Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

25 Mar 2017 16:01

RedheadDane wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:
rune1107 wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:Could have been competing at E3 yesterday instead of busting his gust where he doesn't belong

I get how Sky can knock the GT dream into his head, after they succeeded with Wiggo. But I think it is starting to get ridiculous. He is such a talented classics rider, but he is waisting all his talent on riding for a top 10 in the Giro. He should be close to top shape now, and definitely ahead of Froome and Contador, if he wants to beat Quintana at the Giro. Hopefully he wakes up and comes back to where he belongs.

I mean when Sky started with their goal of a British TdF winner, the two riders they had in mind were Froome and Thomas, with Kennaugh being seen as another potential TdF winner a few years further down the line. So he's probably been groomed mentally for the GTs for a long time

Pretty sure Wiggins was also one of the riders they had in mind...

He wasn't actually :o he was more an afterthought when they saw his performance at the 09 Tour
User avatar PremierAndrew

25 Mar 2017 16:05

Waste of a week.
User avatar Alexandre B.

25 Mar 2017 16:08

PremierAndrew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:
rune1107 wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:Could have been competing at E3 yesterday instead of busting his gust where he doesn't belong

I get how Sky can knock the GT dream into his head, after they succeeded with Wiggo. But I think it is starting to get ridiculous. He is such a talented classics rider, but he is waisting all his talent on riding for a top 10 in the Giro. He should be close to top shape now, and definitely ahead of Froome and Contador, if he wants to beat Quintana at the Giro. Hopefully he wakes up and comes back to where he belongs.

I mean when Sky started with their goal of a British TdF winner, the two riders they had in mind were Froome and Thomas, with Kennaugh being seen as another potential TdF winner a few years further down the line. So he's probably been groomed mentally for the GTs for a long time

He wasn't actually :o he was more an afterthought when they saw his performance at the 09 Tour

Huh? Wiggins did really great at the 2009 Tour, causing Sky to buy him free from Garmin.
Froome only had his GT breakthrough in the 2011 Vuelta.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

25 Mar 2017 17:28

PremierAndrew wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:
rune1107 wrote:

Nice bit of revisionism there, but no one thought of Froome as a winner of any kind of race before 2011.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

26 Mar 2017 01:38

lol no one thought of any british rider in 2009 as a TdF winner let alone a contender.

Thomas was seen as a good leadout men who had a engine + background for TT's.
User avatar Billie

21 Apr 2017 20:49

Nice win today, looked really comfortable throughout the stage
del1962
Veteran

Re:

21 Apr 2017 21:04

Billie wrote:lol no one thought of any british rider in 2009 as a TdF winner let alone a contender.

Thomas was seen as a good leadout men who had a engine + background for TT's.

Maybe to a lesser extent Kennaugh, 3rd at the Girobio and good in one day races (and a good track cyclist).
User avatar Mayomaniac

21 Apr 2017 23:41

Anyone know why G was in such a hurry to leave Tour of the Alps that he didn't have time to shower? Bizarre!
Kirby, the reason the mute button was invented! :)
LRP - “an angry little man”. “Americanese” - when you want to spread bs
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Geraint Thomas

22 Apr 2017 00:08

Let's not get down that road :) .

It hurts but congrats to Geraint Realfast. He played it great, his move on stage 3 was awesome. Even if I don't like the result, it's a well-deserved win. We can root for another rider and still be gracious :) .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

22 Apr 2017 01:32

Tonton wrote:Let's not get down that road :) .

It hurts but congrats to Geraint Realfast. He played it great, his move on stage 3 was awesome. Even if I don't like the result, it's a well-deserved win. We can root for another rider and still be gracious :) .

Nice sentiment.
User avatar TMP402

22 Apr 2017 03:21

Tonton wrote:Let's not get down that road :) .

+1000!
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

24 Apr 2017 13:26

It gets tiresome correcting everyones little slips.
mixedmartial
Newly Registered Member

25 Apr 2017 07:21

Thomas wins tour of alps.
mixedmartial
Newly Registered Member

06 May 2017 16:21

Beat Ewan in sprint!
User avatar sir fly

Re:

06 May 2017 16:56

sir fly wrote:Beat Ewan in sprint!

He'd be more credible as a sprinter than as a GT contender
ice&fire

06 May 2017 19:09

i didn't watch the stage yet, but this must explain why :Question:

bumped with Colombian Fernando Gaviria (Quick-Step Floors) on his right, causing his left foot to unclip immediately after. Instead of fighting for the win, he slipped back to finish ninth behind winner André Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) and one place behind Geraint Thomas (Team Sky).

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/caleb-ewan-devastated-fernando-gaviria-collision-giro-ditalia-sprint-329110#YKMdgWxqrZ0qoJ5x.99
CTQ

06 May 2017 21:41

Thomas is overeager, finishing in the top 10 of stages like this is nice, but not where he should expand too much energy in.

I think Thomas likes racing too much and will run out of gas in the 3rd week, after looking mightely impressive in the first 2 weeks.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

06 May 2017 21:48

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Thomas is overeager, finishing in the top 10 of stages like this is nice, but not where he should expand too much energy in.

I think Thomas likes racing too much and will run out of gas in the 3rd week, after looking mightely impressive in the first 2 weeks.

I don't think he expended too much energy, he just stayed up towards the front and out of trouble in the last couple of k's and that translated into a top 10.
Vasilis

06 May 2017 21:49

Finishing in the top 10 in such a big group with still so many sprinters is not automatically. That costs extra effort and energy in the last 2K
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

06 May 2017 22:13

He was only like 10 metres ahead of Nibali (13th) and Quintana (20th).

I do think there's a real chance he'll "get stuck in" too much at unnecessary times, but today I can't see he used any more reserves than Nibali or Quintana.
kenk09

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing