Register

Philippe Gilbert Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

17 Apr 2017 20:32

I pray that he somehow will be able to ride Sunday. Would love to see this Gilbert ride away over all those Phils:

Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

18 Apr 2017 07:44

When is the last time a rider has attacked as far out as Côte de La Redoute?

It seems like the pace has been relatively slow on that climb for at least a decade since it's 40k out.

Nibali attacking from 20k out in 2012 is the closest we get.
Velolover2

18 Apr 2017 10:41

As far as I remember, Andy attacked there in 2009. Or was that Roche Aux Faucons? Anyways, its a very sad trend that they really aren't using Redoute as its one of the absolute best climbs in cycling.. certainly in Northern Europe, at least.

It could be funny to try to experiment with a new finish or taking out Roche and/or Nicholas to make Redoute count and make a new finale where Redoute will be the centrepiece and THE place to attack. Basically the Amstel approach.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

18 Apr 2017 11:15

Netserk wrote:I pray that he somehow will be able to ride Sunday. Would love to see this Gilbert ride away over all those Phils:

I would stop dreaming. It's not even certain he'll be back on time for the Giro.
Valanga

18 Apr 2017 15:00

QS twitter - Unfortunately @PhilippeGilbert is out from the #Giro as consequence of his #AGR crash.

http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/philippe-gilbert-update/3122
can3478

Re:

18 Apr 2017 16:54

Velolover2 wrote:When is the last time a rider has attacked as far out as Côte de La Redoute?

It seems like the pace has been relatively slow on that climb for at least a decade since it's 40k out.

Nibali attacking from 20k out in 2012 is the closest we get.

Vinokourov and Voigt over 50 kms from the line
User avatar Billie

Re:

18 Apr 2017 18:07

can3478 wrote:QS twitter - Unfortunately @PhilippeGilbert is out from the #Giro as consequence of his #AGR crash.

http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/philippe-gilbert-update/3122

Damn... that was pretty much all that was left for the second part of his season... Lombardia will probably be too heavy again and the WC is far from a guaranteed success. In the Giro chances were high he was going to win one or more stages. Tour is a boring race and doesn't suit him, especially with Kittel in the race. Even in his wonder year he only won one Tour stage.

Classics really need to be spread out more over the season... Make Paris-Tours WT again because now it doesn't have a lot of prestige anymore. And I would move Strade Bianche to the Autumn as well, 1 October would be a good date. In between the WC and Lombardia, so it would definitely attract a stellar field. I'd move Paris-Tours to 15 October.

Then we'd have a high profile race every week from 24 September to 15 October.

24 September: WC RR
1 October: Strade Bianche
7 October: Lombardia
15 October: Paris-Tours

Giro dell'Emilia would also make a good WT race. But where to place it?
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

19 Apr 2017 20:44

Just found out Gilbert's mother is of Spanish origin. So he's kind of half Spanish lol.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

19 Apr 2017 20:59

I'd rather have Emilia on the week before Lombardia and Strade at it's current date.

With Milano Torino and Gran Piemonte also scheduled mid week in October, it brings a nice block of racing.
User avatar the asian

Re:

19 Apr 2017 21:34

the asian wrote:I'd rather have Emilia on the week before Lombardia and Strade at it's current date.

With Milano Torino and Gran Piemonte also scheduled mid week in October, it brings a nice block of racing.

I feel like those two races don't really have the prestige to become WT. They're semi-classics and should remain that way imo. They're fun little distractions. Nothing more, nothing less. Gran Piemonte is a dumb name however, they should change it back to the Giro del Piemonte. It would be great to see Gilbert at the start again though. One more victory would make him shared record holder. Emilia has an iconic finish in San Luca, so that would make sense to include in the WT, at least to me.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

19 Apr 2017 21:38

Switch P-T and Lombardia ;)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 Apr 2017 22:02

El Pistolero wrote:
can3478 wrote:QS twitter - Unfortunately @PhilippeGilbert is out from the #Giro as consequence of his #AGR crash.

Damn... that was pretty much all that was left for the second part of his season... Lombardia will probably be too heavy again and the WC is far from a guaranteed success. In the Giro chances were high he was going to win one or more stages. Tour is a boring race and doesn't suit him, especially with Kittel in the race. Even in his wonder year he only won one Tour stage.

Classics really need to be spread out more over the season... Make Paris-Tours WT again because now it doesn't have a lot of prestige anymore. And I would move Strade Bianche to the Autumn as well, 1 October would be a good date. In between the WC and Lombardia, so it would definitely attract a stellar field. I'd move Paris-Tours to 15 October.

While we're moving the WT schedule around, let's get rid of this ridiculous race in China for good. It has no business being a WT race. No offence to the Chinese, it's just that more deserving races deserve spots on the WT calendar before a brand new race that no one has ever heard of in a place that no one cares about bike racing. The empty streets of the tour of Beijing ought to be a sign to the UCI that they should start a little smaller.

Sorry, I just went way off topic there.

portugal11 wrote:I'm still hoping that gilbert races liege. Fleche is just a sheldeprijs for climbers, so no one gives a sh## about this race. But a gilbert going bananas on redoute, would be something special

Yeah, me too. I don't know what his form will look like after spending a week off the bike. I would hardly think that he could perform they way he did at Amstel, although we can wish. :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

19 Apr 2017 22:14

El Pistolero wrote:

Definitely! The fall classics were more interesting 15 years ago with when the World Cup were still active. Since then, Zürich Metzgete is gone, Paris-Tours has reduced status and Vattenfall Classics in less important than earlier. We need a reboot of the fall classics season. These days, the last third of the season (after TDF) feels rather boring and uneventful. It's mostly been about introducing new and not very interesting races like Tour of Poland, the Canadian races and now Tour of Turkey and races in China.

A fall classics campaign with at least 4-5 races with WT status after the WC would be much more interesting. Lombardia and PT should be two of these. Moving Strade Bianche could also be a possibility. Not sure about increasing status of the other Italian race. The present version of Giro Piemonte is rather boring, and Emilia mostly a waiting game for the last time up San Luca. Too bad there isn't more 230+ km hilly one day races in Italy. There is great possibilities for exciting profiles in regions like Liguria, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna and perhaps Lazio.
OlavEH

20 Apr 2017 04:14

El Pistolero wrote:
the asian wrote:I'd rather have Emilia on the week before Lombardia and Strade at it's current date.

I feel like those two races don't really have the prestige to become WT. They're semi-classics and should remain that way imo. They're fun little distractions. Nothing more, nothing less. Gran Piemonte is a dumb name however, they should change it back to the Giro del Piemonte. It would be great to see Gilbert at the start again though. One more victory would make him shared record holder. Emilia has an iconic finish in San Luca, so that would make sense to include in the WT, at least to me.

Obviously.

Emilia can be promoted to WT level.

Piemonte & Milano Torino will be HC races.
User avatar the asian

20 Apr 2017 06:05

Irondan wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:

While we're moving the WT schedule around, let's get rid of this ridiculous race in China for good. It has no business being a WT race. No offence to the Chinese, it's just that more deserving races deserve spots on the WT calendar before a brand new race that no one has ever heard of in a place that no one cares about bike racing. The empty streets of the tour of Beijing ought to be a sign to the UCI that they should start a little smaller.

Sorry, I just went way off topic there.

portugal11 wrote:I'm still hoping that gilbert races liege. Fleche is just a sheldeprijs for climbers, so no one gives a sh## about this race. But a gilbert going bananas on redoute, would be something special

Yeah, me too. I don't know what his form will look like after spending a week off the bike. I would hardly think that he could perform they way he did at Amstel, although we can wish. :)

He is out of the Giro also, so no chance of going to Liege :(
User avatar AussieGoddess

26 May 2017 15:37

Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

26 May 2017 18:54

What a man!
User avatar Valv.Piti

27 May 2017 21:16

That is pretty cool actually.
barmaher

27 May 2017 21:40

Great attitude toward fans, best advertisement for cycling!
User avatar lartiste

27 May 2017 22:11

:lol:
User avatar lenric

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing