Log in:  

Register

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Better overall rider

Cadel Evans
34
22%
Alberto Contador
120
78%
 
Total votes : 154

19 Dec 2012 02:11

movingtarget wrote:Contador has a way to go to reach the level of the riders you mentioned and he isn't an all time great yet. At least with the first three names on the list. Evans palmares is better than Nibali's and Sastre's and Vino's. Close to Valverde and Valverde has a much better classics record but I think Evans GT record is better than Valverde's.

Contador may not be an all time great yet, but at 29 years old, it is only a matter of time. His stage race record is as good as any of the riders I mentioned and he is only the second rider to win all three GT's more than once, after Hinault (IF you count the 2011 Giro).
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1


evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,520
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

19 Dec 2012 08:20

Echoes wrote:That's the proof that there's a BIG BIG BIG problem with that Contador guy.
He's a disgrace. A lazy bourgeois spoiled brat with delusions of grandeur
.


Wow wow wow take it easy dude. You clearly don't know anything about Alberto. He is not lazy, not spoiled and not a brat and most of all not a disgrace. Do everyone including yourself a favor and stop this silly argument because you're only making a fool of yourself.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,181
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

19 Dec 2012 08:58

Florecita is bringing up forum members. Where is the forum going to... :(
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

19 Dec 2012 11:27

LaFlorecita wrote:Wow wow wow take it easy dude. You clearly don't know anything about Alberto. He is not lazy, not spoiled and not a brat and most of all not a disgrace. Do everyone including yourself a favor and stop this silly argument because you're only making a fool of yourself.
Please respect other posters opinions, this is a forum, remember?
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,783
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

19 Dec 2012 13:10

Not even close.

Contador.
User avatar Old School
Junior Member
 
Posts: 291
Joined: 12 Mar 2010 12:42
Location: Baltimore

19 Dec 2012 13:56

cineteq wrote:Please respect other posters opinions, this is a forum, remember?


It was an opinion? I'm sorry, I thought he was stating it as a fact.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,181
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

19 Dec 2012 14:07

Alright, you persuaded me. It is Evans.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

19 Dec 2012 14:11

You can say some bad things about Contador, no question about it.

But saying he's lazy? That's just ridiculous. Proving he's not lazy would mean that there might be some doubt about it.

Besides i'm too lazy to typ ;)
User avatar Miburo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,832
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

19 Dec 2012 14:13

LaFlorecita wrote:It was an opinion? I'm sorry, I thought he was stating it as a fact.

It is a manner a forum member is communicating in. One is entitled to have its own. You for instance can be easily accused of absence of your own opinion, but it almost always duplicates Contador's offical version. However, no one is bringing you up for that! :)
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

19 Dec 2012 14:23

42x16ss wrote:Contador may not be an all time great yet, but at 29 years old, it is only a matter of time. His stage race record is as good as any of the riders I mentioned and he is only the second rider to win all three GT's more than once, after Hinault (IF you count the 2011 Giro).


He is a work in progress but unlike most of those previous champions, he has never won the world's or won a classic and I disagree about the grand tours. He hasn't reached that level yet even though he is the best of his generation. He won't reach the level of Merckx or Hinault but may pass the grand tour careers of the others even though he lacks the versatility to win one day classics as well. His sprint lets him down but in certain hilly classics with the right tactics he could be hard to beat if he bothered attempting them.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,059
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

19 Dec 2012 14:28

Miburo wrote:You can say some bad things about Contador, no question about it.

But saying he's lazy? That's just ridiculous. Proving he's not lazy would mean that there might be some doubt about it.

Besides i'm too lazy to typ ;)


Yea so am I :D
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,181
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

19 Dec 2012 14:29

movingtarget wrote:He is a work in progress but unlike most of those previous champions, he has never won the world's or won a classic and I disagree about the grand tours. He hasn't reached that level yet even though he is the best of his generation. He won't reach the level of Merckx or Hinault but may pass the grand tour careers of the others even though he lacks the versatility to win one day classics as well. His sprint lets him down but in certain hilly classics with the right tactics he could be hard to beat if he bothered attempting them.


But he won't :D Next year no one day races for Berto :rolleyes:
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,181
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

20 Dec 2012 11:42

It is very funny to read how a modest guy came into the thread to express his opinion and he was instantly attacked by one's fans. One poster even tries on the role of police of ethics and reports to mods as soon as someone tells about doping and Contador (NOT just doping!). LOL, guys you should work on your equanimity and self-esteem otherwise it will end up very bad for you. Your arguments will never stop critics towards Contador and will not do it less reasonable. The man has got delinquencies. So no drama. It is just Contador and cycling forum.
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

20 Dec 2012 12:29

airstream wrote:It is very funny to read how a modest guy came into the thread to express his opinion and he was instantly attacked by one's fans. .


so disagreeing with people who's (supposed) opinions one disagrees with is wrong.

One poster even tries on the role of police of ethics and reports to mods as soon as someone tells about doping and Contador.



But bringing up doping on a forum specifically designed for non doping discussions is perfectly ok?

Go create your own forum then, where disagreeing with people who don't like contador is not allowed but going on all day about contadors clenbuterol andhow he belongs in hell, is.

Until then play by the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

And i don't know who this wannabe policeman is ( or how you know what he reports) but i raise a glass to him and hope he continues to report you and your kind when you post your unwanted filth in the wrong forum.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,758
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

20 Dec 2012 13:20

The Hitch wrote:so disagreeing with people who's (supposed) opinions one disagrees with is wrong.


But bringing up doping on a forum specifically designed for non doping discussions is perfectly ok?

Go create your own forum then, where disagreeing with people who don't like contador is not allowed but going on all day about contadors clenbuterol andhow he belongs in hell, is.

Until then play by the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

And i don't know who this wannabe policeman is ( or how you know what he reports) but i raise a glass to him and hope he continues to report you and your kind when you post your unwanted filth in the wrong forum.



+1000
DITTO what Hitch said!!!!!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,810
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

20 Dec 2012 13:28

It is called hounding. I know because I'm subjected to that since the first day on the forum. So I clearly understand this guy though he is apparently older and wiser than me and he could percieve your incursion quietly.

I consider Zubeldia a better than Contador rider too and what? :rolleyes:
User avatar airstream
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,283
Joined: 29 Mar 2011 18:32
Location: Minsk

20 Dec 2012 13:36

airstream wrote:It is called hounding. I know because I'm subjected to that since the first day on the forum. So I clearly understand this guy though he is apparently older and wiser than me and he could percieve your incursion quietly.

I consider Zubeldia a better than Contador rider too and what? :rolleyes:


And nothing. You are entitled to that opinion. And i am entitled to my response that that opinion is stupid.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,758
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

20 Dec 2012 15:36

airstream wrote:It is called hounding. I know because I'm subjected to that since the first day on the forum.


Maybe because you refuse to follow the rules???? Did that ever occur to you, Accepting Personal Responsibility????

Go to the clinic and have fun, your drug related opinions are welcome there and you'll find plenty of folks that Agree with you!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,810
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

20 Dec 2012 15:48

The Hitch wrote:so disagreeing with people who's (supposed) opinions one disagrees with is wrong.

But bringing up doping on a forum specifically designed for non doping discussions is perfectly ok?

Go create your own forum then, where disagreeing with people who don't like contador is not allowed but going on all day about contadors clenbuterol andhow he belongs in hell, is.

Until then play by the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

And i don't know who this wannabe policeman is ( or how you know what he reports) but i raise a glass to him and hope he continues to report you and your kind when you post your unwanted filth in the wrong forum.


The Hitch wrote:And nothing. You are entitled to that opinion. And i am entitled to my response that that opinion is stupid.


this, +10000
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,181
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

20 Dec 2012 18:28

Reporting to the mods is really ... cowardice. :o
And on top of that, it's done anonymously.

Shall I ever report to the mods when I see a post that I don't appreciate? Sir, no Sir. Freedom for Christ's sake.

I don't know what to call this. I'm staggered. I mean, I'm feeling like in the old schoolyard when we reported to the teachers (or perhaps in 1942...).

Sad, very sad. :(


And no I don't like this omerta rule about doping but I tend to respect it whenever possible. However sometimes, it's impossible. Otherwise it seems like false pleading to me.

Miburo wrote:But saying he's lazy? That's just ridiculous. Proving he's not lazy would mean that there might be some doubt about it.


What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:
Echoes
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,983
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: theracingelf, Urbi27 and 24 guests

Back to top