Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

01 Aug 2018 01:06

Next year will be a different scenario without the Giro in the legs of Froome and Dumoulin. Not saying G won’t be at their level, but he had an easy go of it this year.
User avatar Moviefan1203
Member
 
Posts: 816
Joined: 17 Apr 2010 14:10
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re:

01 Aug 2018 01:23

Moviefan1203 wrote:Next year will be a different scenario without the Giro in the legs of Froome and Dumoulin. Not saying G won’t be at their level, but he had an easy go of it this year.


It helps when the team does a good TTT, he doesn't crash unlike most of his rivals and the two most likely challengers have done the Giro as you say. The win by Thomas was more convincing than Froome's last two Tour wins and Dumoulin said he felt better in the Tour than the Giro which i found odd. Maybe a bit of rivalry talking there and mind games. I think if Thomas wants to do the Tour again as co leader they will probably let him but I think they will try to guide him towards the Giro. Personally I would rather see Froome do the Giro/Vuelta but the fifth tour win is a big carrot for him.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,457
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

01 Aug 2018 02:40

movingtarget wrote:
Moviefan1203 wrote:Next year will be a different scenario without the Giro in the legs of Froome and Dumoulin. Not saying G won’t be at their level, but he had an easy go of it this year.


It helps when the team does a good TTT, he doesn't crash unlike most of his rivals and the two most likely challengers have done the Giro as you say. The win by Thomas was more convincing than Froome's last two Tour wins and Dumoulin said he felt better in the Tour than the Giro which i found odd. Maybe a bit of rivalry talking there and mind games. I think if Thomas wants to do the Tour again as co leader they will probably let him but I think they will try to guide him towards the Giro. Personally I would rather see Froome do the Giro/Vuelta but the fifth tour win is a big carrot for him.

Agreed. I have been saying the same thing. It would be amazing
to see the FroomeDawg pull off the Giro/Vuelta double next year,
but if Sir Dave, Nico, Tim, Froomey and SuperG have other plans
I will trust their knowledge and experience in winning Grand Tours
with a unified, cohesive, goal-oriented and successful organisation.
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

01 Aug 2018 02:55

Geraint was the strongest rider in the most stacked GC field for many years. Big Tom was (according to himself) climbing better than ever but couldn't distance him. Froome was obviously fading a bit in the mountains after the Giro (is this age catching up with him, or the crashes taking a toll?) but still managed a great TT (only 1 second off Big Tom). Thomas won this GT more comfortably than Froome's 2017 TdF and 2018 Giro wins. Sky would be foolish to not give him co-leadership with Froome. Who knows, we might not have seen peak Thomas yet...
dastott
Junior Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 23 Jul 2012 00:23

01 Aug 2018 03:59

Yes, they didn’t need to have the tough conversation on this year’s Tour. That’s not to say they didn’t discuss some tough issues along the way. Besides which, I think we can say with certainty that Brailsford would/will be happy to act as referee between the 2 and say “you are working for him now, and here are the power meter readings, blood test results, and precise analysis of the remaining stages that determine this.” And the lads will accept the decision and move on.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re:

01 Aug 2018 08:22

Leinster wrote:I think we can say with certainty that Brailsford would/will be happy to act as referee between the 2 and say “you are working for him now, and here are the power meter readings, blood test results, and precise analysis of the remaining stages that determine this.” And the lads will accept the decision and move on.


Indeed. If I were Brailsford I'd give Thomas the option of the Giro/Tour double next year. Would be interesting to see him try and would give Froome a better chance of the historic 5th.
dastott
Junior Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 23 Jul 2012 00:23

01 Aug 2018 09:09

I'm not sure how Froome would take another of this "well only take G along as backup" deals, knowing that G might win again.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 784
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

Re:

01 Aug 2018 12:49

Lequack wrote:I'm not sure how Froome would take another of this "well only take G along as backup" deals, knowing that G might win again.

I’m sure Froome realises just as well as any of us that he might well still be a footnote domestique best known for getting kicked off the Giro if it hadn’t been for Sky. I can’t see either him or G leaving. If they do, they’re nuts.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

01 Aug 2018 13:51

I suppose it depends on what Sky are prepared to offer in terms of money and status within the team against what alternatives there are. Lack of current alternatives might be the biggest reason to stay. Thomas should be asking for at least the same money and status within the team as Froome. While he has *only* won one Tour he's a lot more marketable than Froome and he's a lot more versatile - he's got a classics pedigree for example

If he takes a big contract elsewhere that sets him up for life after cycling what is the worst that can happen ? He's 32, has just won the Tour and at least he won't be getting booed all round France next July
User avatar Eyeballs Out
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,521
Joined: 19 Jun 2009 10:17
Location: Thames Valley

01 Aug 2018 17:39

Riding against Sky is probably a lot worse than riding for Sky in the Tour. Unless Sky are saying "lol you go Giro" I don't see him leaving.

He's been one of Sky's team leaders in some big races since the team's inception. Sky's probably gonna offer the most money anyway.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,308
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

01 Aug 2018 17:49

Red Rick wrote:Riding against Sky is probably a lot worse than riding for Sky in the Tour. Unless Sky are saying "lol you go Giro" I don't see him leaving.

He's been one of Sky's team leaders in some big races since the team's inception. Sky's probably gonna offer the most money anyway.


His best chance is probably riding next year exactly like this year and hope he has the same luck with no crashes/mechanicals. Then just sitting behind that train, hope he will be in same the great form and that he is strong enough to follow. If he stays and if he rides Tour.
Salvarani
Member
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 15 Oct 2017 15:25

01 Aug 2018 17:50

I guess it depends on his ambitions for the future, but it is difficult to see him leaving Sky
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,793
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

01 Aug 2018 18:28

He is too British to leave Sky I think, who else would put up with those sideburns.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 784
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

Re:

01 Aug 2018 19:26

Lequack wrote:He is too British to leave Sky I think, who else would put up with those sideburns.


He'd be shocked if he left. SDB seems to like him a lot.
bigcog
Member
 
Posts: 1,415
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 18:33

01 Aug 2018 21:12

So he didn’t sign a new contract pre Tour and therefore avoided making the biggest financial mistake of his life. Presumably he will now be able to extract a guarantee of coleadership if he wants the Tour again next year.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,397
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re:

01 Aug 2018 23:54

Eyeballs Out wrote:
If he takes a big contract elsewhere that sets him up for life after cycling what is the worst that can happen ? He's 32, has just won the Tour and at least he won't be getting booed all round France next July


2 things on the bold above.
1) It’s unlikely that any other team will be able to match what Sky will be offering him. Even if they do match, they’ll unlikely be able to exceed it by enough to tempt him away.
2) If the only money he ever receives again for the rest of his life is what the Beeb are going to pay him every 4 years to talk about Olympic cycling for 2 weeks, he’ll already be set. Olympic Gold Medallist and Tour de France winter Geraint Thomas is not going to be short a few bob no matter where he goes next.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

02 Aug 2018 01:18

Thomas has probably already noted that there is going to be another TTT in next year's Tour. BMC has been scattered to the four winds. What other team can offer him the same support as Sky ? If he signs for two more years with Sky and does well then he has a choice to maybe think of the money as his retirement contract instead of staying with a winning team maybe or maybe he will think by then that it makes no sense to change teams late in his career and at that age Sky will match what he could expect from elsewhere. Not every rider wants to ride until 37 or 38 although it seems to be happening more often these days but not so much with team leaders who are probably too used to winning by then and have no intentions of riding for younger riders. Usually it's the middle of the road GC riders like Roche or Kreuziger who opt for the domestique role instead of chasing top 10s and get paid well to do it.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,457
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Geraint Thomas

10 Aug 2018 15:07

SuperG yesterday at his homecoming celebration commenting on
his recent Tour victory: 'I thought it would be harder, actually.'
That must be demoralising for all the French riders, fans & media.
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

Re: Geraint Thomas

10 Aug 2018 15:37

oldcrank wrote:SuperG yesterday at his homecoming celebration commenting on
his recent Tour victory: 'I thought it would be harder, actually.'
That must be demoralising for all the French riders, fans & media.

Maybe he reads this forum and was expecting to be demolished by Valverde
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours
Member
 
Posts: 470
Joined: 23 Mar 2010 05:39

Re: Geraint Thomas

10 Aug 2018 17:11

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:
oldcrank wrote:SuperG yesterday at his homecoming celebration commenting on
his recent Tour victory: 'I thought it would be harder, actually.'
That must be demoralising for all the French riders, fans & media.

Maybe he reads this forum and was expecting to be demolished by Valverde

:lol: Ya can't blame him for respecting the opinions of the "experts" can you? :lol:
User avatar oldcrank
Member
 
Posts: 1,617
Joined: 24 Jul 2009 07:16

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Velolover2, WKA311 and 91 guests

Back to top