Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

29 Jul 2018 23:01

Class victory speech
User avatar Poursuivant
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,045
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 18:19

29 Jul 2018 23:03

Can you imagine Froome dropping the mic?
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 785
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

Re: Geraint Thomas

30 Jul 2018 04:16

I wonder someone packed SuperG's dragon onesie for the flight home. :)
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,619
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

30 Jul 2018 18:17

He hasn't signed a new contract yet
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,794
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

31 Jul 2018 00:29

Might be a little salary increase on the way for Thomas if Sky want to retain him. He's in a good position to negotiate anyway.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,471
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Geraint Thomas

31 Jul 2018 06:51

Would SKY offer him more money than he's already on? They could offer him another contract on the same money, or offer him leader in the Giro and Co-leader in the Tour if the Giro went pear shaped. It depends on what his goals are for next year. If he wants to win another GT he's gonna need a good team around him and I don't think he would get that elsewhere if he demanded a higher salary than at SKY. Plus it depends on what Froome wants to target next year, no doubt all in on number 5.
wheresmybrakes
Member
 
Posts: 361
Joined: 11 Sep 2016 17:29

Re: Geraint Thomas

31 Jul 2018 12:20

wheresmybrakes wrote:Would SKY offer him more money than he's already on? They could offer him another contract on the same money, or offer him leader in the Giro and Co-leader in the Tour if the Giro went pear shaped. It depends on what his goals are for next year. If he wants to win another GT he's gonna need a good team around him and I don't think he would get that elsewhere if he demanded a higher salary than at SKY. Plus it depends on what Froome wants to target next year, no doubt all in on number 5.


I think a Tour winner would have to expect some increase. Monument winners usually get a salary upgrade.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,471
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

31 Jul 2018 12:29

movingtarget wrote:Might be a little salary increase on the way for Thomas if Sky want to retain him. He's in a good position to negotiate anyway.

Rumour in the Tour was that he extended before the Tour :o
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,336
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

31 Jul 2018 12:57

He got (well Sky did) 500k EUR for the overall win. That puts Sky at the top of the earning by far this Tour:
Team Sky €728,630
Sunweb €245,280
LottoNL-Jumbo €190,980
Quick-Step Floors €145,070
Bora-Hansgrohe €125,900
...
EF Education First Drapac €14,420

Source: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/how-much-money-riders-win-tour-de-france-254417
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 785
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

31 Jul 2018 13:24

Image

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/44990016

Garath Bale and Sam Warburton (Rugby Star) all from same school as G
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,794
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re: Re:

31 Jul 2018 13:45

Red Rick wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Might be a little salary increase on the way for Thomas if Sky want to retain him. He's in a good position to negotiate anyway.

Rumour in the Tour was that he extended before the Tour :o

Apparently he didn't sign anything before the Tour. Good for him. :p
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,135
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

31 Jul 2018 17:55

If he wants to stay competitive in GT's then he'll stay with Sky. If he wants a bit more money then I don't know what team can afford to surpass a Sky offer ? I think he looks at options but stays put. It would be disastrous for him if he left Sky. No other team has the ability to train it up mountains.
User avatar masking_agent
Member
 
Posts: 595
Joined: 06 Oct 2010 19:26

Re:

31 Jul 2018 19:15

masking_agent wrote:If he wants to stay competitive in GT's then he'll stay with Sky. If he wants a bit more money then I don't know what team can afford to surpass a Sky offer ? I think he looks at options but stays put. It would be disastrous for him if he left Sky. No other team has the ability to train it up mountains.

I see it that way too. Let's be clear. If Froome (and Dumoulin) had not had Giro legs, Geraint would not have seen either of them for dust, especially Froome. It takes nothing away from Thomas' victory, as it is a choice whether one tries to do the Giro and Tour. GT had a comparatively 'easy' time on the Dauphine in comparison to the three weeks on the Giro. No not that easy, but if you watched it, you could see that he was fresh at the end. Well done, anyway.
InterestedSpectator
Junior Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 15 Sep 2012 11:16

31 Jul 2018 19:28

He won because he pretty much had the perfect race and the strongest team.

No crash or mechanical. Could stay with the best and follow wheels of others. Never had to been in a position to really chase, could always count on someone else. Grabbed bonus seconds in the finishes with having the best sprint and probably a little more energy left in the tank.

Could he be a winner on another team tho... Im not so sure
Salvarani
Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 15 Oct 2017 15:25

Re:

31 Jul 2018 19:42

Salvarani wrote:He won because he pretty much had the perfect race and the strongest team.

No crash or mechanical. Could stay with the best and follow wheels of others. Never had to been in a position to really chase, could always count on someone else. Grabbed bonus seconds in the finishes with having the best sprint and probably a little more energy left in the tank.

Could he be a winner on another team tho... Im not so sure

The thing is, we don't know. Could he have won a Tour where he was challenged more? Maybe. Most people thought he couldn't win this Tour, after all.
rlntlssly
Junior Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: 22 Jul 2017 12:58

31 Jul 2018 21:12

If he can repeat this level again for a different team then absolutely he can be a contender I think. The level seemed pretty high regardless of Froome and Dumoulin doing the Giro. Bardet had no real excuse that I saw and if he was at the same level as previously then perhaps Froome was better than the previous couple of years. Quintana was confident he was spot on this time but was well below Thomas. Maybe Nibali was going to improve but up to the point where he crashed out he was no match for Thomas either. Another thing to mention is that the unusually good weather (very warm, no wind) was very much against Thomas
User avatar Eyeballs Out
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,521
Joined: 19 Jun 2009 10:17
Location: Thames Valley

Re:

31 Jul 2018 21:25

masking_agent wrote:If he wants to stay competitive in GT's then he'll stay with Sky. If he wants a bit MORE MONEY then I don't know what team can afford to surpass a Sky offer ? I think he looks at options but stays put. It would be disastrous for him if he left Sky. No other team has the ability to train it up mountains.


what SKY pay him became irrelevant on Sunday. Welcome to the world of advertising !
Tim Booth
Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 18 Aug 2017 08:13

Re:

31 Jul 2018 22:57

Eyeballs Out wrote:If he can repeat this level again for a different team then absolutely he can be a contender I think. The level seemed pretty high regardless of Froome and Dumoulin doing the Giro. Bardet had no real excuse that I saw and if he was at the same level as previously then perhaps Froome was better than the previous couple of years. Quintana was confident he was spot on this time but was well below Thomas. Maybe Nibali was going to improve but up to the point where he crashed out he was no match for Thomas either. Another thing to mention is that the unusually good weather (very warm, no wind) was very much against Thomas


Thomas was definitely the strongest rider in the Tour, granted he was never challenged, he stayed upright and missed all the splits at key moments. He grabbed a few bonus seconds and ended up 2 minutes ahead without having to do all that much. It would have been nice to see someone put it up to him to see how much he had left in the tank, but in the end there was no-one to touch him.

I think Dumoulin or Froome without the Giro in their legs would have put it up to him more, and I believe Porte was the biggest danger, but sadly he crashed badly again. Given his superiority I think Thomas would have won the tour this year on another team, even without the Sky train. Could he win it on another team next year, sure he could, but it would be a much tougher proposition especially if his closest competitors this time don't try the double.

Sky have a bit of a headache now, though perhaps its a nice one to have. If Froome is not in decline, and there are no sure signs he is, he is also only one year older than Thomas, then how do they handle the Tour next year, who's the number 1? This issue was sidestepped this year due to Froome losing time early on, and in the end simply not having it in the legs. Thomas is certainly going to want to defend his title next year, but will Sky guarantee him the leadership? probably not, the best he can hope for is some co-leader arrangement like this year, but without Froome fading that's not much of a guarantee!
Inquitus
Member
 
Posts: 594
Joined: 29 Apr 2012 15:28
Location: Dublin

31 Jul 2018 23:11

I think it’s completely reasonable that Sky would ask Thomas and Froome to share leadership roles next season. It worked out brilliantly this year, and I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work just the same next year. They might have to make a decision earlier if, say, Dumoulin or Roglic is clearly on better form than this year, or if they lose a crucial mountain domestique for the train. But ultimately, if it ain’t broke, and 1st and 3rd this year says is ain’t, then don’t fix it.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 880
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re:

01 Aug 2018 00:06

Leinster wrote:I think it’s completely reasonable that Sky would ask Thomas and Froome to share leadership roles next season. It worked out brilliantly this year, and I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work just the same next year. They might have to make a decision earlier if, say, Dumoulin or Roglic is clearly on better form than this year, or if they lose a crucial mountain domestique for the train. But ultimately, if it ain’t broke, and 1st and 3rd this year says is ain’t, then don’t fix it.


Perhaps, it worked out well for them this time as there was really no need to have any difficult discussions, that may not be the case in future.
Inquitus
Member
 
Posts: 594
Joined: 29 Apr 2012 15:28
Location: Dublin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arnout and 33 guests

Back to top