Register

Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

17 Jun 2016 16:14

Yeah he was yoyoing but made a nice recovery!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

18 Jun 2016 01:51

jmdirt wrote:AT had another solid day and could still win the GC at TdS.

He is well placed and can do a good TT.
movingtarget
Veteran

18 Jun 2016 18:39

He's got a shot a the TdS GC.

Not to talk about another race before this one ends, but I hope his form puts him in the battle at the TdF. As I have said many times, I would like to see 10 guys battling for the GC.
jmdirt

Re:

19 Jun 2016 01:32

jmdirt wrote:He's got a shot a the TdS GC.

Not to talk about another race before this one ends, but I hope his form puts him in the battle at the TdF. As I have said many times, I would like to see 10 guys battling for the GC.

What do you mean by this? You'll never see 10 guys coming in with an equal shot of winning the Tour. Most of the times there's about 3 big favorites, maybe just 2. Talansky will most likely be in a 3rd group of riders fighting for 7-10.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Re:

19 Jun 2016 08:05

Jspear wrote:

What do you mean by this? You'll never see 10 guys coming in with an equal shot of winning the Tour.

Not 10, but after Puerto, there were quite a few riders touted as potential 2006 Tour winners: Klöden, Menchov, Leipheimer, Sastre, Evans, Landis. Pereiro later joined the party too. If Bala hadn't crashed and Vinokourov had been allowed to race, you could conceivably have had 8 riders fighting for the overall.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

19 Jun 2016 12:38

Jspear wrote:

What do you mean by this? You'll never see 10 guys coming in with an equal shot of winning the Tour. Most of the times there's about 3 big favorites, maybe just 2. Talansky will most likely be in a 3rd group of riders fighting for 7-10.

What I mean by that is that it would be exciting to see 10 guys battling for GC instead of one or two. Even if AT is in the group battling for 7-10 as you say, if he and the others in the top 10 are close enough in time to make it more exciting that would be fantastic.
jmdirt

19 Jun 2016 13:17

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Jspear wrote:

What do you mean by this? You'll never see 10 guys coming in with an equal shot of winning the Tour.

Not 10, but after Puerto, there were quite a few riders touted as potential 2006 Tour winners: Klöden, Menchov, Leipheimer, Sastre, Evans, Landis. Pereiro later joined the party too. If Bala hadn't crashed and Vinokourov had been allowed to race, you could conceivably have had 8 riders fighting for the overall.

No Contador, Froome, Quintana or Nibali in that list. No wonder it was more open!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

19 Jun 2016 20:33

Unbelievable that he managed to lose his Suisse podium in a descent. I think he was right there with Costa and Barguil on the top of the climb and while these two managed to return to the front group, Talansky came a minute behind. I wonder what went wrong.
PeterB

Re:

19 Jun 2016 20:41

PeterB wrote:Unbelievable that he managed to lose his Suisse podium in a descent. I think he was right there with Costa and Barguil on the top of the climb and while these two managed to return to the front group, Talansky came a minute behind. I wonder what went wrong.

What went wrong is that he's a poor descender on wet roads!
User avatar Mr.White

19 Jun 2016 21:07

Mr.White wrote:What went wrong is that he's a poor descender on wet roads!

That comes as a kind of surprise because he was dropping his opponents on a downhill during stage 17 of last year's TdF.

But then the road was dry...
Anderis

19 Jun 2016 21:37

he did a great descent on a very technical road in the wet on the Paris-Nice stage he won in 2013. he most likely just didn't want to crash before the Tour.
User avatar zlev11

Re:

19 Jun 2016 21:40

zlev11 wrote:he did a great descent on a very technical road in the wet on the Paris-Nice stage he won in 2013. he most likely just didn't want to crash before the Tour.

I think that this is it.
jmdirt

Re:

19 Jun 2016 21:49

zlev11 wrote:he did a great descent on a very technical road in the wet on the Paris-Nice stage he won in 2013. he most likely just didn't want to crash before the Tour.

He also did a great one on the final stage of the 2014 Dauphine and last year he dropped everyone on the technical Col d'Allos descent, descending has never been a problem for him.
User avatar Mayomaniac

19 Jun 2016 22:32

Mayomaniac wrote:

He also did a great one on the final stage of the 2014 Dauphine and last year he dropped everyone on the technical Col d'Allos descent, descending has never been a problem for him.

You did not see Paris-Nice this year?
User avatar liamito

20 Jun 2016 03:25

liamito wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:

You did not see Paris-Nice this year?

Or 2014 Tour where he crashed daily before abandoning

Edit: König on Talansky:

"On the last descent the IDIOT Talansky took me down in about 60kmh. Yesterday he was blaming Gerrans even though it was his fault and today he took us down again. Those kind of people shouldnt be here. I have to talk to him, I dont like it"
burning

20 Jun 2016 10:14

jmdirt wrote:

I think that this is it.

If he was just cautious because of the Tour, then I do not know what to think about it. Tejay should have the same interest of not crashing before the Tour, and unlike Talansky, he had nothing really to lose or gain from the last stage (podium unlikely, already one stage win), yet he did not mind descending at full speed.

His latest tweet does not provide any further hint either
Bummed to lose podium yesterday but I can't thank the riders and staff from @Ride_Argyle enough for their support during the ups and downs
So he either really became bad descender, or the team told him to be careful, even if the podium was at stake, because they have high expectations from him at the Tour? Anyway, a pity, it would be great for the team to have him on a podium. Although Barguil instead of him was also nice.
PeterB

20 Jun 2016 10:36

jmdirt wrote:

I think that this is it.

So... Losing out on a podium in one of the biggest 1-week races to save for the 10th place in Le Tour...
If his name was Contador or Froome, yes, that would make sense. But now?
Volderke

20 Jun 2016 11:42

There are much better riders than him. Top 10 in the Tour will be hard...
User avatar Mr.White

Re:

20 Jun 2016 14:08

Mr.White wrote:There are much better riders than him. Top 10 in the Tour will be hard...

On paper yes, but it's a gt and so many things can happen. People bonk for "no reason", get sick, crash, ect. IF he truly has good form then he'll be fighting for a top 10 imo - 1. because he's a decent rider when in good form, 2. because not everyone who can beat him will finish.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

20 Jun 2016 15:17

Talansky finished 11th last year despite his form being way off his best. I don't understand people questioning his ability to finish in the top10. There are many guys who can climb better than him on a given stage, but Talansky's recovery is better than most of them.

There's a good chance that Talansky will be prepared better this year than last year based on his Tour de Suisse. And once again I repeat: last year he came home 11th and it was a Tour which had less DNFs than average among top guys. It's not 100% sure Talansky will finish in the top10 but he has a good chance if he avoids troubles during preparation and the race.
Anderis

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing