Register

Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

20 Jun 2016 15:38

Anderis wrote:Talansky finished 11th last year despite his form being way off his best. I don't understand people questioning his ability to finish in the top10. There are many guys who can climb better than him on a given stage, but Talansky's recovery is better than most of them.

There's a good chance that Talansky will be prepared better this year than last year based on his Tour de Suisse. And once again I repeat: last year he came home 11th and it was a Tour which had less DNFs than average among top guys. It's not 100% sure Talansky will finish in the top10 but he has a good chance if he avoids troubles during preparation and the race.

I agree with this entirely. All a rider with Talansky's recovery abilities and his good time trialing needs to do to break the to 10 is avoid falling off while being the sixteenth or seventeenth best climber or something. Talansky should be able to that without having to show anything he hasn't shown before.

What I'm concerned about is whether or not he's ever going to show anything that again suggests he could be more than a reliable 8th to 11th place fringe GC rider.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

21 Jun 2016 12:30

Anderis wrote:Talansky finished 11th last year despite his form being way off his best. I don't understand people questioning his ability to finish in the top10. There are many guys who can climb better than him on a given stage, but Talansky's recovery is better than most of them.

There's a good chance that Talansky will be prepared better this year than last year based on his Tour de Suisse. And once again I repeat: last year he came home 11th and it was a Tour which had less DNFs than average among top guys. It's not 100% sure Talansky will finish in the top10 but he has a good chance if he avoids troubles during preparation and the race.

If he aims for the top 10 then I think he will finish there. That's a much lower goal than even aiming for top 5. Look, I like him as much as anyone and he's proven he can win a big race and can climb/TT, but Froome/Qintana/Contador and maybe a few others like Porte and Pinot are a level above him right now. I'd much rather see him win a mountain stage and finish Top 10 than try for Top 3-5 and get bupkis...
Bolder

22 Jun 2016 18:24

He is skipping the TdF and racing the VaE I haven't looked at the profile yet, but I think this is a good move for him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/talansky-will-miss-tour-de-france-focus-on-vuelta-a-espana/
jmdirt

Re:

22 Jun 2016 18:34

jmdirt wrote:He is skipping the TdF and racing the VaE I haven't looked at the profile yet, but I think this is a good move for him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/talansky-will-miss-tour-de-france-focus-on-vuelta-a-espana/

Wow, this sounds like wise decision. There are too many second tier riders obsessed with the tour who would be better off focusing on some other race. And the team still can try their luck at the Tour with Rolland. It's also good to see that Talansky is not too disappointed about that and looks forward to Vuelta.
PeterB

22 Jun 2016 18:42

I note that he signed a new contract. Presumably he had to take a significant pay cut, given that he signed his last contract just after winning the Dauphine and has had rather limited results since.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

22 Jun 2016 22:25

jmdirt wrote:He is skipping the TdF and racing the VaE I haven't looked at the profile yet, but I think this is a good move for him.

Great decision IMO! At le Tour he is a top ten rider at best and at le Vuelta, on form he could do much better. Hopefully :)
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

22 Jun 2016 22:31

We know that many Vueltas in recent years were won by riders who didn't participate in any GT earlier that year.

One can dream. :D
Anderis

Re:

23 Jun 2016 17:58

I also didn't analise the Vuelta route much so far but Vuelta is the GT that suits him the least out of 3, I'm afraid. Talansky is not good on short, explosive climbs, that are typical for Spanish GT.
Anderis

Re: Re:

23 Jun 2016 19:32

Anderis wrote:

I also didn't analise the Vuelta route much so far but Vuelta is the GT that suits him the least out of 3, I'm afraid. Talansky is not good on short, explosive climbs, that are typical for Spanish GT.

I agree with you on that. The GdI might be his best terrain. Maybe a solid VaE, a solid early spring, and then a shot at the GdI?
jmdirt

19 May 2017 02:14

AT won the big Baldy climb today at ToC. Maybe his form is good and this will help his mental form so that he can ride well in July. Keep it rollin' AT!
jmdirt

19 May 2017 13:19

As one American folds, another rises...

Looks like Tejay won't get it done, but hopefully Andrew Talansky can pick up the slack! I think a top 10 performance in the Tour de France is definitely possible... keeping my fingers crossed!
DanielSong39

Re:

19 May 2017 16:35

DanielSong39 wrote:As one American folds, another rises...

Looks like Tejay won't get it done, but hopefully Andrew Talansky can pick up the slack! I think a top 10 performance in the Tour de France is definitely possible... keeping my fingers crossed!

He's already been around. Gotten a few top 10's in GT's....I don't think he's gonna get any better. Sure he might get a top 10 in the Tour, but it's kinda sad if that's the only hope the US has right now. He's not a real contender for victory.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

19 May 2017 17:18

Well, relatively speaking. He did have a little mid-career slump that he is coming out of.
DanielSong39

Re:

19 May 2017 19:34

DanielSong39 wrote:Well, relatively speaking. He did have a little mid-career slump that he is coming out of.

Crashed out of one Tour after winning Dauphine because of a long range attack and the next year he finished 11th on gc and justmissed a stage win because Ryder wasn't able to keep the gap to Geschke under control, that wasn't a great Tour, but still a solid one.
For me he's in the same league as König, maybe König is a bit more consistent as a gt rider, but Talansky is better in shorter stage races.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

19 May 2017 19:34

DanielSong39 wrote:Well, relatively speaking. He did have a little mid-career slump that he is coming out of.

Yeah, I'm glad to see him showing the mental resilience to get his career back on the right track.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

20 May 2017 02:11

Mayomaniac wrote:

Crashed out of one Tour after winning Dauphine because of a long range attack and the next year he finished 11th on gc and justmissed a stage win because Ryder wasn't able to keep the gap to Geschke under control, that wasn't a great Tour, but still a solid one.
For me he's in the same league as König, maybe König is a bit more consistent as a gt rider, but Talansky is better in shorter stage races.

What a crazy break that was! What a stage that was! And with half the action before the broadcast even started.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

20 May 2017 03:14

Talansky is the next TJ. Just a prediction ...
User avatar Jancouver

Re:

20 May 2017 10:30

Jancouver wrote:Talansky is the next TJ. Just a prediction ...

Two top 5's in the tour would be very nice for him.
Ikbengodniet

20 May 2017 10:39

Ikbengodniet wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Talansky is the next TJ. Just a prediction ...

Two top 5's in the tour would be very nice for him.

But he can't win the white jersey classification anymore. :(
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

20 May 2017 12:41

I don't think that the can finish top 5, the route doesn't suit him not enough km of ITT, top 10 on the other hand could be possible.
User avatar Mayomaniac

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing