Register

2013 Paris Nice

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

28 Feb 2013 18:22

KarottenKarl wrote:Who will win the prologue?

Boonen/Kittel/Matthews/Gallopin/Gilbert
User avatar Pentacycle

28 Feb 2013 18:37

Pentacycle wrote:Boonen/Kittel/Matthews/Gallopin/Gilbert

I don't think Boonen will be in top 15.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 18:47

Pentacycle wrote:Boonen/Kittel/Matthews/Gallopin/Gilbert

perhaps Howard.
How about a rider like Kristoff? Can't find too many ITT results, but maybe he can sprint for 3km?
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 22:09

The question is: Is Rui Costa better climber than Quintana? I dont remember Rui Costa climbing at Contador or Purito level. Nairo did it in the past Vuelta. In Lagos de Covadonga he was up there instead of attacked twice in the foot of the climb and worked hard for Valverde. In Cuitu Negru he did it again. Even dropping Valverde in the final kilometres of the ascent. Then he crashed and couldnt stay with the GC guys in the Bola del Mundo day. But in the stages i have mentioned he had the legs of Contador, Purito or Valverde which is awesome with only 22 years. If this is not enough the 2013 Quintana should be better than the guy of the past season. That's progression. I cant understand why some people put the portuguese guy above Nairo. There is a flat ITT in the route and i havent seen it yet? In which terrain will Rui Costa take time to Quintana?
User avatar Jason_Mercier

28 Feb 2013 22:13

Do you people saw how Nairo dominated the past Vuelta a Andalucía? Or dont you?

28 Feb 2013 22:15

Jason_Mercier wrote:The question is: Is Rui Costa better climber than Quintana? I dont remember Rui Costa climbing at Contador or Purito level. Nairo did it in the past Vuelta. In Lagos de Covadonga he was up there instead of attacked twice in the foot of the climb and worked hard for Valverde. In Cuitu Negru he did it again. Even dropping Valverde in the final kilometres of the ascent. Then he crashed and couldnt stay with the favourites in the Bola del Mundo day. But in the stages i have mentioned he had the legs of Contador, Purito or Valverde which is awesome with only 22 years. If this is not enough the 2013 Quintana should be better than the guy of the past season. That's progression. I cant understand why some people put the portuguese guy above Nairo. There is a flat ITT in the route and i havent seen it yet? In which terrain will Rui Costa take time to Quintana?

The question is, does he have to? Luís León Sánchez outclimbed Evans and Samu on this terrain before. It's a tempo grinder's climb, and if it's not raced too aggressively then Costa could easily survive without much time loss on this. Quintana is obviously the better climber, but the Montagne de la Lure stage is pretty much a one-climb stage, the Col d'Èze ITT isn't outside Costa's remit at all and the route doesn't really have anything stupendously hard elsewhere to drop him.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 22:39

Of course i think he has to. Lure is 13 kms at 7%. Hard enough for a climber like Nairo to put Rui Costa in distance. And if he cant do it in Lure then in the ITT of Col d'Eze he will make the differences. He did it in 2010 in the ITT of Risoul in the Tour of Porvenir in a similar ascent. He put 40 seconds to one of the best riders for this terrain, Andrew Talansky. Isnt that enough argument?

28 Feb 2013 22:50

Jason_Mercier wrote:Of course i think he has to. Lure is 13 kms at 7%. Hard enough for a climber like Nairo to put Rui Costa in distance. And if he cant do it in Lure then in the ITT of Col d'Eze he will make the differences. He did it in 2010 in the ITT of Risoul in the Tour of Porvenir in a similar ascent. He put 40 seconds to one of the best riders for this terrain, Andrew Talansky. Isnt that enough argument?

But Nairo's not trying to put Rui at a distance. They're teammates. If the race is aggressive then sure, it splits to pieces and I'd expect Nairo to finish up further up the road than Rui. But if it isn't, then I wouldn't expect Rui to lose a huge amount of time unless it's Nairo himself that starts hostilities.

As for the TT, Rui is a strong time triallist, good at that kind of gradient and while Quintana has been impressive in the time trials as a U23, that's still a U23 race and this is a WT race.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 22:52

Libertine Seguros wrote:But Nairo's not trying to put Rui at a distance. They're teammates. If the race is aggressive then sure, it splits to pieces and I'd expect Nairo to finish up further up the road than Rui. But if it isn't, then I wouldn't expect Rui to lose a huge amount of time unless it's Nairo himself that starts hostilities.

As for the TT, Rui is a strong time triallist, good at that kind of gradient and while Quintana has been impressive in the time trials as a U23, that's still a U23 race and this is a WT race.

Stijn Devolder disagrees.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 22:53

Nairo has already said that he will search his opportunities and do his own race.

28 Feb 2013 23:04

Jason_Mercier wrote:Nairo has already said that he will search his opportunities and do his own race.

only chance is MTF TT. Movistar too well organised to do it in any other way.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 23:09

Jason I hope you will keep an eye out for Alexis Vuillermoz as well. Good friend and occasionally training-partner of Thibaut Pinot. (They are both from Franche-Comté). I truly belive he can have a solid Paris-Nice.
Jakob747

28 Feb 2013 23:13

Jason_Mercier wrote:Nairo has already said that he will search his opportunities and do his own race.
Not so fast buddy. :)

What is your objective at Paris-Nice?
We'll go day by day. My personal challenge is a top ten, but the team has other options such as Rui Costa. I want to be fairly regular, as always, and if there is a chance to win at some stage, we will try.

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=59783
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 23:37

Nairo has always been so conservative out of the road. If he says he will search a chance for stage IMO its clear he will try in Lure. I would bet for this.

28 Feb 2013 23:45

Jason_Mercier wrote:Nairo has always been so conservative out of the road. If he says he will search a chance for stage IMO its clear he will try in Lure. I would bet for this.

love it if it happens, but there are team radios in play.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

28 Feb 2013 23:46

Jakob747 wrote:Jason I hope you will keep an eye out for Alexis Vuillermoz as well. Good friend and occasionally training-partner of Thibaut Pinot. (They are both from Franche-Comté). I truly belive he can have a solid Paris-Nice.

I have read some things about this rider in the spanish forum. French champion in juniors category and second in the "Espoirs" World Championship in MTB. Interesting guy to follow.

01 Mar 2013 09:11

Race Predictions??
hayzer114

01 Mar 2013 09:32

I honestly feel that Porte, Gesink and Talansky are the favourites here.

I also think Quintana if unleashed will be a real factor and could win. Then again so could Costa but i will cheer for good mountain attacks and i do not know whether Costa can beat the likes of Porte/ Talansky in the Time-Trials.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

01 Mar 2013 09:42

I bet for this: Quintana, Porte, Gesink.

01 Mar 2013 10:05

Dazed and Confused wrote:perhaps Howard.
How about a rider like Kristoff? Can't find too many ITT results, but maybe he can sprint for 3km?

He was 13th on the 14,5 km ITT in Tour of Denmark last year. Except from that, he has never really done a good TT.

So I doubt he can do well here. His TT position is terrible.
maltiv
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing