Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

14 Jul 2018 07:53

tobydawq wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:How much time can Froome put into Thomas in say the last TT? It would be interesting to see the outcome if Froome was within touching distance. Obviously it would depend on energy levels left from the mountain s.

Negative time. Thomas is the better TTer these days.

at the business end of a grand tour??? we have no proof of that
rick james

14 Jul 2018 08:04

rick james wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
wheresmybrakes wrote:How much time can Froome put into Thomas in say the last TT? It would be interesting to see the outcome if Froome was within touching distance. Obviously it would depend on energy levels left from the mountain s.

That's a fair objection. But Froome might not be at his strongest either at that point, considering the Giro. Even though he wants to peak in the last week.
User avatar tobydawq

14 Jul 2018 09:19

rick james wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

What's the last time Thomas even made it to a 3rd week ITT?

I'm pretty sure the final ITT is hilly enough to negate most of Thomas' advantage anyway. If Froome doesn't crumble and is actually in the GC fight, he won't lose major time to Thomas in that ITT
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

14 Jul 2018 10:04

Leinster wrote:
dacooley wrote:
Bolder wrote:An intriguing question is how the gap to Thomas gets closed. Judging by Thomas's form in the Dauphine, Froome will have to do it himself in the mountains.

I don't think sky are too much concerned about froome or thomas is going to win the tour. froome having an unique opportunity to grab 4th consecutive gt is his personal issue. almost certainly they will be riding the alps everyone for himself and then decide how to manage the effort come to pyrenees.

Somewhere along the way, a situation will/may arise where Froome and Thomas are in a group in the mountains, a GC threat attacks, and Sky have to decide whether Chris or G has to do the bulk of the chasing. It may even come up on Sunday.

Sky (with Froome) has taken different approaches to, and has had different experiences in, handling mountain attacks in the past. Sometimes, just the support riders go and Froome tails. Sometimes, he is in their with them as a group. Sometimes, in the first case, Froome has failed to keep up, and backs off, rests, and then charges back to join a bit later. But this may be a different Tour for Froome, given he rode and won the Giro. I am sure Brailsford and the team riders will discuss all the options and have a pretty dynamic plan in place before each mountain stage that can also be adjusted as the situation changes. I frankly don't see Thomas becoming the Captain, unless Froome collapses big time. Brailsford will probably try to keep them both in contention as long as they are both able to keep up (and they would do that best as a pair).
Frihed89

14 Jul 2018 12:53

Frihed89 wrote:
Leinster wrote:
dacooley wrote:
Bolder wrote:An intriguing question is how the gap to Thomas gets closed. Judging by Thomas's form in the Dauphine, Froome will have to do it himself in the mountains.

I don't think sky are too much concerned about froome or thomas is going to win the tour. froome having an unique opportunity to grab 4th consecutive gt is his personal issue. almost certainly they will be riding the alps everyone for himself and then decide how to manage the effort come to pyrenees.

Somewhere along the way, a situation will/may arise where Froome and Thomas are in a group in the mountains, a GC threat attacks, and Sky have to decide whether Chris or G has to do the bulk of the chasing. It may even come up on Sunday.

Sky (with Froome) has taken different approaches to, and has had different experiences in, handling mountain attacks in the past. Sometimes, just the support riders go and Froome tails. Sometimes, he is in their with them as a group. Sometimes, in the first case, Froome has failed to keep up, and backs off, rests, and then charges back to join a bit later. But this may be a different Tour for Froome, given he rode and won the Giro. I am sure Brailsford and the team riders will discuss all the options and have a pretty dynamic plan in place before each mountain stage that can also be adjusted as the situation changes. I frankly don't see Thomas becoming the Captain, unless Froome collapses big time. Brailsford will probably try to keep them both in contention as long as they are both able to keep up (and they would do that best as a pair).

+100
I would imagine Geraint attacking from the Froome group or both of them following wheels.
Neither will hit the front and ride tempo unless any one loses serious time.
Totally depends on how it plays out. Froome and Thomas have a good relationship, which is a huge positive.
Froome could've easily vetoed Thomas out of the Tour team; hell even Sky.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

14 Jul 2018 20:08

What happens if Thomas is up front tomorrow with let's say Valverde and Nibali, and Froome is behind? Will Sky work to catch them?
User avatar Blanco

Re:

14 Jul 2018 20:10

Blanco wrote:What happens if Thomas is up front tomorrow with let's say Valverde and Nibali, and Froome is behind? Will Sky work to catch them?

Yes.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

15 Jul 2018 08:11

Oliwright wrote:trust me saddle sores can be debilitating, it depends how big they are.

This is the quote "Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) has the comparative advantage, this is the terrain he can exploit better than the rest, especially since Chris Froome has a saddle sore and that’s not going to heal today and Sky will look to deploy all their riders to shake things up."

The BBC have also reported this to be the case. Apparently, it's pea sized and Froome's had it all season...

However, again as people have mention, Froome had a saddle soar at the Giro and it improved. Froome looked very good in the TTT. But it is a concern, however I still worry much much more for Nairo.

After the Tour Vuelta double:
From: https://cpofficial.com/chris-froome-reveals-literally-interview/

You imagine saddle sores might cause a few issues during a 21-stage race like the Tour de France and they certainly seem to have caused Froome some grief at this year’s edition.

“They are the bane of a cyclist’s life. They are like toothache, gnawing away at you all day, sapping your concentration. I really struggled in this year’s Tour. It became such a problem I ended up taking down my saddle a centimetre and a half over three weeks, which is a massive chunk for a pro.

“That compromised my power output because I wasn’t in the best position but I had a pressure point and I had to relieve it. By the time of the Vuelta, I found these blister pads. They are meant for feet but, happily, they worked. I could push without pain.”
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

15 Jul 2018 08:44

Saddle sores, hot weather and cobbles do not make for a good combination.
User avatar Jagartrott

15 Jul 2018 11:57

dacooley wrote:
Scarponi wrote:Probably the most lucky rider in the entire peleton for 20 years, crashes so so so regularly and rarely gets an injury that forces him to stop.

and you don't like it? :)

Didn't mean it like that big boy, just saying for a bloke who makes as many mistakes as he does every single race he gets really lucky
Scarponi

15 Jul 2018 14:47

Kwiato crashed. Moscon crashed and brought down Froome too. it could have been bad.
luckily they rejoined and Froome didnt lose time. he had to push to be on front in the last 20 Ks you could see him zig-zagging ( ;) ) on some cobbles sectors.
all in all a good day, all things considered
pastronef

15 Jul 2018 14:49

After the crashes and his support was gone, I saw Froome slipping through the group at every cobble stroke. I think he can quietly be very very happy with this end result. Now in pole position once again. (yeah I know some people are 10/20s in front, but really, Froome is the reference)
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

15 Jul 2018 14:55

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:After the crashes and his support was gone, I saw Froome slipping through the group at every cobble stroke. I think he can quietly be very very happy with this end result. Now in pole position once again. (yeah I know some people are 10/20s in front, but really, Froome is the reference)

same here, from the crash when just he and Thomas remained, he was in the back of the group until the last sector. I agree, he can be very happy. they were going all out to Mons en Pevele when Moscon crashed, they wanted to drill it. so from attacking it became defense mode.

happy to finish unscathed https://twitter.com/TeamSky/status/1018502299747045376
pastronef

15 Jul 2018 19:35

Froome is defo the favourite for this Tour now.

Talk about potential Vuelta attempt in 2018 too, Sky ought to take it one step at a time
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re:

15 Jul 2018 19:43

PremierAndrew wrote:Froome is defo the favourite for this Tour now.

Talk about potential Vuelta attempt in 2018 too, Sky ought to take it one step at a time

Uhm wasn't the 2nd part of the race always going to be the biggest challenge considering he is doubling up? Who even expected him to lose time in the first part?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

15 Jul 2018 19:47

LaFlorecita wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:Froome is defo the favourite for this Tour now.

Uhm wasn't the 2nd part of the race always going to be the biggest challenge considering he is doubling up? Who even expected him to lose time in the first part?

Yes but Porte is out, Landa crashed hard today, Quintana is a fair bit down. He is probably roughly where he expected at this point, but after the first day, he could have been in a much worse position
User avatar PremierAndrew

15 Jul 2018 21:04

Uhm, he is basically in yellow right now. Look at the scrubs in front of him: van Avermaet, Gilbert, Jungels: gone Tuesday. Thomas Geraint, Valverde, Majka, Fuglsang: dropped Thursday the latest.
hazaran

Re:

15 Jul 2018 21:12

hazaran wrote:Uhm, he is basically in yellow right now. Look at the scrubs in front of him: van Avermaet, Gilbert, Jungels: gone Tuesday. Thomas Geraint, Valverde, Majka, Fuglsang: dropped Thursday the latest.

Oh, no ;)
User avatar Blanco

15 Jul 2018 21:17

More easy than I thought. All these Valverdes/Nibalis/Dumos are comical.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

15 Jul 2018 21:19

Blanco wrote:
hazaran wrote:Uhm, he is basically in yellow right now. Look at the scrubs in front of him: van Avermaet, Gilbert, Jungels: gone Tuesday. Thomas Geraint, Valverde, Majka, Fuglsang: dropped Thursday the latest.

Oh, no ;)

Theres a reason the guy doesn't win GTs. Every time we get to altitude he collapses. That's before you even consider he also randomly collapses, like the other 2nd rate GC guys (hello Majka, Fuglsang, G..)

And well, that's the set complete.
hazaran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing