Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

15 Jun 2019 17:43

Koronin wrote:The more that comes out the more horrific the crash appears to be. I hope he's able to recover enough that he can lead a "normal" life and at least be able to ride his bike again for enjoyment. He may race again, but it's highly unlikely he'll ever reach the level he was at before the crash.

Yeah, I found it extremely odd that CN had an article where one of the surgeons (or doctors or whatever) that had operated on him had said that he could return stronger than ever in 6 months.

How could that be possible? Why even say that?
User avatar tobydawq

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2019 18:19

tobydawq wrote:
Koronin wrote:The more that comes out the more horrific the crash appears to be. I hope he's able to recover enough that he can lead a "normal" life and at least be able to ride his bike again for enjoyment. He may race again, but it's highly unlikely he'll ever reach the level he was at before the crash.

Yeah, I found it extremely odd that CN had an article where one of the surgeons (or doctors or whatever) that had operated on him had said that he could return stronger than ever in 6 months.

How could that be possible? Why even say that?

These interviews with medical experts who treat athletes always strike me as super weird. Shouldn't medical records be secret?

I guess journalists just pushed the surgeon really hard for answers and he did a bad job at trying to give some reassurance.

Similar thing with pictures like this. People always just end up looking super drugged out.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

15 Jun 2019 18:29

So at best he's looking at 6 months off the bike? What methods can be implemented to prevent muscular atrophy during that time?
Amazinmets87

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

15 Jun 2019 20:26

PremierAndrew wrote:

The reports of all the horrific fractures and Dan Martin's account of the crash, it's truly becoming more and more apparent that Froome is perhaps lucky to be alive. All wishes for a full recovery

Average blood volume is about 70 ml/kg in normal human. Considering he is an athlete, because of all hormonal adaptations during efforts, it is probably a bit larger. So it might be around 5 liters, maybe 6, for Froome.

Anyway this really depends how fast you loose blood and if the volume is replaced (not necessary with blood). I'm not exactly sure where, but I've read that he lost 2 liters during operation, so the volume has been replaced. Also, younger and fit people are able to tolerate blood loss for a longer time, although that might be "misleading" as they suddenly deteriorate.

Anyway best of luck to Froome.
nogav1ca

15 Jun 2019 21:04

Anybody read this guy?

https://twitter.com/MCaseum

Its hilarious.
diegocamilo410

16 Jun 2019 02:02

Agree that the more that comes out about this crash, the more one just feels a basic humanity for the old Dawg. Compound fracture of the femur is just horrific. I suppose that if he does come back and win a 5th, a lot of people will actually be rooting for him instead of against him, myself included.
User avatar The Hegelian

Re:

16 Jun 2019 07:46

diegocamilo410 wrote:Anybody read this guy?

Its hilarious.

Jesus Christ, someone should link him to the Clinic, he would love it over there
rick james

Re:

16 Jun 2019 08:51

diegocamilo410 wrote:Anybody read this guy?

Its hilarious.

I couldn’t help but have a chuckle to myself. Some very ‘interesting’ fairytales there.
User avatar Pricey_sky

17 Jun 2019 12:34

In a german newspaper Froome was quoted as saying he considers himself lucky to be here, implying his life was indeed in danger.

Obviously I wish him all the best and a full recovery, but also - and a few years ago I wouldn't have dreamt saying that - I'm hoping for a return from the sports/entertainment perspective. I didn't like how he appeared out of nowhere to conquer everything, how he ridiculously spins at 1000rpm on a seemingly much too small bike to destroy everything on Ventoux, PSM, you name it, but I must say he very much grew on me. He seems determined like few others, takes every opportunity which lead to great moments, and after all just makes bike racing so much more interesting (ignoring the train for a minute): I was laughing in disbelief and frustration in tour 2013, I didn't believe my eyes when he ran up ventoux, the yoyo-stuff alone makes him one of a kind, even if I have hated and loved it, and finally even fully cheered for him in the girostage.

Would this be a novel, this dramatic end would somehow be fitting to such a dramatic career, ending as sudden and inexplicable as it "began" in 2011. But I hope this isn't it.

Get well soon!
Cassirer

17 Jun 2019 19:55

Let's keep the conspiracy theories in the Clinic shall we.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

17 Jun 2019 20:01

Red Rick wrote:Let's keep the conspiracy theories in the Clinic shall we.

I don’t understand why we are dealing with these nut jobs...they should stick to Twitter, they are insulting all true cyclic fans with their tinfoil hat material
rick james

17 Jun 2019 20:15

I am a big cycling fan myself, watching for 40 years or so. I just find it weird that we cannot even discuss that we have no evidence really of his wounds. Which is what is keeping froome from the TdF. Not backing any theory here, just like to see some more real facts.
Swingtop

Re:

17 Jun 2019 20:32

Swingtop wrote:I am a big cycling fan myself, watching for 40 years or so. I just find it weird that we cannot even discuss that we have no evidence really of his wounds. Which is what is keeping froome from the TdF. Not backing any theory here, just like to see some more real facts.

I agree. I don't adhere to the conspiracy theories but I also think it is super weird that we are obviously being given misinformation about the extent of his injuries.

There are a few examples but the most striking one is that it has now been widely reported that he had a compound fracture of the femur. I am not sure if that information has come from Ineos but if not then they certainly haven't corrected it if it is wrong. However the surgeon then said he could be back stronger than ever in six months. This is not remotely possible with a compound femur fracture.

Unfortunately journalists seem more interested in feeding the brush with death followed by superhuman comeback narrative rather than finding out the truth about his injuries.
The Barb

17 Jun 2019 20:40

User avatar Poursuivant

17 Jun 2019 20:46

The Barb wrote:
Swingtop wrote:I am a big cycling fan myself, watching for 40 years or so. I just find it weird that we cannot even discuss that we have no evidence really of his wounds. Which is what is keeping froome from the TdF. Not backing any theory here, just like to see some more real facts.

I agree. I don't adhere to the conspiracy theories but I also think it is super weird that we are obviously being given misinformation about the extent of his injuries.

There are a few examples but the most striking one is that it has now been widely reported that he had a compound fracture of the femur. I am not sure if that information has come from Ineos but if not then they certainly haven't corrected it if it is wrong. However the surgeon then said he could be back stronger than ever in six months. This is not remotely possible with a compound femur fracture.

Unfortunately journalists seem more interested in feeding the brush with death followed by superhuman comeback narrative rather than finding out the truth about his injuries.

It's likely he was referring to the bone it's self and not the rider coming back stronger. Froome coming back stronger is not possible at all with the injury he has in the first place. Also Phinney's doctor said he may never race again. Stetina's doctor said his injury was career threatening. The German doctors who dealt with both Valverde and I Izagirre said that Izagirre had a career threatening injury while they felt Valverde would be OK as long as he didn't have any set backs.

I'm not entirely sure Ineos has actually said exactly what Froome's actual injuries are. However, if it's accurate that he's going to be in the hospital for 6 weeks, he's not starting rehab anytime soon.
User avatar Koronin

17 Jun 2019 21:17

why did my comment get removed?
mymontventouxadventure.com
User avatar dutchdescent

Re:

18 Jun 2019 14:14

Poursuivant wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1140694839559892992

That was nothing but a quick reminder that froome blocked me on twitter. Can anyone post what it says? :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

18 Jun 2019 14:39

Gigs_98 wrote:
Poursuivant wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1140694839559892992

That was nothing but a quick reminder that froome blocked me on twitter. Can anyone post what it says? :D

Looking at my post-op scans like....

and a GIF of Arnie as the terminator saying ‘I’ll be back’
User avatar Pricey_sky

05 Jul 2019 05:58

Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

05 Jul 2019 15:45

He looks really good!!!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing