Register

Hot racing coming up in Australia

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Jan 2019 03:55

Interesting weather coming up for the peleton with 40+ C the first two days and then graduating to 2 days of mid 30's then Sat a bit cooler in the 20's and back to 30ish for Sunday. Winds look moderate at worst, so it won't be as draining as it could be with stronger northerly winds. It will still be very difficult to anyone who is not acclimatized properly. With the technology they have these days maybe it is time to have legends next to each rider the same as racehorses have for their form on fast, good, slow and heavy tracks.....bike riders could have the same for very hot, hot, moderate, cold and freezing rated on how they handle the conditions. Add in wet weather riding as well.

The Australian riders at the National Championships had a good hit out last weekend in reasonably warm weather so I think they will figure prominently. It will be interesting to see the MS tactics in the first two days with the extremely hot conditions and no sprinter. Maybe they will concentrate on picking up bonus points.
Wilba60

Re:

13 Jan 2019 04:24

Wilba60 wrote:Interesting weather coming up for the peleton with 40+ C the first two days and then graduating to 2 days of mid 30's then Sat a bit cooler in the 20's and back to 30ish for Sunday. Winds look moderate at worst, so it won't be as draining as it could be with stronger northerly winds. It will still be very difficult to anyone who is not acclimatized properly. With the technology they have these days maybe it is time to have legends next to each rider the same as racehorses have for their form on fast, good, slow and heavy tracks.....bike riders could have the same for very hot, hot, moderate, cold and freezing rated on how they handle the conditions. Add in wet weather riding as well.

The Australian riders at the National Championships had a good hit out last weekend in reasonably warm weather so I think they will figure prominently. It will be interesting to see the MS tactics in the first two days with the extremely hot conditions and no sprinter. Maybe they will concentrate on picking up bonus points.

Yeah pretty standard for an Australian summer but some of the Euro's won't like it.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2019 04:28

movingtarget wrote:
Wilba60 wrote:Interesting weather coming up for the peleton with 40+ C the first two days and then graduating to 2 days of mid 30's then Sat a bit cooler in the 20's and back to 30ish for Sunday. Winds look moderate at worst, so it won't be as draining as it could be with stronger northerly winds. It will still be very difficult to anyone who is not acclimatized properly. With the technology they have these days maybe it is time to have legends next to each rider the same as racehorses have for their form on fast, good, slow and heavy tracks.....bike riders could have the same for very hot, hot, moderate, cold and freezing rated on how they handle the conditions. Add in wet weather riding as well.

Yeah pretty standard for an Australian summer but some of the Euro's won't like it.

I would imagine the Spaniards would be fine with it as that seems fairly typical of Spanish summers as well. Their only issue would be that it's currently winter.
User avatar Koronin

13 Jan 2019 06:26

Great tribute to Paul Sherwin at the start of the criterium.
Wilba60

13 Jan 2019 06:41

Koronin wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

I would imagine the Spaniards would be fine with it as that seems fairly typical of Spanish summers as well. Their only issue would be that it's currently winter.

That and the UV exposure is MUCH higher
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 07:22

Aaaiiii… Mørkøv.

Great win by Ewan.
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

13 Jan 2019 08:54

Viviani got taken down in the crash but I hope he is ok for the upcoming sprints. Without him in good shape, Ewan will win all the flat stages.
User avatar Velolover2

13 Jan 2019 09:05

He - Viviani - seemed to jump up again before he'd even hit the ground.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

13 Jan 2019 09:07

RedheadDane wrote:He - Viviani - seemed to jump up again before he'd even hit the ground.

Good. It makes stage 1, 2 and 5 more open. I'd even give Viviani an edge over Ewan.
User avatar Velolover2

13 Jan 2019 09:10

Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.
User avatar Velolover2

Re:

13 Jan 2019 09:27

Velolover2 wrote:Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.

According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event%20files/stages/maps/2019%20event/tdu_2019_stage%203_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Hot racing coming up in Australia

13 Jan 2019 09:49

Race Director, Mike Turtur has confirmed the distance of the Novatech Stage 2 Norwood to Angaston has been reduced by 26.9 km due to extreme heat.
Tim Booth

13 Jan 2019 09:55

Robert5091 wrote:

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event%20files/stages/maps/2019%20event/tdu_2019_stage%203_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.
User avatar Velolover2

13 Jan 2019 09:58

I actually had a bit of a thought during the coverage of The Down Under Classic this morning; why not just have every stage in the (local) evening? Could even bring out even bigger crowds, as those who have to work during the day will be free to go watch the race.

I also have a personal reason for liking this idea. Obviously I like my own idea…
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

13 Jan 2019 11:26

RedheadDane wrote:I actually had a bit of a thought during the coverage of The Down Under Classic this morning; why not just have every stage in the (local) evening? Could even bring out even bigger crowds, as those who have to work during the day will be free to go watch the race.

I also have a personal reason for liking this idea. Obviously I like my own idea…
everyone drives to work here, peak hour would be absolute disaster
Scarponi

13 Jan 2019 14:52

Velolover2 wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:

Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.

Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

Nirvana

13 Jan 2019 15:08

in total, this year's stage has more than double the amount of climbing though. So it's hard to compare
User avatar search

13 Jan 2019 15:31

Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.
Jancouver

Re:

13 Jan 2019 16:00

Jancouver wrote:Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.

It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

13 Jan 2019 17:10

Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:

OMG, year after year I pray that TLMRP will skip this "Willunga Hill" race because it's getting unbearable around here between January and July listening to all the nonsense about Porte's bad luck and his chances finally winning the TdF etc. :cool:
Jancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing