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

07 Jul 2018 21:20

Ripper wrote:
rick james wrote:
thehog wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:Damn, just watched the crash from the GoPro footage. Froome is lucky he's still in the race!

Agreed. He was a bit stupid trying to ride into a gap that wasn’t there. He was hopelessly out of position as well and not at the front as he stated. He does tend to lie a bit.

stop talking crap, the gap was there, it was just unlucky, i know you'll blame froome for everything but the gap was there, it was just a racing moment

folk that want to see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUFU0CMoHc

That was pretty obviously a rapidly closing window. He was out of position, plain and simple. You make your own back luck in that type of situation.

Glad he missed nailing the post, as that would have been a horrible exit. Other than the timeloss, the grass softened any potential road rash!

Yep, if he had more room to his right it might have made some sense but it was stupid move with no road and fencing. I would also say no rider is going to give him space again.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

08 Jul 2018 01:08

Probably the most lucky rider in the entire peleton for 20 years, crashes so so so regularly and rarely gets an injury that forces him to stop.
Scarponi

08 Jul 2018 04:40

rick james wrote:but you agree the window was open :cool:

LOL, not quite. Think of it like a yellow light that you saw turning yellow and knew when it would turn red. It was obvious the window would be closed. Basically, of all the racers I've raced with, the only ones that would have thought that was an OK position were the ones who crashed regularly! It was a bad place to be and TBH, I was a bit surprised his team did not have him better protected.
User avatar Ripper

08 Jul 2018 06:35

Scarponi wrote:Probably the most lucky rider in the entire peleton for 20 years, crashes so so so regularly and rarely gets an injury that forces him to stop.

and you don't like it? :)
dacooley

08 Jul 2018 06:51

Ripper wrote:
rick james wrote:but you agree the window was open :cool:

LOL, not quite. Think of it like a yellow light that you saw turning yellow and knew when it would turn red. It was obvious the window would be closed. Basically, of all the racers I've raced with, the only ones that would have thought that was an OK position were the ones who crashed regularly! It was a bad place to be and TBH, I was a bit surprised his team did not have him better protected.

Agree with the last bit, leaving him hanging out on the outside of the group with the numerous hazards in the last 10k did seem pretty poor by the team.

But I guess it's not always as easy as it seems to pick your spot in the group when everyone's fighting for those 'safe' positions...
brownbobby

08 Jul 2018 09:01

dacooley wrote:
Scarponi wrote:Probably the most lucky rider in the entire peleton for 20 years, crashes so so so regularly and rarely gets an injury that forces him to stop.

and you don't like it? :)

Bad crashes for Froome

2010 Romandie prologue
2014 Dauphinine - ultimately lost him race
2014 Tour after riding on had to pull out due to it the next day
2015 Vuelta rode on to end of stage put had to pull out

So that’s 3 that forced him to stop and the other cost him the race
del1962
Veteran

08 Jul 2018 12:44

brownbobby wrote:Agree with the last bit, leaving him hanging out on the outside of the group with the numerous hazards in the last 10k did seem pretty poor by the team.

But I guess it's not always as easy as it seems to pick your spot in the group when everyone's fighting for those 'safe' positions...

Oh, it's definitely not easy! That's where the team is helpful, especially in territory that is not perhaps a GT riders specialty. It is also why racing one day races on similar terrain becomes all the more important. Both help!

Anywho, like Froome or not, he dodged a bullet with that crash and for me, I'm always glad when folks don't get hurt if they crash.

Off topic but Craddock ... ouch!
User avatar Ripper

09 Jul 2018 11:47

He was inches from hitting that post! If he had hit it that surely would have ended his race.
buchanan

11 Jul 2018 19:54

Not impressed by Froome today.
He started the climb in the best possible position and couldn't keep Bernal's wheel at the steep 500m.
Probably will lose some seconds tomorrow.
Ataraxus

Re:

11 Jul 2018 20:03

Ataraxus wrote:Not impressed by Froome today.
He started the climb in the best possible position and couldn't keep Bernal's wheel at the steep 500m.
Probably will lose some seconds tomorrow.

Absolutely not. His goal are 2nd&3rd week, when he tries to break his 80.3 km record.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

11 Jul 2018 20:44

Any Croatian guy to destroy Vroome at TdF? :lol:
User avatar lartiste

11 Jul 2018 20:55

Chris looked like Froome today.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

11 Jul 2018 21:10

Red Rick wrote:Chris looked like Froome today.

Yes. Very.
bambino

Re:

11 Jul 2018 21:32

lartiste wrote:Any Croatian guy to destroy Vroome at TdF? :lol:

Kiserlovski was the first to crash out today

Not that he's done anything in several years
User avatar GuyIncognito

11 Jul 2018 23:00

GuyIncognito wrote:
lartiste wrote:Any Croatian guy to destroy Vroome at TdF? :lol:

Kiserlovski was the first to crash out today

Not that he's done anything in several years

Durasek is the only one left.

Not that he's done anything in several years.
User avatar tobydawq

12 Jul 2018 04:12

froome being prone to yoyoing and closing gaps gradually, taking care of every single watt makes him completely unreadable. having ridden the giro doubles up this unreadability. the only thing im 100% assured is he won't manage to perform on a consistently high level in the tour. There will be off- and on-days. So probably regular yoyoing session incoming on mur-de-bretagne.
dacooley

12 Jul 2018 05:31

He’s had his on-off grand tour for the year.... that was the giro..expect his climbing to be Vuelta 2017 level, he will match all the others and kill them in the TT.
rick james

12 Jul 2018 05:32

That might be a dream but still...let me dream
rick james

12 Jul 2018 08:27

The Giro/Tour double is much harder than the others simply because so many of the GT riders are coming into the Tour with fresh legs while Froome and Dumoulin are not. Maybe it's not impossible but I think it's unlikely. I don't think the one week extra break will make much difference. Plus the Giro was not an easy edition. Froome had to fight hard to win it.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

12 Jul 2018 09:44

rick james wrote:He’s had his on-off grand tour for the year.... that was the giro..expect his climbing to be Vuelta 2017 level, he will match all the others and kill them in the TT.

He was well positioned and then kinda went backwards on the steep part.

It's something he has done a lot of times on finishes where there's no time gaps anyway. I don't read anything into it. Mur de Bretagne will tell us more, but I don't expect time gaps apart from maybe a few seconds of most GT contenders to those who sprint for the win.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing