Register

Hot racing coming up in Australia

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

10 Jan 2018 17:14

Jancouver wrote:With all seriousness, Isnt this year start list even weaker than ever before? Really, all I see is the little midget and a few aussies but no “real” contenenders.

Perhaps the mandatory vacation is getting old ... :cool:

Yeah. No serious contenders and without Corkscrew (the only climb I've seen Porte suffering on).. it's going to be a one-man show.

Woods and Henao dropped him on Corkscrew in 2016 and got within the 10 min mark on Willunga Hill but they are not there.

There is no chance on earth that non-climbers like Haas and McCarthy are being able to hang on to Porte. They will lose at least 20 seconds.

In theory, the only rider strong enough to get close to Porte is Ion Izagirre but I'm not sure about his form in January.
WheelofGear

Re:

10 Jan 2018 17:34

swuzzlebubble wrote:UniSA announced now

Scott Bowden (Bennelong SwissWellness Cycling Team p/b Cervelo)
Zak Dempster (Israel Cycling Academy)
Nathan Earle (Israel Cycling Academy)
Alex Porter (Bennelong SwissWellness Cycling Team p/b Cervelo)
Timothy Roe (Bennelong SwissWellness Cycling Team p/b Cervelo)
Steele von Hoff (Bennelong SwissWellness Cycling Team p/b Cervelo)
Sam Welsford (Australian Cycling Academy)

Such an underwhelming squad - Realise there is not the depth of young riders like in 2017, but surely someone like Monk could have got a run.
yaco

Re: Re:

10 Jan 2018 17:52

yaco wrote:

Such an underwhelming squad - Realise there is not the depth of young riders like in 2017, but surely someone like Monk could have got a run.

I think having riders from a development squad or a competing team in a national selection is banned.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

10 Jan 2018 20:17

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
yaco wrote:

I think having riders from a development squad or a competing team in a national selection is banned.

Cyrus Monk (and others) missed selection due a UCI rule change that came into effect on 1 January requiring any athlete participating in a WorldTour event to have been participant in the registered testing pool (as opposed to the domestic testing pool) for a period of time prior to the event (> 6 weeks I think).

Monk had actively queried Cycling Australia by email as to what his anti-doping obligations in 2017 however they failed to communicate this quite significant rule change despite knowing about it since early in the year. This lack of communication not only screwed over Monk, but also a number of other Continental team riders who would have been pushing for selection.

Bit of background in these articles... http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/unisa-team-2018-confirmed/

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/no-chance-herfoss-race-tour/
Tugboat

Re:

10 Jan 2018 21:29

Jancouver wrote:With all seriousness, Isn't this year start list even weaker than ever before? Really, all I see is the little midget and a few Aussies but no “real” contenders.

For outright contenders, yes. Decent sprint field though, along with a fair few punchy guys who can sprint.

Valverde should have made his comeback here, he’d clean up easily and have a nice headstart in the WT.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

11 Jan 2018 05:18

dusty red roads

11 Jan 2018 07:09

The Edmondsons doing well ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

11 Jan 2018 09:59

User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

11 Jan 2018 16:32

Disappointing non-action by CA cost Monk and Harper the chance to ride the TDU - Doubt CA is an effective body.
yaco

Re:

11 Jan 2018 19:25

yaco wrote:Disappointing non-action by CA cost Monk and Harper the chance to ride the TDU - Doubt CA is an effective body.

They aren’t. Look what they’ve done to the track team for worlds, along with the women’s RR team last year.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

12 Jan 2018 06:58

My predicted top 10 for the TDU:
Porte
Bennet
Haas
Canty
Kennaugh
Latour
Mas
G.Izagirre
Howson
Lambrecht

Ruling out Dennis and Gerrans as I think they will have to do a lot of work.Other picks who could make the top 10 are Soler and Costa.
greenedge
Veteran

Re:

12 Jan 2018 08:38

greenedge wrote:My predicted top 10 for the TDU:
Porte
Bennet
Haas
Canty
Kennaugh
Latour
Mas
G.Izagirre
Howson
Lambrecht

Ruling out Dennis and Gerrans as I think they will have to do a lot of work.Other picks who could make the top 10 are Soler and Costa.

No McCarthy? He looks even better than last year
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

12 Jan 2018 09:05

On a somewhat related note, Freddy Ovett (Caja Rural) , another ex runner, smashed Melbourne's iconic 1:20 KOM by 40 seconds (previously held by Brendon Canty).
12:20, OMG!
https://www.strava.com/activities/1351109546/
User avatar claude cat

12 Jan 2018 12:03

I made it a toss-up between him and Kennaugh for that spot and I think Kennaugh could have leadership if only because he's a better climber in general (but will probably prove to be wrong).
greenedge
Veteran

12 Jan 2018 17:16

An interesting podcast by Dan Benson with Matt White and others from MS before the TDU - Seems like Impey will be the GC rider and target top 10, while of course the main focus will be on Ewan in the sprints - Implied that MS will deliver an Quick Step scenario in the TDF, which probably means more support for Ewan than A.Yates - Probably not a bad idea seeing Yates is good at following wheels - So Yates will probably have only one or two mountain types - White also stated that Mezgec is the last rider for Ewan, so he'll be at the TDF - Stressed about versatile riders and the TTT so expect the Bauer,Impey, Durbridge type riders to feature prominently in the final squad.
yaco

Re:

12 Jan 2018 17:41

greenedge wrote:I made it a toss-up between him and Kennaugh for that spot and I think Kennaugh could have leadership if only because he's a better climber in general (but will probably prove to be wrong).

I think it's already confirmed that they are riding for McCarthy since he seems to be in-shape and it's his home race. Even Sagan is going to become a super-domestique in support of him.

That said, shorter hills like WH seems to be Kennaugh's thing. He could do well in a race like this.
Velolover2

Re:

12 Jan 2018 17:45

Jancouver wrote:With all seriousness, Isn't this year start list even weaker than ever before? Really, all I see is the little midget and a few Aussies but no “real” contenders.

Perhaps your constant complaining about this race is getting old. :) If you don't wanna watch the race, don't! I'm not gonna tie you to a chair and force your eyes open...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Jan 2018 17:46

Velolover2 wrote:
greenedge wrote:I made it a toss-up between him and Kennaugh for that spot and I think Kennaugh could have leadership if only because he's a better climber in general (but will probably prove to be wrong).

I think it's already confirmed that they are riding for McCarthy since he seems to be in-shape and it's his home race. Even Sagan is going to become a super-domestique in support of him.

That said, shorter hills like WH seems to be Kennaugh's thing. He could do well in a race like this.

Correct, Sagan will be working for McCarthy. He will lead him up th OWH until he can no longer follow, then, he will drop TLMRP and everyone else to take the win and the GC. :D
User avatar Jancouver

12 Jan 2018 17:47

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mccarthy-on-form-ahead-of-tour-down-under-podium-challenge/

Here it is, McCarthy is the sole leader. That means no Sagan for overall this time.
Velolover2

12 Jan 2018 17:57

Jancouver wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:

Correct, Sagan will be working for McCarthy. He will lead him up th OWH until he can no longer follow, then, he will drop TLMRP and everyone else to take the win and the GC. :D

Yeah. McCarthy deserves a chance to lead the team but I would have loved to see Sagan in action on OWH. I even think he could win it if Porte wasn't there.
Velolover2

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing