Log in:  

Register

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2013, 23 Feb, (198 km) 1.HC

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Feb 2013 22:03

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:Boom is in good form, but still not entirely convinced on the cobbles. we'll see.
what time does coverage start on Saturday?


He was there in paris-roubaix though last year.
thehog wrote:JV if you truly wish to save cycling.

Do something.

You know it's not real.

Your Garmin guys are getting killed.
User avatar Miburo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,832
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

21 Feb 2013 22:08

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:Boom is in good form, but still not entirely convinced on the cobbles. we'll see.
what time does coverage start on Saturday?


:confused: sorry, what?
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,174
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:09

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:what time does coverage start on Saturday?


Looks like the Sporza coverage starts at 14:00 CET.
Viking
Junior Member
 
Posts: 164
Joined: 18 Jun 2012 15:30

21 Feb 2013 22:10

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:Boom is in good form, but still not entirely convinced on the cobbles. we'll see.
what time does coverage start on Saturday?


Boom is podium material for sure.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,631
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 22:10

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:Boom is in good form, but still not entirely convinced on the cobbles. we'll see.
what time does coverage start on Saturday?


Imagine this, just with different colors. Vanmarcke, Boom, Wynants and Martens TT away from the field, then it's up to the DS to decide who wins.

On a more serious note, Roelandts made himself look like a climber in the Tour Med. He has to win this now with his seemingly close to peak form, and he doesn't even have to attack to do so. It's time he proves he can indeed step up to the level of the big classics contenders.

Boonen will probably end up 3 mins. behind, together with Hushovd. Tbh it's a lottery at this point. Who suspected last year Vanmarcke was already in such good shape? Some riders may have been trying to hide their true strength...
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,284
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:12

Viking wrote:Looks like the Sporza coverage starts at 14:00 CET.


so about 2 1/2 h live coverage somewhere.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,631
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 22:14

Dekker_Tifosi wrote::confused: sorry, what?


He's still somewhat unproven on cobbled hills. When has he ever ridden with the big guys in a spring classic like that?
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,284
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:15

Pentacycle wrote:Imagine this, just with different colors. Vanmarcke, Boom, Wynants and Martens TT away from the field, then it's up to the DS to decide who wins.

On a more serious note, Roelandts made himself look like a climber in the Tour Med. He has to win this now with his seemingly close to peak form, and he doesn't even have to attack to do so. It's time he proves he can indeed step up to the level of the big classics contenders.

Boonen will probably end up 3 mins. behind, together with Hushovd. Tbh it's a lottery at this point. Who suspected last year Vanmarcke was already in such good shape? Some riders may have been trying to hide their true strength...


Hushovd will not soft peddle here. He needs to hammer his authority on the team selection for P-R at this point.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,631
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 22:24

Dazed and Confused wrote:Hushovd will not soft peddle here. He needs to hammer his authority on the team selection for P-R at this point.

I'm sure P-R leadership was part of the contract with BMC. Won't be a factor on Saturday, I think.
User avatar serfla
Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

21 Feb 2013 22:25

serfla wrote:I'm sure P-R leadership was part of the contract with BMC. Won't be a factor on Saturday, I think.


Yeah even last year he was leader there, despite complete lack of results.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,284
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:26

Pentacycle wrote:He's still somewhat unproven on cobbled hills. When has he ever ridden with the big guys in a spring classic like that?


Did you completely miss Paris Roubaix last 2 years? The guy has proven to be extremely fast on cobble sections. Only Boonen and Cancellara are outer class (in top form). He can handle anyone else
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,174
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:28

serfla wrote:I'm sure P-R leadership was part of the contract with BMC. Won't be a factor on Saturday, I think.


Hushovd is starting to be less of an asset to BMC compared to Phinney. I don't think Rhis cares two cent about the finer details of Hushovd's contract if he can't deliver this year.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,631
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 22:29

Pentacycle wrote:He's still somewhat unproven on cobbled hills. When has he ever ridden with the big guys in a spring classic like that?


last year P-R he looked pretty strong.
User avatar gerundium
Member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: 01 Jan 2012 22:26

21 Feb 2013 22:30

gerundium wrote:last year P-R he looked pretty strong.


you mean the Arenberg hills?
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,631
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 22:32

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Did you completely miss Paris Roubaix last 2 years? The guy has proven to be extremely fast on cobble sections. Only Boonen and Cancellara are outer class (in top form). He can handle anyone else


In PR he's already proven his class, but I clearly said cobbled hills, not just cobbles. He rode well in ENECO last year, but what has he ever done in the Flemish Ardennes in the spring? I can't remember him ever riding with the best there.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,284
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:34

Dazed and Confused wrote:Hushovd is starting to be less of an asset to BMC compared to Phinney. I don't think Rhis cares two cent about the finer details of Hushovd's contract if he can't deliver this year.

Phinney still has to prove himself.
No doubt the team will work for Hushovd in P-R. Phinney may just be freed of duties if opportunity arises.
That's how I see the things.
User avatar serfla
Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

21 Feb 2013 22:35

He did well in the E3 Prijs cobbled hills ,especially oude kwaremont, two times.

The edition Cancellara won so easily (in the end) he almost closed the gap to Cancellara, but when they turned to the asphalt he lost it again
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,174
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

21 Feb 2013 22:41

serfla wrote:Phinney still has to prove himself.
No doubt the team will work for Hushovd in P-R. Phinney may just be freed of duties if opportunity arises.
That's how I see the things.


Yes, Phinney is unproven in P-R, but more valuable PR wise for BMC, a company that likes the US market. You can spin the story for a few years, even without results. Thats how I see it. Now we will see reality on Saturday.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,631
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

21 Feb 2013 22:44

Dazed and Confused wrote:Yes, Phinney is unproven in P-R, but more valuable PR wise for BMC, a company that likes the US market. You can spin the story for a few years, even without results. Thats how I see it. Now we will see reality on Saturday.

I doubt we'll see anything relevant for P-R on Saturday.
User avatar serfla
Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

21 Feb 2013 22:47

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He did well in the E3 Prijs cobbled hills ,especially oude kwaremont, two times.

The edition Cancellara won so easily (in the end) he almost closed the gap to Cancellara, but when they turned to the asphalt he lost it again


Yeah, indeed. I always figured the Kwaremont would suit him. It's almost like a French pavé on a hill, a climb for rouleurs. But this year he seems to be climbing very well compared to last year, so he could improve massively on his previous results in Flanders.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,284
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drebelo, Jancouver, manolo57, Mavic, the delgados and 19 guests

Back to top