Log in:  

Register

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2013, 23 Feb, (198 km) 1.HC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Feb 2013 22:52

serfla wrote:I doubt we'll see anything relevant for P-R on Saturday.


Well, Boonen is riding with one arm and Cancellara is sitting at home eating some concoction of melted cheese so yes, there will be bigger players at P-R. Still I would not discount the "youngsters" here.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,551
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 23:02

Dazed and Confused wrote:Well, Boonen is riding with one arm and Cancellara is sitting at home eating some concoction of melted cheese so yes, there will be bigger players at P-R. Still I would not discount the "youngsters" here.

I meant more about Omloop as an indicator for P-R selection than the bigger players you're talking about.
Omloop is great race for every up-and-coming rider. It has always been.
User avatar serfla
Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

21 Feb 2013 23:20

serfla wrote:I meant more about Omloop as an indicator for P-R selection than the bigger players you're talking about.
Omloop is great race for every up-and-coming rider. It has always been.


Lets just hope we get to see the action somehow. I know TV production is done and frankly thats the hard part.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,551
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 23:30

Dazed and Confused wrote:Lets just hope we get to see the action somehow. I know TV production is done and frankly thats the hard part.

I'll rely on links posted here hoping they won't be restricted.
Racing in Flanders is something I truly adore.
User avatar serfla
Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

21 Feb 2013 23:30

Pentacycle wrote:Yeah, indeed. I always figured the Kwaremont would suit him. It's almost like a French pavé on a hill, a climb for rouleurs. But this year he seems to be climbing very well compared to last year, so he could improve massively on his previous results in Flanders.


The biggest issue Boom has is that he often doesn't "keep going" ... he has a spectacular acceleration but then falls still. I think this year it's better though, considering he also won a longer time trial already. Thats something new
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 23,724
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 23:37

Pentacycle wrote:He's still somewhat unproven on cobbled hills. When has he ever ridden with the big guys in a spring classic like that?


It wasn't spring, but he looked alright on the Muur in the ENECO last year. Dropped Contador and stayed with Ballan, and Ballan is no slouch on the bergs.
Cult Classics
Junior Member
 
Posts: 200
Joined: 19 Jul 2011 21:25

22 Feb 2013 00:33

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:The biggest issue Boom has is that he often doesn't "keep going" ... he has a spectacular acceleration but then falls still. I think this year it's better though, considering he also won a longer time trial already. Thats something new


Nah, Boom's biggest problem is that he's been hyped up to the point he could win the Tour de France. Boom's been told for his entire career he's the best or he's special. Combine that with unreal expectations at that point and an engine that wasn't big enough to compete with the big boys and you have Boom's story so far. He has the ability, but there's so many others.
Der Effe
Member
 
Posts: 1,362
Joined: 20 Sep 2011 09:48
Location: Netherlands

22 Feb 2013 01:58

serfla wrote:Phinney still has to prove himself.
No doubt the team will work for Hushovd in P-R. Phinney may just be freed of duties if opportunity arises.
That's how I see the things.


Hopefully BMC sees it that way too. Phinney should be given a shot here. Is Phinney free of contract at year's end?
I tell ya, it's not the water.
User avatar BillytheKid
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,441
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 06:13
Location: Left of the Duke City

22 Feb 2013 02:23

BillytheKid wrote:Hopefully BMC sees it that way too. Phinney should be given a shot here. Is Phinney free of contract at year's end?


Rhis will not let go of Phinney. Plenty of others to dump before that happens.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,551
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Feb 2013 02:40

Dazed and Confused wrote:Rhis will not let go of Phinney. Plenty of others to dump before that happens.


Nor should he. BMC has been a great team for him. They have a strong classics squad that can fully support him, Hushovd can't keep going forever. And when Hushovd can't compete with the top guys anymore, Phinney will be primed and ready to take his place as BMC's main guy for Roubaix and other cobbled races.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

22 Feb 2013 02:46

Sciatic wrote:I just posted the link to the timetable 4 posts above yours. Don't know what time coverage will begin though. For these March races there is usually a stream going by between 5:00-5:30 pacific time/1400-1430 CET. I'm usually not willing to wake before that on a weekend so I don't know if there will be coverage even earlier.


Damn, I'm going to miss this. How is it that so many of my races are going on at the same time as pro races in Europe?:mad:

Maybe I'll see if it's up on cyclingtorrents when I get back. Not sure if I'll have the willpower not to check the result though.
Sciatic wrote:http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme

Also, if you click on the Omloop news on the page I've linked, the article includes short video highlights of all the races back to 2007 and few going as far back as the 1980s.


Just watched those. Hoste, always complaining. :p
User avatar jaylew
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,039
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 05:46
Location: ATX

22 Feb 2013 09:39

good morning cycling fans. I'll have my picks up on the wheeliebets website at 5.30 GMT if anyone is looking :-)

I am like a kid on Christmas Eve, why do I never get tired of this, I'm a 35 year old man!

Love this race, dry and windy conditions expected. Boonen to blow the race apart on the Taainberg again but the damage will be done by the cross winds on Paddestraat and Lange Munte. 24 kmph winds in around Gent for tomorrow afternoon

Honestly would love to quit the day job and just become a full time tifosi. the freten and beer are cheap as chips :)
wheelie1977
Junior Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 02 Jan 2013 11:44
Location: Ireland

22 Feb 2013 09:43

BillytheKid wrote:Hopefully BMC sees it that way too. Phinney should be given a shot here. Is Phinney free of contract at year's end?

I don't know if his contract expires at the end of the year. Four years was maximum length mentioned when he was signing and two years minimum.
It probably turned out to be four, since this is third season and makes no sense for BMC to extend it just for a year, if it was a three year contract.
He shouldn't leave though, even if it ends at the end of the year.
User avatar serfla
Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

22 Feb 2013 10:28

Sciatic wrote:http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme

Also, if you click on the Omloop news on the page I've linked, the article includes short video highlights of all the races back to 2007 and few going as far back as the 1980s.


Hard going in 1985 :eek:
"There's someone coming through the mist . . . it can't be . . . it is! .. Oh, sorry, my mistake. It isn't"
User avatar Armchair cyclist
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,862
Joined: 22 Mar 2010 17:28
Location: East of England, West of Ireland

22 Feb 2013 13:58

wheelie1977 wrote:good morning cycling fans. I'll have my picks up on the wheeliebets website at 5.30 GMT if anyone is looking :-)

I am like a kid on Christmas Eve, why do I never get tired of this, I'm a 35 year old man!

Love this race, dry and windy conditions expected. Boonen to blow the race apart on the Taainberg again but the damage will be done by the cross winds on Paddestraat and Lange Munte. 24 kmph winds in around Gent for tomorrow afternoon

Honestly would love to quit the day job and just become a full time tifosi. the freten and beer are cheap as chips :)


Best bet imo is Roelandts top 3 (got it at 3.75 unibet). which bookies do you use?

very small bets are stybar and gatto to win/top3.


For Kuurne i like Greipel to win and Hutarovich/Kristoff top 3
belvedere86
New Member
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 18 Jan 2011 17:11
Location: Belgium-Flanders

22 Feb 2013 14:05

belvedere86 wrote:Best bet imo is Roelandts top 3 (got it at 3.75 unibet). which bookies do you use?

very small bets are stybar and gatto to win/top3.


For Kuurne i like Greipel to win and Hutarovich/Kristoff top 3

And Here is the betting thread :)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

22 Feb 2013 15:53

Dazed and Confused wrote:Well, Boonen is riding with one arm and Cancellara is sitting at home eating some concoction of melted cheese so yes, there will be bigger players at P-R. Still I would not discount the "youngsters" here.


I wonder why is everyone downplaying Cancellaras chances :confused:
User avatar iZnoGouD
Member
 
Posts: 1,251
Joined: 18 Feb 2011 21:39

22 Feb 2013 16:00

iZnoGouD wrote:I wonder why is everyone downplaying Cancellaras chances :confused:


Maybe because he isn't riding?:p
BlenJones2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Oct 2012 10:40

22 Feb 2013 16:03

because it's hard to win a race you won't be riding. . . . i guess that's why
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,232
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

22 Feb 2013 16:30

Thanks, Netserk.

Hope Oman and Het Nieuwsblad is enough, and that they don´t start this sh.t in every race thread throughout the season now...
RHRH19861986
Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jakob747 and 17 guests

Back to top