Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

28 Jul 2018 17:02

tretiak wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
tretiak wrote:Long live the new Team Sky king. Hopefully he will be captain next year aswell. But Brailsford worries me after his pro Froome interview today on Eurosport hardly mentioned Thomas.

Of course Froome is still the big dog. He won three GTs in a row and just podiumed the fourth. If he hadn’t just won the Giro, he’d almost certainly have won this Tour. If Thomas was a less advanced age for a first time GT winner, he’d be seen as the next guy in line, Sky’s leader for a few years in between Froome and Bernal. But there’s no evidence Froome is slipping yet in his failure to do the impossible and Bernal is already on the cusp of being ready, so there just isn’t an interregnum in the team for a guy one year younger than Froome to fill.

If Thomas stays he will either target the Giro or get co-captain status at the Tour, with Froome as unofficial plan A. That’s what five years of racing dictate.

In that case it’s better to ride for another team and target the Tour. A team dedicated only for you and no booing.

He’s always stayed put, done what he has told and taken the big money so far in his career. And he will currently feel that doing so has paid off.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

28 Jul 2018 17:09

Great win and wonderful performance all around. He never did a single thing wrong this Tour. Just a perfect ride. I'm happy for him. He seems like a very likeable guy and has always been an obviously talented rider, though I never expected him to win the Tour.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

28 Jul 2018 17:31

Very happy for G, a deserved Tour success. Understandably very emotional in his post-race interview as the achievement sinks in. He always comes across very humble and respectful of the race and others. Even going back to us Paris-Nice win over Contador, he was full of admiration for him and couldn’t believe he’d beaten such a great rider.
User avatar Pricey_sky

28 Jul 2018 18:35

I want to say that I knew it! I knew G would win since March! 100% :D

Kudos for an amazing performance.

Consistent, smart, focused, strong, sharp, cool... these are some of the adjectives I would use to describe him during the race. Fully deserved.
huge

28 Jul 2018 18:39

Congratz to G strongest rider in the race
del1962
Veteran

Re:

28 Jul 2018 18:41

tretiak wrote:Long live the new Team Sky king. Hopefully he will be captain next year aswell. But Brailsford worries me after his pro Froome interview today on Eurosport hardly mentioned Thomas.

what got said? you go a link?
rick james

28 Jul 2018 18:48

Must admit I was waiting for him to tank at some point to allow Froome to win
He must be thanking his lucky stars for Dumoulin (and Roglic), otherwise the other guy wins
DanielSong39

28 Jul 2018 18:50

Red Rick wrote:
del1962 wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:G to do Tour/Vuelta double now?

Let’s wait until after ITT

Depends on whether Tour/Vuelta was in the plans from the get go, and seeing as Bernal was originally gonna go there, I doubt Thomas was meant to do both.

In any case, Thomas has been in scintillating form since June, Vuelta turnover is short, he's never been the most consistent GC rider over longer periods, he'll probably drown in media attention, yadayadayada.

I highly doubt he'll go to the Vuelta, and even if he goes, I doubt he can top 5. I think the Worlds are a better target for him.

Don't think he should and don't think he will do Vuelta, almost certain he will do Tour of Britain, not sure as leader though.
del1962
Veteran

Re:

28 Jul 2018 19:40

RedheadDane wrote:Dunno how strong the Welsh national sense is, but (by all accounts) the first Welsh Tour winner, and the first GT winner from the UK to actually be born in the UK.

The second Welsh winner of the Tour ..... after Nicole Cooke ;)
User avatar Tank Engine

Re:

28 Jul 2018 20:12

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He started the final TT too fast and blew up on the final climb though. Small improvement point for the future :D

Or ... according to a post-race interview, he started off quickly, slid going into a corner and decided to play it conservatively and ensure that he would win the tour, rather than going for the stage win. He said that he felt really good today.

I've supported G for many years, so I'm now :) :) :)

In terms of the racing, G raced to win, was where he had to be each day. All the other GC contenders lost time due to mechanicals, crashes or in the TTT and so after his attack on Stage 11, he already had a defendable lead over everyone else. For that reason, and the strength of Sky, the racing could clearly have been better. G may well have been the strongest on the Alpe, but without the strength of the Sky team I think the racing in the last 2 Pyrenean stages would have been pretty much man on man between 3 riders of very similar strength.
I think stage 17 was a good idea which didn't quite work out due to Sky's strength. Stage 19 was good, but could have been great without Bernal (nothing against Bernal of course).
User avatar Tank Engine

28 Jul 2018 20:14

Yeah, he was strong regardless.

I found it interesting that referring to the pyrenees stages he said it was good for him Tom was his main adversary since he had the same style of riding and not the explosive attacks he doesn't like. He said without Dumoulin he would have probably closed down gaps in the same manner. Unwillingly Dumoulin became the extra Sky rider
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Geraint Thomas

28 Jul 2018 20:29

Wouldn't have been my first choice but a fully deserving winner

Loved the post stage interview, genuine raw emotion and humility...none of it false. Great to see
brownbobby

28 Jul 2018 20:36

tretiak wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

Of course Froome is still the big dog. He won three GTs in a row and just podiumed the fourth. If he hadn’t just won the Giro, he’d almost certainly have won this Tour. If Thomas was a less advanced age for a first time GT winner, he’d be seen as the next guy in line, Sky’s leader for a few years in between Froome and Bernal. But there’s no evidence Froome is slipping yet in his failure to do the impossible and Bernal is already on the cusp of being ready, so there just isn’t an interregnum in the team for a guy one year younger than Froome to fill.

If Thomas stays he will either target the Giro or get co-captain status at the Tour, with Froome as unofficial plan A. That’s what five years of racing dictate.

In that case it’s better to ride for another team and target the Tour. A team dedicated only for you and no booing.

I don't think so; for starters I don't think Thomas would be likely to win the Tour with anyone other than Team Sky.

Secondly, time isn't on his side for getting anywhere near record equalling 4 or 5 TDF's, so I think in terms of his legacy adding a Giro or Vuelta trophy to the cabinet would be just as atractive as maybe one more Tour.

Maybe even one of the monuments?
brownbobby

28 Jul 2018 21:39

brownbobby wrote:
tretiak wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:

I don't think so; for starters I don't think Thomas would be likely to win the Tour with anyone other than Team Sky.

Secondly, time isn't on his side for getting anywhere near record equalling 4 or 5 TDF's, so I think in terms of his legacy adding a Giro or Vuelta trophy to the cabinet would be just as atractive as maybe one more Tour.

Maybe even one of the monuments?

No way Thomas wins this Tour, or any other, riding for any other team than Sky. You just have to look at the record of other Sky Super Domestiques who've gone on to other teams; Porte and Landa for 2 examples will probably both watch G riding up and down the Champs in yellow tomorrow and think "$hit."

As this year's winner, G has earned the right to start next year's Tour a) wearing number 1 and b) as at least his team's co-leader, whoever that team may be. But at the same time, Froome has also earned the right down the years to be at least equal co-leader of Sky next year.

It would be amazing if Thomas were to go to Flanders or Roubaix next year, as reigning TdF champ. Better again were he to win.
Leinster

Re: Geraint Thomas

28 Jul 2018 22:54

SuperG set to join Kubler, Koblet, Hinault and our Brad, :)
but too bad the Tour no longer finishes on a velodrome. :(
User avatar oldcrank

29 Jul 2018 03:13

Haven't seen winners' interviews like that before. Respect.

I wonder what next for G in 2018? Target World's in RR and/or TT? He would be among the favorites for either.
dastott

29 Jul 2018 07:19

Froome has already ticked the boxes for the Vuelta and Giro, The prime ambition would be to join the 5 TDF club for both him and Sky
If G stays with Sky, he will either do the Giro Vuelta or Plan B at TDF. I think now he has anything left to prove w.r.t TDF. He should do the Giro Vuelta provided the parcours is to his strength or capitalize on the TDF success for more money. This might be his first and last TDF win
I am sure that Porte and Landa are feeling extremely envious after the win
Also Trek might be cursing themselves not waiting for him.
IndianCyclist

Re:

29 Jul 2018 07:28

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Yeah, he was strong regardless.

I found it interesting that referring to the pyrenees stages he said it was good for him Tom was his main adversary since he had the same style of riding and not the explosive attacks he doesn't like. He said without Dumoulin he would have probably closed down gaps in the same manner. Unwillingly Dumoulin became the extra Sky rider

Exactly. After the Alpe d'Huez stage, I was wondering how Tom D could win this Tour. Tom seemed to think that he wouldn't gain time on both riders in the same stage. There have been criticisms of Tom for chasing Froome's attacks. I did think about the possibility of giving Froome some rope and then attacking G hard, so that the two Sky guys can't ride together. The obvious problem with this solution is that Tom D, just like G, is a diesel climber (also Bernal would have been a factor). In the end, Tom D dealt with Froome, but G reacted immediately to any move by Tom. In the Pyrenees, Tom was probably as strong as G, but had a weaker team, was not as fresh and to win had to break away from G. Given the circumstances, Tom rode a great race.
User avatar Tank Engine

Re:

29 Jul 2018 08:05

maltiv wrote:
Anyhow, since he's British and from Sky normal logic and progression doesn't apply. I guess he'll probably podium TDF ........

From 2013.
User avatar maanderx

Re:

29 Jul 2018 09:11

dastott wrote:Haven't seen winners' interviews like that before. Respect.

I wonder what next for G in 2018? Target World's in RR and/or TT? He would be among the favorites for either.

Yeah, he won so many races of similar type.. :rolleyes:
User avatar Blanco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing