Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Jul 2018 03:08

Froome might want to peak later in the race but that is when the fatigue factor should kick in as well. Contador and others have mentioned it after attempting the double. Aiming to be good for the third week is fine but maybe not in consecutive grand tours. After a break his legs should be okay at the moment but the accumulated racing will have to have some sort of effect. Whether it's enough to hurt his chances or whether others can take advantage of it is another thing. They will have to be more aggressive in the mountains than last year and Froome was comforted by the fact that the best climber in the race was riding in front of him, Uran rode for a podium without taking too many risks and Bardet was not good enough to maintain the gaps he opened up in the mountains plus his usual TT issues.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Jul 2018 04:13

movingtarget wrote:Froome might want to peak later in the race but that is when the fatigue factor should kick in as well. Contador and others have mentioned it after attempting the double. Aiming to be good for the third week is fine but maybe not in consecutive grand tours. After a break his legs should be okay at the moment but the accumulated racing will have to have some sort of effect. Whether it's enough to hurt his chances or whether others can take advantage of it is another thing. They will have to be more aggressive in the mountains than last year and Froome was comforted by the fact that the best climber in the race was riding in front of him, Uran rode for a podium without taking too many risks and Bardet was not good enough to maintain the gaps he opened up in the mountains plus his usual TT issues.

Erm, did last tour have an obvious best climber in the race?
except for porte, there are no contenders without TT issues this time either. I wouldn't look back at contador's and quintana's attempts indefinetely. contador was very competitive in the 2011 tour and had a decent chance to pull it off. Quintana, inspite of having 2 gts under his belt, has never been regarded a rider of AC/CF level. On top of that what Froome did in stage 19 of the Giro will always cause some hope to until the end.
Last edited by dacooley on 13 Jul 2018 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
dacooley

13 Jul 2018 06:09

An intriguing question is how the gap to Thomas gets closed. Judging by Thomas's form in the Dauphine, Froome will have to do it himself in the mountains.
Bolder

Re:

13 Jul 2018 06:23

Bolder wrote:An intriguing question is how the gap to Thomas gets closed. Judging by Thomas's form in the Dauphine, Froome will have to do it himself in the mountains.

I don't think sky are too much concerned about froome or thomas is going to win the tour. froome having an unique opportunity to grab 4th consecutive gt is his personal issue. almost certainly they will be riding the alps everyone for himself and then decide how to manage the effort come to pyrenees.
dacooley

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

13 Jul 2018 06:48

deValtos wrote:He gambled a little and got caught behind the split by riding conservatively and then had to try and come across the gap when he realised hence why he finished on his own inbetween the groups. At least that's my take.

Obviously though not in the form he was when he was sprinting up Mur du Huy but I expect that's not part of the plan doing the double.

He might've stayed in the main group had he not ride behind Valverde. When Bala opened his sprint he was instantly dropped and couldn't recover.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

13 Jul 2018 06:58

Bolder wrote:An intriguing question is how the gap to Thomas gets closed. Judging by Thomas's form in the Dauphine, Froome will have to do it himself in the mountains.

Well, not exactly, it would be initiated by some other contenders.
Next Tue-Thr no doubt we will have some attacks and Sky Doms will try to cancel them.
Finally there would be Bernal, CF & GT following Porte/Nibali/Quintana, and GT will crack.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re: Re:

13 Jul 2018 09:07

dacooley wrote:

I don't think sky are too much concerned about froome or thomas is going to win the tour. froome having an unique opportunity to grab 4th consecutive gt is his personal issue. almost certainly they will be riding the alps everyone for himself and then decide how to manage the effort come to pyrenees.

I agree. Froome obviously want to win himself, but for Team Sky it's probably a little better publicity if they could win it with Thomas instead.

That doesn't mean they're gonna screw Froome over, just that they'll keep both in play until they hit the mountains at least.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jul 2018 10:25

Is Thomas more of a chance to win a grand tour than Porte or Uran or Bardet etc...... ? I wouldn't think so even if he is in a good position at the moment. The Dauphine result is meaningless. Plenty of riders can do well in one week races and not three week ones.Even if Thomas finishes say in the top five this year, he will find it even harder when he leaves Sky to ride for a much weaker team. I'd be surprised if he made the podium and like Porte, first he has to finish the race. Both are good TT riders but both are unpredictable with bike handling. Froome will have to drop another few minutes before leadership is discussed.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Jul 2018 10:47

movingtarget wrote:Is Thomas more of a chance to win a grand tour than Porte or Uran or Bardet etc...... ? I wouldn't think so even if he is in a good position at the moment. The Dauphine result is meaningless. Plenty of riders can do well in one week races and not three week ones.Even if Thomas finishes say in the top five this year, he will find it even harder when he leaves Sky to ride for a much weaker team. I'd be surprised if he made the podium and like Porte, first he has to finish the race. Both are good TT riders but both are unpredictable with bike handling. Froome will have to drop another few minutes before leadership is discussed.

Having an average back up plan is better than having no back up plan.

I wonder if Bernal will have to wait on the cobbles? If all of Froome, Bernal and Thomas make it over the cobbles relatively unscathed they can really create a tactical nightmare for the other teams
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Jul 2018 14:39

Red Rick wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Is Thomas more of a chance to win a grand tour than Porte or Uran or Bardet etc...... ? I wouldn't think so even if he is in a good position at the moment. The Dauphine result is meaningless. Plenty of riders can do well in one week races and not three week ones.Even if Thomas finishes say in the top five this year, he will find it even harder when he leaves Sky to ride for a much weaker team. I'd be surprised if he made the podium and like Porte, first he has to finish the race. Both are good TT riders but both are unpredictable with bike handling. Froome will have to drop another few minutes before leadership is discussed.

Having an average back up plan is better than having no back up plan.

I wonder if Bernal will have to wait on the cobbles? If all of Froome, Bernal and Thomas make it over the cobbles relatively unscathed they can really create a tactical nightmare for the other teams

Yeah the cobbles will be a nervous stage for most of the GC riders and with the inevitable punctures and falls it will be very interesting to see who waits for who on some teams. Thomas obviously wouldn't be waiting for Froome unless it was absolutely necessary and Froome was down on team mates. Froome's climbing form is going to be the big query I think as the race goes on. Last year he wasn't too convincing but towards the end of the race he looked better and carried that form into the Vuelta but that's without the Giro in his legs. I think Bernal would probably wait and could still be factor for them in the mountains. Riders like Porte and Bardet have to be aggressive in the second week and Movistar of course especially if Froome's climbing is a bit off like it was in the first half of the Giro. Dan Martin could also be a good ally for them. He's not afraid to attack even if he often pays for it at the end of the stage. Nibali of course will be looking for signs of weakness as well.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Jul 2018 19:01

If he makes it still in contention, more or less, Stage 11 with a summit finish, will probably be an auger of things to come, vis-vis his fitness. Stage 12 will be the big test, I think
Frihed89

13 Jul 2018 22:11

dacooley wrote:

Somewhere along the way, a situation will/may arise where Froome and Thomas are in a group in the mountains, a GC threat attacks, and Sky have to decide whether Chris or G has to do the bulk of the chasing. It may even come up on Sunday.
Leinster

13 Jul 2018 22:23

Leinster wrote:
dacooley wrote:

Somewhere along the way, a situation will/may arise where Froome and Thomas are in a group in the mountains, a GC threat attacks, and Sky have to decide whether Chris or G has to do the bulk of the chasing. It may even come up on Sunday.

The same kind of discussion as in Geraint Thomas thread.. :confused: .
Do you all really think that Sky will hesitate what to do? With Froome only ca. 1 min behind Thomas?
Thomas will lose minutes between next Tuesday-Thursday..

EDIT: maybe before UCI verdict Sky would have some doubts what to do, but not now.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

13 Jul 2018 22:45

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Leinster wrote:
dacooley wrote:

The same kind of discussion as in Geraint Thomas thread.. :confused: .
Do you all really think that Sky will hesitate what to do? With Froome only ca. 1 min behind Thomas?
Thomas will lose minutes between next Tuesday-Thursday..

EDIT: maybe before UCI verdict Sky would have some doubts what to do, but not now.

Agreed entirely.

Sky have never yet allowed any other rider to put their own interests above those of their main Tour leader, no matter how good. Froome, Porte, Landa, whoever. If another guy is above you in their plan, you may be held in reserve as a plan B but that’s it. As soon as your services become more useful than holding you in reserve, you go to work.

Sky exist to win the Tour. Froome has won four Tours and the last 3 GTs. Froome is still their main man and will remain so until and unless he is truly out of contention.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

14 Jul 2018 03:08

I should have added “and as soon as that situation comes about I’m quite sure they will put G to work.”

I don’t think that’s cast in stone, though. There was a stage early in the 2015 Vuelta where Froome told Nico Roche to follow a move if he wanted. It didn’t come to anything, but it was a chance, and Froome was happy to let someone else on the team take advantage of it.

Obviously though, it meant Froome was calling the shots. And a Vuelta is different to a Tour.
Leinster

14 Jul 2018 03:16

argh, guys. thomas won't drop minutes on next tuesday-thuersday, give him some credit. I admit this time he's really ready and fit to finish on some spot between 5th or 10th. nonetheless the likelihood of him being able to outclimb froome and take over team leadership is quite small.
dacooley

14 Jul 2018 05:51

If anyone thinks that Froome is not Sky's leader at TdF then you're believing SDB's spiel.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Jul 2018 06:37

How much time can Froome put into Thomas in say the last TT? It would be interesting to see the outcome if Froome was within touching distance. Obviously it would depend on energy levels left from the mountain s.
wheresmybrakes

14 Jul 2018 06:46

wheresmybrakes wrote:How much time can Froome put into Thomas in say the last TT? It would be interesting to see the outcome if Froome was within touching distance. Obviously it would depend on energy levels left from the mountain s.

Negative time. Thomas is the better TTer these days.
User avatar tobydawq

14 Jul 2018 07:15

Unless Froome crashes, I don't see any reason why be wouldn't be ahead of Thomas in GC by the third week.
User avatar SHAD0W93

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing